wolfyzheart

Evidence Question-How much weight is a bank account?

11 posts in this topic

I feel I may have made a mistake regarding a joint bank account, and looking for help before we submit our i-130/i-485 concurrent filing packet.

A quick timeline: 

December 2023- my now wife arrives to USA on tourist visa 

May 2024- We get married

I have spent the last several months researching on this process and also we set up a joint bank account a month ago. However, there's only a few payments on it when we got our statement, none of which were bills because I usually have autopay and pay them all on my other card she isn't on... I didn't even think to change my billing cards. So I am worried of raising eyebrows. 

I really want to get this stuff submitted ASAP, as she is currently overstaying. Will this look super suspicious with just 3 or 4 withdrawals from our joint account, or should I add her to my personal bank account? Should I hold off on submitting everything and be sure to make payments this month? Or can I not use the bank account in our packet altogether? Should I maybe put a few thousand into a joint savings instead?

For reference, here is what we have gathered thus far: 

-Joint electric bill

-Joint health insurance

- 2 Joint leases (both from the last year and a renewal for next year) 

-My life insurance with her listed as my beneficiary 

-Joint internet bill

-Confirmation of a Disney vacation I took with my wife, my mother, and my siblings

-Hotel confirmations of us together in years prior in both USA and Mexico (where she's from)

-Marriage certificate & marriage photos

-Misc. photos including graduations, birthdays, Christmas, and Easter with mixed family on both sides

-Screenshots of social media posts posting about each other dating back to 2019 

Will the bank account hold a ton of weight? Again, I just really want to get this packet submitted to start the wait time. However, I do not want to rush if this is truly something that holds a lot of weight. 

Thank you in advanced for any advice/solution suggestions. 

Edited by wolfyzheart

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You should be fine.  For my wife and I, when she was adjusting, we actually set her up with a separate credit union account, but I put her as a co-owner on my account, and I am a co-owner on her account, but neither is a joint account.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

You should be fine.  For my wife and I, when she was adjusting, we actually set her up with a separate credit union account, but I put her as a co-owner on my account, and I am a co-owner on her account, but neither is a joint account.

Thank you so much! So you think i'm good to put the joint account in there with the few withdrawals? or just omit it altogether? I am also working on getting her added as an authorized user on my credit card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would have filed straightaway, evidence can be added and how much can you have when you are married recently.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, wolfyzheart said:

Thank you so much! So you think i'm good to put the joint account in there with the few withdrawals? or just omit it altogether? I am also working on getting her added as an authorized user on my credit card.

As @Boiler stated, you can always bring more evidence to the interview.  Additionally, you are just setting up the marriage, I would not expect a joint account set up a few weeks ago to have much activity.   Get the package submitted.

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The only thing our joint bank account is used for is to pay rent. We have a joint credit card that every shared item goes on (like groceries or dates), otherwise we pay for our own things on our own cards.

Sept 2020 - Met

Oct 2022 - Married

Jan 2023 - Filed AOS packet

Feb 2023 - Biometrics

July 2023 - Greened

A common approach is...

1) Joint checking account to pay mortgage / rent and bills that are reoccuring. It can also be used to cut checks for large purchases, home renovations, tax payments. It can be also be used for receiving tax refunds. 

2) Joint savings account(s) to hold emergency fund, save towards house downpayment, other goals for you as a family

3) Separate personal checking accounts to pay off credit cards for miscellaneous purchases.

May employers allow splitting paycheck to multiple accounts automatically.

My family this approach.

Both I-485 and later I-751 approved.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The fact that you trust each other enough to have a joint account is a plus.  Later, showing how you USE the joint account will be important.  Go for it!!!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.