DELTAFOXTROT

Tourist Visa for Mother in Law from Philippines

47 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

I can only rely on my firsthand experience from dealing with the CO's at the actual Inteview.

When did you go to this interview? Your VisaJourney timeline needs to be filled out.

Regardless, usually K1 interviews are done by the Immigrant Visa section of the consulate as opposed to the Nonimmigrant Visa section that handles B2s, and they would not necessarily follow the same practices.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi OP,

you asked if people on this forum believe whether it’s worth it to fly to Manila to be part of the tourist visa interview. The general consensus seems to be no. You can try, though. Who knows, you might be lucky. Either way, you got your answer. 

lets move it along, y’all

Reading is what? Fun-da-men-tal!

especially during your Visa Journey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Yareth said:

Hi OP,

you asked if people on this forum believe whether it’s worth it to fly to Manila to be part of the tourist visa interview. The general consensus seems to be no. You can try, though. Who knows, you might be lucky. Either way, you got your answer. 

I appreciate the peace-maker in your post, but I still need to know where I can just walk in and be treated like a God, as an American.

My birthday is coming up, and the birthday discounts aren't what they used to be, so I'm - as a good American - hustling like a boss.  

Edited by EmilyW

On 9/27/2024 at 5:21 PM, JKLSemicolon said:

When did you go to this interview? Your VisaJourney timeline needs to be filled out.

Regardless, usually K1 interviews are done by the Immigrant Visa section of the consulate as opposed to the Nonimmigrant Visa section that handles B2s, and they would not necessarily follow the same practices.

Incorrect:

When I did my K1 I was the very last person to do an interview with the CO, I sit on the front row and purposely sit there so I could ease drop and watch other visa interviews go down, I had no clue I would be the last to be called. I think I watched my CO do 3 tourist visa interviews, I could hear them chatting and one had like a family like 3 people doing the actual interview.

My K1 was like 10 years ago

On 9/27/2024 at 12:50 PM, Timona said:

OP, you and your MIL are 2 elderly people. How are you going to assist her? What can she not do that you can, being that you 2 are both elderly? It's like the blind leading the blind. 

Wouldn't it be better if someone younger than you 2 assisted MIL? Someone already in Philippines? Her other daughter? 

Aren't you not the same age as your MIL? 

I am 10 years younger, but still in great shape, I am like 6'2" and 230lbs and considered "Macho" in the Philippines is what I am called. I would say I look around 50 years old, but I exercise daily and I am in very good shape.

On 9/28/2024 at 5:07 AM, Yareth said:

Hi OP,

General Consensus was that I wouldn't even get in the building, which they were corrected by another poster and then by me.

I would really like to see if she can get approved on her own without me pulling any strings or me having to show up.   Long time ago I met the mayor of Davao City at a friends birthday party, and believe it or not that dude became President recently, Duterte is no longer President since they can only serve one term for 6 years, but I am sure he still has pull with the US Embassy.  My best friend who I have known going on 17 years now is the Presidents buddy and they worked together for decades. So I could call my buddy and have him get hold of President Duterte and pull strings that way, if needed.   I just don't want to be pulling favors unless I really need them like I got arrested or something like that.

2 minutes ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

General Consensus was that I wouldn't even get in the building, which they were corrected by another poster and then by me.

I would really like to see if she can get approved on her own without me pulling any strings or me having to show up.   Long time ago I met the mayor of Davao City at a friends birthday party, and believe it or not that dude became President recently, Duterte is no longer President since they can only serve one term for 6 years, but I am sure he still has pull with the US Embassy.  My best friend who I have known going on 17 years now is the Presidents buddy and they worked together for decades. So I could call my buddy and have him get hold of President Duterte and pull strings that way, if needed.   I just don't want to be pulling favors unless I really need them like I got arrested or something like that.

If all it takes for you to guarantee your MIL gets a tourist visa is to “pull strings” via a phone call, why would you even consider making a 15 hour $2k flight?

What could she bring as evidence? I really can't think of anything for her to bring other than herself and the required appointment paperwork.  If we put a couple millions pesos into her bank account and let it season I am thinking that is a waste of effort. CO don't really care about Bank accounts for tourist visas, I am sure they know that we or me will be paying for her tickets to USA and of course staying in my house. I am sure CO has done thousands of tourist visa interviews already.

My understanding is most if not all the time for a mothers tourist visa, the CO wouldn't even bother to look at your paperwork, if you had some.

I think the CO already has the Tourist visa either approved, denied or "Maybe" when you get your interview, the approved and denied are quick and fast interview, it's the ones that are in the "maybe" stack where the CO does some actual in depth questioning.

From my wife talking to a few of her Filipina friends in the area, there really isn't anything to bring.  The fact her mother is older and the fact that my wife has her US Citizenship and hasn't applied to bring her or any family members via petitions pretty much means her mother will return to Philippines and that will be a "Compelling Reason" to return to Philippines.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Topics Merged***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• Crazy Cat changed the title to Tourist Visa for Mother in Law from Philippines
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
57 minutes ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

Which was not an answer to the question you posed - I was trying to stick to the subject. 
I'm convinced you've already made up your mind. I wish you all the best!

