Cranberry_anon

VISA process is driving me bananas

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm 24/F/Ireland and I'm working alongside my fiancé (25/M/Oklahoma) to get a K1 visa for marriage in the states.

The process is like Chinese water torture. It's just constantly dripping new obstacles and errors over and over until I go insane.

Today I was notified that my birth certificate (printed in English when it was issued to my parents from the Irish government the day I was born) is in fact not written in English and I must now have it translated. Why, you may ask? Because *beside* the English, in small faint text, is Irish Gaeilge put there for the Irish people who can't speak English.

The professional translator herself is equally baffled by this.

image.thumb.png.e494cb0dc44f7b2c77fed8af0e6a9134.png

I feel so hopeless sometimes. It's bad enough we fell into the Boundless Immigration trap, it's worse that I have to juggle these <DELETED> requests on top of making peace with leaving my whole life/family/world behind to get married and have it all be ignored because the only proof that matters is paper, and even worse still that I'm essentially having to guide my fiancé through the paperwork because he's not great with paperwork and procrastinates instead of helping me. What the hell does an affidavit from his aunt prove that my words don't? I'm going insane. I feel like I'm never going to get this poxy application submitted and if I do they're going to tell me to off back to Ireland because we forgot to dot an "i".

Edited by Crazy Cat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***OP edited by VJ Moderation to remove inappropriate language***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Cranberry_anon said:

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm 24/F/Ireland and I'm working alongside my fiancé (25/M/Oklahoma) to get a K1 visa for marriage in the states.

The process is like Chinese water torture. It's just constantly dripping new obstacles and errors over and over until I go insane.

Today I was notified that my birth certificate (printed in English when it was issued to my parents from the Irish government the day I was born) is in fact not written in English and I must now have it translated. Why, you may ask? Because *beside* the English, in small faint text, is Irish Gaeilge put there for the Irish people who can't speak English.

The professional translator herself is equally baffled by this.

image.thumb.png.e494cb0dc44f7b2c77fed8af0e6a9134.png

I feel so hopeless sometimes. It's bad enough we fell into the Boundless Immigration trap, it's worse that I have to juggle these <DELETED> requests on top of making peace with leaving my whole life/family/world behind to get married and have it all be ignored because the only proof that matters is paper, and even worse still that I'm essentially having to guide my fiancé through the paperwork because he's not great with paperwork and procrastinates instead of helping me. What the hell does an affidavit from his aunt prove that my words don't? I'm going insane. I feel like I'm never going to get this poxy application submitted and if I do they're going to tell me to off back to Ireland because we forgot to dot an "i".

I think everyone feels frustrated at times during the immigration process.  It is quite daunting in some respects, but there are some very helpful folks here.  I always say that The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  Hang in there.  Good luck on your journey.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Cranberry_anon said:

It's just constantly dripping new obstacles and errors over and over until I go insane.

This is extremely accurate, but as is the case for every immigration option haha.

I feel you!

10 minutes ago, Cranberry_anon said:

I must now have it translated. Why, you may ask?

It is mainly because there are several people involved at looking at cases. E.g. the person who initially receives the application, the USCIS case adjudicator who processes the cases (approval/denial etc), then it gets sent to a different organisation entirely; National Visa Center, they'd have to also look and read etc etc, then the Embassy in the beneficiary country, the people behind the scene, then the C.O who interviews you, additional people behind the scene. 

It's not because they are allergic to diff languages, more so because so many people are involved in the process it isn't really reasonable to expect all of them to understand X languages.

14 minutes ago, Cranberry_anon said:

feel so hopeless sometimes.

I definitely relate, I think we all have these moments for our journey, it's so draining sometimes and can feel like it is never-ending. But there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, I try to hold onto the fact that the end result is being able to spend my life with the best person ever and the love of my life! :) 

15 minutes ago, Cranberry_anon said:

What the hell does an affidavit from his aunt prove that my words don't?

I know some of the requirements may seem a bit confusing or like "why is that even a thing" but most of it can be tracked back to something that has happened - these processes have to protect the U.S. itself, and I'm sure they just want to ensure the people being issued the visas will be able to e.g. be financially supported so it doesn't result in them depending on the state etc.

17 minutes ago, Cranberry_anon said:

he's not great with paperwork and procrastinates instead of helping me.

My fiance is similar, but he stepped up a lot during this process, as it does really require a team to push through. Especially since the initial stages are so U.S. Citizen dependent; the latter stages give more jobs/tasks to the beneficiary. You'll get there, even if it takes some tried patience and stress

18 minutes ago, Cranberry_anon said:

I feel like I'm never going to get this poxy application submitted

I am sorry you feel that way, but all I can really say is you kind of have to get used to it. This process is so long and it's only going to get worse (worse being more paperwork, more evidence, more compiling etc etc), so you kinda have to get into those habits, especially because even after the k1 approval, you have the adjustment of status process to also get through.

