DELTAFOXTROT

Going to Tourist Visa Interview with my Mother in Law in Philippines at US Embassy

33 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, EmilyW said:

I think this is a great plan.   Americans can pretty much stroll in anywhere: that is our superpower and we should use it more often.  I'm honestly disappointed I haven't used it more.

That is what happens in Philippines.  No electronics allowed when we did our interview, but if your an American Citizen they will hold you phone, Lining up to enter the Embassy their is a long line, and then when you enter and go thru the electronic scanner they have dedicated to US Citizens only I never had to show a passport since I look American, I walked right on in to the Consualte area and everybody else had to show paperwork and Passports to enter, I was very VIP.

Then the best part is Americans are always allowed to enter US Embassy and Interview area with your Fiance or Spouse, whether or not you are allowed to partake in the actual interview is the CO call.

Have you ever done a visa interview at the US Embassy in Manila?

2 hours ago, Bethie said:

Would not help her at all, the VIsitors Visa is all about your Mother and her ties to her home there.

And your most likley wont be allowed in to attend her interview.

I would be allowed in and the CO would make the decision if I could be part of interview, I think I would be allowed to attend the actual interview, I have done it before for a K1 at the same place.

1 hour ago, Edward and Jaycel said:

Things changed during the pandemic and have not changed back... My fiancee just had her K-1 visa interview in August. Partners are no longer allowed to attend the interview. It is not up to the consular officer anymore, it is consulate policy that there are only two exceptions for accompanying persons. This is from the US Embassy Manila website for interview prep...

2024-09-27_08-45-45.png

Exactly, I would fall under the Elderly reason.

1 hour ago, Timona said:

Oranges and apples don't mix. 

Well, if you decided to go, please come back and update us if they allowed you in the embassy for MIL B-2.

US Embassy in Philippines states they will on their website: She would fall under the elderly part, Mandatory retirement is like 62 in Philippines. When you hit 60 you get all the old people discount offered from the government on food, medicine, airline tickets, and hotel cost

Accompanying persons

Attorneys are not permitted to accompany clients into the waiting room or to their interview. The following persons may accompany a visa applicant to their interview:

• Applicants may bring ONE interpreter if they do not speak English or Filipino well enough for an interview.
  • Applicants may bring ONE person to help if they are elderly, disabled, or a minor child.

U.S. Embassy Manila, Philippines - MNL (state.gov)

3 minutes ago, Edward and Jaycel said:

Yes.... to assist them in getting around, etc. not to participate in the interview. But hey man, you posted here asking people's advice and have done nothing but argue with everyone that has answered your question saying anything other than what you seem to have your mind made up to do, so you do you. Good luck, hope everything works out the way you want it to.

Problem is nobody who has answered me has ever done a actual interview inside the US Embassy in Manila, You said you haven't either.

I can only rely on my firsthand experience from dealing with the CO's at the actual Inteview.

To assist in interview would be up to CO, my wife just talked to one of her pinay friend who mother did a tourist visa interview last year and she said it should be a slam dunk her mother getting a tourist visa, and I asked what evedince her mother brought and she said nothing just her passport and she was approved.

That is whom my mother in law is supposed to fly to USA with, they are gonna fly together so they have someone to talk to on the flight and my wife said her mother is scared to fly alone that far.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How old is she?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Do you really think that being “tall and gregarious” would influence whether her visa is approved or denied?

“and I asked what evedince her mother brought and she said nothing just her passport and she was approved.”

Right.   Because B visas are evaluated entirely on the info contained in the DS-160 (the visa application).   They are not obligated to look at any extraneous info brought to the interview, nor do they.

20 minutes ago, Cw1977 said:

you missed off ‘outgoing’ too. They look especially favourably on that…

What about being supercilious, do they look favourably on that as well? Asking for a friend. 

Edited by appleblossom

Can I come with?

I identify as a short, gregarious U.S. Citizen visa Hobbit (pronouns approve/approval/approved) whose exaggerated white sponsor swagger will be sure to bring all the consular officers to the yard!

It means nothing that every other embassy that anyone has ever attended refuses US spouses to join in at visa interviews! Forget domestic violence and marital coersion! We can just break out into song and enchant animals with our Disney-esque ideals to get in! The officers in Manila are sure to welcome us as one big happy family and I'd LOVE a vacation! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.