Reading is what? Fun-da-men-tal!

especially during your Visa Journey

4 hours ago, SalishSea said:

If all it takes for you to guarantee your MIL gets a tourist visa is to “pull strings” via a phone call, why would you even consider making a 15 hour $2k flight?

If you read my post I said I would really like to see if she can get approved on her own ".

My strings are not a phone call, it's would be a FB Messenger to my buddy where it 13 hours advanced, I would hope I can get hold of him in a timely manner, and then he would have to get hold of somebody else, too many string pulling in to short of a time. Would the ex pres still have power or even a contact anymore at the US Embassy? 

I would like to be able to gaurantee MIL passes but other factors right I can't control, her family has been very good to me and I would like to return the favor. MIL would wake up early around 5am and make my breakfast since I wake up around 4 am each morning, and then she would make the family breakfast around 7am and I would get to eat again.  The father even added a bathroom to the house before I arrived, and he had someone build me my own American Style bathroom with a large shower room so I could be comfortable,  with a shower head and not the Philippines style pale and bucket bath/shower.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As an observation if you have been refused getting approved a second etc time is much harder.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

What could she bring as evidence? I really can't think of anything for her to bring other than herself and the required appointment paperwork.  If we put a couple millions pesos into her bank account and let it season I am thinking that is a waste of effort. CO don't really care about Bank accounts for tourist visas, I am sure they know that we or me will be paying for her tickets to USA and of course staying in my house. I am sure CO has done thousands of tourist visa interviews already.

My understanding is most if not all the time for a mothers tourist visa, the CO wouldn't even bother to look at your paperwork, if you had some.

I think the CO already has the Tourist visa either approved, denied or "Maybe" when you get your interview, the approved and denied are quick and fast interview, it's the ones that are in the "maybe" stack where the CO does some actual in depth questioning.

From my wife talking to a few of her Filipina friends in the area, there really isn't anything to bring.  The fact her mother is older and the fact that my wife has her US Citizenship and hasn't applied to bring her or any family members via petitions pretty much means her mother will return to Philippines and that will be a "Compelling Reason" to return to Philippines.

The CO does not decide before the interview. But as they walk up to the interview window, they read the file and the results of the  extensive database files they have on her.  They have interview countless, of people, they hear all the same stories, lies, exagerations, pleading, clever strategies, and so forth all days long, day after day.  It only takes a minute or two for them to know if they are eligible.

Money in bank accounts is important, but they know very well its easy to transfer it in, let it season,, and then transfer it back out. Its common tactic.  So showing a pile of money istitting n the bank account for the last 6 months is useless by itself. It doesn't make any sense by itself. 

Your reasoning that your USC wife had the ability to petition her an easily get her a VISA is proof that she is not going to stay is also not going to help at all. While it makes common and good sense to us, its zero proof to the CO.  Countless people change their mind, have a sudden issue, and want to bypass the I-130 even if it means misrepresentation or illegal overstays.  They have ruined it for us. 

All the CO is going to see and think about is that she has strong ties to the USA with her daughter and you there, and that is going to be living at your house .. Unless she has some status there such as a professional job in Manila, high salary,  husband and kids there that is very compelling for her to return, then its not a very likely chance.   All the common sense and reasoning and "proof", letters, affidavits, etc.. you have while she will return won't help, you won't be allowed to paint the picture that you want, they don't use that type of reasoning and thought process...   They are going to take a quick look at her background and know very quickly if she falls into the bucket of the people who go and never return regardless of whether it makes any sense for them to do so (such as being able to do it legally through her wife).  In summary, she have very strong ties to the USA, so  unless she has very high status, and life story, etc.. the CO won't find her eligible, .e.g. having more ties to the Philippines ...

On the otherhand, if she is going to apply for a tourist visa to Canada, they don't even interview in person and use the documentation you supply as proof and they use the common sense that you are thinking of. I was able to get my fiance a tourist visa to Canada using my bank statements and common sense that she must return to Philippines to get her K1.  She got her visa in a week without an interview. USA is completely opposite how they judge you for a visa

Better try to pull the strings, but that is more like  big rope .. Might be better to save it. 

18 hours ago, Boiler said:

As an observation if you have been refused getting approved a second etc time is much harder.

Especially for a mother in law, what would change? Nothing that is why I would have to go to get it approved, no way they would say no with me there.

But I have seen many expats in the Philippines who girlfriends got refused for a tourist visa, would finally get apporved when the US Citizen got there 13A Visa in the Philippines, I am part of a few expat groups of guys living in Philippines, even the CO tells the pinay for the boyfriend to get his permanent visa in the PHilippines and they will be approved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.