mj_1109

Should we switch from consular processing to AOS?

10 posts in this topic

My husband and I have been together for 3 years, married for 1 year. I am from the Philippines and he is a US citizen. We filed I-130 in June 2024.

I am currently in the US visiting him for 7 weeks (B2 visa) and on extended leave from work. This is my 3rd time coming here, first time as his wife. We got married last year on my 2nd visit but left shortly after for my job. When I entered the US this time, they put me through second screening, asked if we already filed a petition, and was told it is important that I go back home and continue the process there. The first 2 times I visited was smooth, I was coming in from the UK as I used to work there. I have a clean record and no history of overstay in any of the countries I've visited before.

When I came here, my intention was really to just visit and come back. I have a return flight booked, didn’t bring a lot of important documents and belongings, only on leave from my job. Now that we’re together, we’re really dreading the day we’ll be apart again and counting down the days. I didn’t know you could switch to AOS after already starting consular processing and just found out now that we’re looking if there is an option to stay together. Continuing the process in PH will take roughly 2 more years. We’ve been in LDR from the beginning of our relationship.

This is probably the last time I’m visiting as a tourist as I really don’t want to risk getting denied entry. Is it possible for me to adjust status despite what they told me at the border? Is it going to affect my application negatively? Or should I just go home? We have a pretty straightforward case so I don't want to complicate anything. We just want to know if it is even an option without risking denial. We used SimpleCitizen when we filed and have a consultation we haven’t used so we might ask an attorney, but just wanted to hear from anyone with the same experience. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
58 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

This would mean I wouldn't contemplate taking the risk and trying to stay personally. Presumably they questioned you and you told them you were planning on going back? 

That's where I am leaning, too.  Ordinarily, it wouldn't be an issue.  However, the only case I can recall being denied at the adjustment of status interview for misrepresentation happened exactly as the OP described.  The person was accused of misrepresentation due to specific statements she made during a secondary CBP interview regarding her intent.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, appleblossom said:

This would mean I wouldn't contemplate taking the risk and trying to stay personally. Presumably they questioned you and you told them you were planning on going back? 

Yes, the first officer asked me most of the questions. On second screening, the officer just asked me if I already have a petition filed. I told them I did and was going back to continue the process.

34 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

However, the only case I can recall being denied at the adjustment of status interview for misrepresentation happened exactly as the OP described.  The person was accused of misrepresentation due to specific statements she made during a secondary CBP interview regarding her intent.  

Thanks, that's helpful to know. I wouldn't want to risk it if that's the case. I couldn't find much information about others with the same case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

There was a poster who tried to adjust status from her student visa.  She married a US citizen, filed I-130 and I-485.  USCIS denied her adjustment based on something from her entry to the US and what was told/discussed with CBP.

I would not risk it, in OP's case.

I'd be interested in seeing that one if you can find it.  Thanks.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

I'd be interested in seeing that one if you can find it.  Thanks.

It was a post from about a year or two ago.  I tried to find it by going through all the posts I've read in Adjusting from Student Visa, Visa Waiver and General Immigration forum topics with no luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.