Hang in there, this forum is full of such lovely and kind and helpful people & we have all been there! It seems daunting and stressful now, but to be with the person you love, is all worth it in the end! ❤️ 

I-129F Journey! ❤️

Package sent: 02 March 2024

NOA1 Received: 04 March 2024

NOA2 Approval: 23 August 2024

Physical NOA2 Received: 04 September 2024

Sent to State:

NVC Case Created:

Case In Transit:

Case Ready:

Medical:

Interview:

Visa in Hand:

Flight:

Timeline

2 minutes ago, apnzz said:

It's not because they are allergic to diff languages, more so because so many people are involved in the process it isn't really reasonable to expect all of them to understand X languages.

The full English translation is on the birth certificate. In Ireland a birth cert is fully in English, with tiny Irish text underneath or beside it. You could hand my birth certificate to any American and they would be able to read it perfectly fine, but somehow this is some kind of inadvertent magic spell that blinds anyone who works in VISA approval 

Timeline
Just now, Cranberry_anon said:

The full English translation is on the birth certificate. In Ireland a birth cert is fully in English, with tiny Irish text underneath or beside it. You could hand my birth certificate to any American and they would be able to read it perfectly fine, but somehow this is some kind of inadvertent magic spell that blinds anyone who works in VISA approval 

So, you received an official RFE from USCIS? 

Timeline

Our immigration agency pointed out that this is common for anyone in Ireland looking to get a K1 visa. I was skeptical of this at first however the translator some our later correspondence confirmed that a lot of people do end up submitting birth certs for translation to their company because of this very bizarre request regardless of what route people are taking to the K1 (Agency, by themselves, immigration attorney, etc.) Maybe it's more common in Ireland?

Timeline

Here are the exact requirements for a birth certificate form Ireland:  I'm not sure why your agency thinks a BC in English would be an issue.

Birth Certificates

Available

Fees: €20 (plus postage). There is a fee for additional copies at the time of issuance.

Document Name: Birth certificate

Issuing Authority: Issued by either the local registry office or the Registrar General in Dublin.

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: Civil or “Long-form” Irish Birth Certificates

From 2004 all Civil Certificates (Domestic Adoption, Birth, Death, Marriage, Stillbirth, and Civil Partnership) are issued on A4 sized certificates.  The U.S. Embassy/Consulate General can accept a civil A4 copy issued by the Irish Authorities in lieu of long form certificates.

Security features include watermarks and UV images and text. 

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: There is no issuing authority personnel title.

Registration Criteria: There are no registration criteria.

Procedure for Obtaining: Available online through the Health Service Executive (HSE) here.

Certified Copies: Certified Copies are not available.

Alternate Documents:  The long-form certificates issued prior to 2004 are serially numbered in the upper left-hand corner, and consist of eleven numbered boxes arrayed horizontally on the page. At the bottom of the certificate is the warning that "TO ALTER THIS DOCUMENT OR TO UTTER IT SO ALTERED IS A SERIOUS OFFENSE”. These certificates are generally available for all births from January 1, 1894.

Exceptions: None

Comments: In 2004 the Irish Department of Health - the Health Service Executive (HSE) - introduced a computerized system for recording the registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the Republic of Ireland.  Any record created prior to 2004 has also been transferred to this new electronic State database by scanning the original entries in the Registers for Births, Deaths and Marriages on to the new computerized system. Certificates are now issued based on these records where a scan of the original Register Entry is printed on to Certificate paper.

Any birth registered before the 1 OCTOBER 1997 does not provide the following details:

• A surname of the child (it is assumed that the child takes the surname of the Father when he is named on the Birth Certificate or the surname of Mother if the Father is not named on the Birth Certificate). 
  • Any former surname of the Father.
  • The occupation and address of the mother.

These details are recorded on any birth registered on or after the 1 October 1997.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Cranberry_anon said:

Our immigration agency pointed out that this is common for anyone in Ireland looking to get a K1 visa. I was skeptical of this at first however the translator some our later correspondence confirmed that a lot of people do end up submitting birth certs for translation to their company because of this very bizarre request regardless of what route people are taking to the K1 (Agency, by themselves, immigration attorney, etc.) Maybe it's more common in Ireland?

It seems to me that you're being given the run-around by the agency, and not USCIS, as you're yet to even submit your petition. Which is to be expected, really, as the longer they can drag out this process for you, the more money they make.

