Deejunx

Traffic Misdemeanor from 19 yrs ago on N-400

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

Back in 2005, I was on an F1 visa student and was charged with a misdemeanor of Driving While License Invalid in Texas because my driver license got suspended due to unpaid traffic ticket. I was young and dumb and was advised by the prosecutor to take a plea bargain of paying a fine of $500 and 3 days in jail. But the actual jail time is 0 days - only a book-in, and immediate book-out. So I did not spend any time in jail after court, other than the initial jail time after getting arrested for the traffic stop (which is only 2 hours). I then paid the fine, and my drivers license was reinstated. Today, I am using the same driver license number from 2005.

Currently I'm a green card holder since 2016 through my US citizen spouse. During the IR-130 process, I disclosed the misdemeanor record in the application, even gone through the embassy interview (they asked about it, and I answered with the same explanation above) and thankfully my green card is approved. Did not use any lawyers.

I still have all the court records I submitted for my green card process. And I also was able to get a certified copy of the records from the Court House. I just want to see if anybody have had any similar experience or any advice for me to move forward? Want to add, since getting my green card in 2016, I don't have any traffic tickets or any criminal charges.

So my questions are these:
- When applying for N-400 Naturalization, will this record affect me negatively?

- Should I put 3 days in jail time, since that's what it shows in the court docs, or put 0 days in jail on the application # 15b

- On the court records, it shows my birth date to be off by 3 days: will this automatically dismiss me? Long shot here..

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! God bless.

image.thumb.png.6068d24928570715363d177016a6fb9d.png

Dec-2013: Got married

USCIS

18-Sep-2014: Sent I-130 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

23-Sep-2014: Received NOA1 - routed to Nebraska SC

09-Mar-2015: Received RFE (Marriage Cert)

16-Mar-2015: Sent RFE to NSC

17-Mar-2015: NSC Received Docs for RFE

24-Mar-2015: Received NOA2 - Online notification

31-Mar-2015: Received NOA2 - by mail

06-Apr-2015: NVC Received case from USCIS

NVC

15-Apr-2015: Got assigned NVC Case #, IIN #

20-Apr-2015: Submitted DS-261

21-Apr-2015: Received DS-261 / AOS Bill

22-Apr-2015: Paid AOS Bill

24-Apr-2015: AOS Payment processed

29-Apr-2015: NVC updated our account that the petitioner is the agent

06-May-2015: Received IV Fee Invoice

21-May-2015: Sent IV Fee via mail with a cashier's check (Online payment was down)

27-May-2015: Sent Civil & Financial documents to NVC

01-Jun-2015: NVC Cashed the check

08-Jun-2015: NVC Received the documents sent on 5/27

09-Oct-2015: Received RFE for Police Certificate, but n/a for Indonesia. Put on Supervisor's list

17-Nov-2015: Case Complete at NVC

US Embassy

16-Dec-2015: Medical Checkup, ready in 3 days

06-Jan-2016: Interview Date - Approved!

13-Jan-2016: Passport & Visa in hand

xx-xxx-2016: POE (TBD)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
5 hours ago, Deejunx said:

So my questions are these:
- When applying for N-400 Naturalization, will this record affect me negatively? - it may or may not but my guess is you should be fine if you explain yourself well at the interview if asked. So it's boils down to how your interview goes.

- Should I put 3 days in jail time, since that's what it shows in the court docs, or put 0 days in jail on the application # 15b - The actual sentence ordered at time of conviction is 3 days. The 0 days is time you served and not the sentence. Put 3 days. You can explain further if want on additional info section regarding time served.

- On the court records, it shows my birth date to be off by 3 days: will this automatically dismiss me? Long shot here.. - It won't automatically dismiss you. Again, use the additional section to add more explanation for the discrepancy. And explain at the interview when asked.

Good luck.

Edited by nastra30

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

You said you were sentenced to 3 days and the $500 fine.  List both in "What was your sentence (if applicable)?"

As you've already disclosed the issue to USCIS, a three-day difference in your date of birth is not going to "...automatically dismiss..." anything.  You've already owned up to your mistake.  Don't change the story now.

It *could* affect your Naturalization application, but if it's the only thing you've got on there I'd expect you to make it to the interview.  Bring your records and continue to accept responsibility for what happened.  It seems a fairly small crime, but part of what you're evaluated on is being honest about it.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.