arifb

Need Advice: Moroccan Wife Has to Wait 14 Months Following TB Diagnosis

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi all. I really need some advice here. 
I posted this back in July. 

Context:

My wife failed her medical examination more than 2 months ago due to TB diagnosis and was not allowed to interview. She did sputum test and we got the results today (~2 months later) that she is positive. However we knew she was positive already because immigration Dr suggested her to go get additional testing at the public health hospital where they treat for TB. 

My wife followed the advice immediately after doing sputum for immigration. She has been on TB treatment for 2 months now and has 4 months left (6 month treatment). She will be finished sometime in January 2025. 

Today after 2 months following sputum, Dr told my wife that the way forward is the following options:

Option 1. Need to go to the tb facility every day for 6 month treatment and show that she is consuming her medication. They will have to log this. This is as if she is beginning her treatment just now. Dr Nezha said this option is NOT possible for my wife because she already started treatment and won’t be able to obtain the proof of 2 months already. On top of this, this is a an absurd requirement that I have a tough time believing Consulate requires this. My wife has a job, it is not feasible to commute to the tb facility every MORNING for 6 months to show she is consuming her medication. 

The TB facility gave my wife a TB treatment card to track her progress. She’s kept track of it all and attended her appointments with the public TB facility. 

Option 2. After my wife finishes her 6 months of medication in January, she will do the sputum test again, wait 2 months for results, and then wait ONE YEAR before she can proceed again with immigration.

Has anyone been thru this process before?? We could really use some advice. We already expedited at USCIS level and at NVC to get the embassy to schedule interview. We were granted expedite at both levels. We CANNOT wait another year. What is the best course of action here?

2 minutes ago, arifb said:

Hi all. I really need some advice here. 
I posted this back in July. 

Context:

My wife failed her medical examination more than 2 months ago due to TB diagnosis and was not allowed to interview. She did sputum test and we got the results today (~2 months later) that she is positive. However we knew she was positive already because immigration Dr suggested her to go get additional testing at the public health hospital where they treat for TB. 

My wife followed the advice immediately after doing sputum for immigration. She has been on TB treatment for 2 months now and has 4 months left (6 month treatment). She will be finished sometime in January 2025. 

Today after 2 months following sputum, Dr told my wife that the way forward is the following options:

Option 1. Need to go to the tb facility every day for 6 month treatment and show that she is consuming her medication. They will have to log this. This is as if she is beginning her treatment just now. Dr Nezha said this option is NOT possible for my wife because she already started treatment and won’t be able to obtain the proof of 2 months already. On top of this, this is a an absurd requirement that I have a tough time believing Consulate requires this. My wife has a job, it is not feasible to commute to the tb facility every MORNING for 6 months to show she is consuming her medication. 

The TB facility gave my wife a TB treatment card to track her progress. She’s kept track of it all and attended her appointments with the public TB facility. 

Option 2. After my wife finishes her 6 months of medication in January, she will do the sputum test again, wait 2 months for results, and then wait ONE YEAR before she can proceed again with immigration.

Has anyone been thru this process before?? We could really use some advice. We already expedited at USCIS level and at NVC to get the embassy to schedule interview. We were granted expedite at both levels. We CANNOT wait another year. What is the best course of action here?

The ONLY course of action are the choices they gave you.   Witnessed compliance with TB regimens is very common.

The US has worked very hard to eradicate TB, and unfortunately other countries have not.

It doesn’t matter that you “expedited.”  She has a medical inadmissibility.  If she wants a visa, she has to comply with the conditions to get it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, SalishSea said:

The ONLY course of action are the choices they gave you.   Witnessed compliance with TB regimens is very common.

The US has worked very hard to eradicate TB, and unfortunately other countries have not.

It doesn’t matter that you “expedited.”  She has a medical inadmissibility.  If she wants a visa, she has to comply with the conditions to get it.

My main concern is with option 1 here. It’s so ridiculous that it doesn’t make sense. My wife has to take her medicine every morning before breakfast for 6 months. The public TB facility that she would need to go in person to and take her medication in front of doesn’t operate on the weekends. So even if we attempted option 1, following the expectations the dr described, it’s not possible because the public health facility doesn’t even operate daily. And how would they record / validate that she took the medicine? With the same TB card they already gave her and mark every day she comes in and took the medicine?? Because she already has that card and she marks it.

It doesn’t make sense. If there’s anything that I’ve learned through this immigration process, it’s that it is not as rigid as people make it out to be. There are real humans behind the process, exceptions ARE made, TONS of mistakes are made, and all types of wrong info is constantly spread. People are afraid of the process and don’t question it, and it doesn’t help that immigration makes it difficult to contact them. A person from the consulate literally called my wife like 7 times back in July to schedule her interview. Like why would you not just send an email after the 2nd attempt?!

I have had family members and family friends who were diagnosed with TB during immigration and they did not have to wait this long or deal with a process like the Dr described to proceed. 

We will request the doc to reach out to the consulate to see if we can arrange another way of proof for option 1, because it’s just not applicable. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Clinics do operate 6 days and that  follows the guidelines for treatment

According to the national TB treatment guidelines of Morocco, rifampin, isoniazid, pyrazinamide, and ethambutol are recommended to be taken for 2 months (2RHZE) (6 days out of 7 for 2 months, a total of 56 days) [15,16]. For new smear-positive cases, 4 months of rifampicin and isoniazid (4RH) (6 out of 7 days for 4 months, a total of 112 days), as a category I treatment regimen, are recommended. For patients who had relapsed, streptomycin in combination with RHZE (SRHZE) followed by 1 month of RHZE and 5 months of RHE (2SRHZE/1RHZE/5RHE) are suggested. Prior to self-administered therapy, DOTS is recommended by the Morocco

Applicants with a previous positive skin test for tuberculosis should provide a certificate from the attending doctor (giving the circumstances of the positive test result, and indicating any treatment prescribed, and its duration) to the panel physician. If the applicant has ever been diagnosed with tuberculosis, the applicant must present a written certification, signed by the attending doctor, proving that the applicant was adequately treated. The certificate must include dates and types of medications taken. Applicants who ever had an abnormal chest X-ray should borrow the last X-ray films taken and bring them to the panel physician. The actual films, not the typed reports, may be required to compare with the X-rays that will be taken at the medical examination.ccan guidelines for TB patients. The effectiveness of TB treatment is measured both clinically and bacteriologically.

She will have a new medical exam and must have the document to prove treatment 

Others have gone thru this and it is possible especially if she wants the US visa

allah yekbel

Edited by JeanneAdil

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.