I'm sure this won't make you feel any better, but if your case is straight-forward (no glaring red flags, criminal history, other legal issues) then there's really no need to involve any of these agencies. They claim to take the headache out of the process, but all I read is them being the cause of the headaches. Unsure what the payment situation is with them, but if you're in a position to and aren't too financially invested in them, I'd be cancelling the service (before anything is filed).

Anyway, you just need to persevere and give them what they ask for. I've felt this way too, at multiple times. Sometimes it feels like you'll never get there, but you will. Every day, despite feeling like a set-back, is a day closer to being with your partner.

[I-129F to K1] 

I-129F Filed: 2024-04-03 

NOA1: 2024-04-17

RFE: 2024-06-05

NOA2: 2024-08-02

USCIS to NVC: 2024-08-28

NVC to Embassy: 2024-09-24

Embassy Received: 

Medical:

Interview:

Visa Received: 

POE:

Married:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Having just gone through this year long process to get my fiancee here, I can empathize..... But I will tell you that when you are together in the US, finalizing your wedding plans and spending every day together, all the troubles to get the visa fade into the background noise of it all. I wish you both well and speedy resolution!

K1 Visa
EventDate

Service Center :California Service Center

Transferred?No

Consulate :Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent :2023-09-16

I-129F NOA1 :2023-09-20

I-129F RFE(s) :2024-05-20

RFE Reply(s) :2024-06-01

I-129F NOA2 :2024-06-11

NVC Received :2024-06-18

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned :2024-07-01

NVC Left :2024-07-16

Consulate Received :2024-07-18

Packet 3 Received :2024-07-28

Packet 3 Sent :2024-07-28

Interview Date :2024-08-13 icon13.gif Submit Review

Interview Result : Approved!!

Visa Received : 2024-08-20

US Entry : 2024-08-30

Marriage : 2024-10-25

Comments :

Processing Estimates/Stats :Your I-129f was approved in 265 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 328 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

A translation of your birth certificate does not need to be done by a professional translator; anyone who is fluent in both languages can do it, including yourself.

I received an RFE for a translation of my birth certificate. My birth certificate is an international birth certificate that includes a bunch of languages, including English. Every time USCIS officers see a non-English language, they automatically hit the "translation needed" button, no matter if English is included somewhere in the document. It's like they panic and can't look past the foreign language to see the English.

I ended up creating a document in which I typed just the English pieces of my birth certificate. I included a statement saying that I am fluent in Dutch and English and this translation is accurate and complete, signed it, and submitted that. I have had no issues with it.

Timeline

It just feels so hopeless sometimes. I'm sorry for coming to the forum right off the bat with a big sad rant, I'm usually a very bubbly person, but god it's just these last few days I've been going insane from the pressure. When these random hurdles come up I can't help but think "god is this all for nothing? Am I going to do this song and dance just to get rejected for missing out on something small like this?"

2 minutes ago, Cranberry_anon said:

It just feels so hopeless sometimes. I'm sorry for coming to the forum right off the bat with a big sad rant, I'm usually a very bubbly person, but god it's just these last few days I've been going insane from the pressure. When these random hurdles come up I can't help but think "god is this all for nothing? Am I going to do this song and dance just to get rejected for missing out on something small like this?"

Who's telling you about this hurdle though? It doesn't sound as though you've actually submitted your application so it's not an RFE

Timeline
2 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

Who's telling you about this hurdle though? It doesn't sound as though you've actually submitted your application so it's not an RFE

We invested in an immigration agency that was recommended to my fiancé living in the states. They told him this agency had helped them navigate the process so he could bring his wife into America, it's called Boundless. The way it works is that you submit your documents and they review it then an agent critiques your submissions and what to change. They're really strict poking holes in everything despite following their guides to a T and using examples/advice from other people who have gone through the process of getting a K1. Sometimes I wonder if they're trying to make this go on longer than it needs to because they tend to contradict themselves and change the rules on a whim sometimes. 

Just now, Cranberry_anon said:

We invested in an immigration agency that was recommended to my fiancé living in the states. They told him this agency had helped them navigate the process so he could bring his wife into America, it's called Boundless. The way it works is that you submit your documents and they review it then an agent critiques your submissions and what to change. They're really strict poking holes in everything despite following their guides to a T and using examples/advice from other people who have gone through the process of getting a K1. Sometimes I wonder if they're trying to make this go on longer than it needs to because they tend to contradict themselves and change the rules on a whim sometimes. 

Ah, Boundless, now it makes sense. 

You've been given the criteria for the document above by @CrazyCat, as long as it meets that there's no reason to think it won't be accepted. This is one time when you'd probably have had a lot less stress just doing it all yourself - these 'hurdles' aren't actually hurdles at all!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.