Melancholic Mage

The London Embassy Thread

4 posts in this topic

I'm following up my Visa Medical thread with a full account of my experience at the USA Embassy in London. You can find my review here but this is supplemental for anyone who wants more information and wants to ask questions in future.

Travel and Hotel:

I booked around four days at Vauxhall Travelodge and travelled by train to London Kings Cross station. I walked all the way to the hotel which is around a 1 hour 20 minute walk, so not for those who aren't as physically fit or able. From Kings Cross however there's plenty of bus connections and an Underground connection to Vauxhall. These go directly outside the hotel which is ideal, and considering the hotel is only ten minutes from the Embassy if that, it's a great choice. I personally walked to save some money and avoid the crowds of the Underground. It's also a great way to take in some sights and maybe slip in for a coffee somewhere for a nice pre-embassy-jitters drink. The hotel is directly attached to a Waitrose, a Starbucks around the corner, and a Sainsbury's across the road should you need any necessities.

I settled into the hotel quickly (the hotel has a small buzzer to allow entry into its reception on the left-hand side which may catch some people out - you cannot push the doors open), dumped my stuff into my cozy room, then scoped out the Embassy the day before my appointment. The hotel itself has some mixed reviews but personally if you keep your expectations in line, it's a cozy stay. The bed and pillows were perfect so no sleep complaints, and considering the traffic outside the room is sealed very well against noise. There were a few old stains here and there but you could tell the carpets had been cleaned and these were old permanent marks. Didn't bother me but worth noting for those more squeamish. The breakfast at the hotel was adequate, like the building itself. Nothing to write home about but does the job just fine.

Outer Embassy:

The Embassy is a very brisk walk across two or three crosswalks before you curl around some skyscrapers and into a park area to find it. Google Maps should see you there but if not it's very easy to locate via directions should you ask anyone. The USA flag is a big giveaway let alone the distinct almost 'kite' like diamonds that decorate the outer building. The Embassy is surrounded by restaurants and café's which most I would advise avoiding unless you want to pay premium. Outside I was met with an incredulously long line of people when I went to investigate the day before my timeslot. Most people I could see held poly-pockets with their documents while I brought a hardcase filo to protect mine from any adverse weather. There were some signs asking people to brandish DS-160's which didn't apply to me (after a moment of panic I realized I had a DS-260.) Still, to be safe I actually went back to the hotel and asked if they could print my confirmation page of my DS-260 all the same. The receptionists were happy to oblige at no extra charge, so extra points there if you find you're missing a document last minute.

There's armed guards at the door who answered questions to any who approached, and at one point an embassy worker who flitted down the line directing people and responding to queries. The embassy worker wasn't there the day of my appointment so unsure if they're always around or perhaps my timing was good the day before to see them. Needless to say however, there's a few people around who you can ask general questions to. On the day of my appointment, I left an hour and a half early to walk to the embassy and wait in line. (One interesting thing to note was that on my appointment day of 9/11 I noticed the flag was lowered to half-mast to pay respects no doubt. Nice to see.) It took me around 40 minutes to reach the front. This is manned by two people behind a podium. I was asked for my interview letter and passport. I was asked my appointment time in which I stated I was early but they seemed unconcerned. They scribbled something on my letter then told me to head inside. 

Security:

Past the podium was a guard who allowed people in and out of the front part of the building. I showed him my interview letter with the chicken scratch on it then he asked me to pull out my phone and turn it on and unlock the screen. I did was asked and he moved aside to let me in. I was met with a very small airport-like security screening layout. I was told to place my items into a screening tray: documents, passport, coat, and told to empty my pockets. I did not need to take off my shoes which surprised me as most USA security I've underwent demands this. I pushed my tray of items through, walked through the metal detector, then was on the other side and told to collect my things. Painless.

I actually had a roll-on deodorant and travel brush in my coat which I was told I could leave in, so my advice would be just to follow whatever the guards tell you but perhaps ask about certain items for ease. They seemed more lax than I expected. The final door into the embassy courtyard is pretty heavy and the security guard had to urge someone ahead of me to push harder to open it, so keep that in mind once you're through screening. There's a small paved incline surrounded by a small garden area which leads into the Embassy proper. There's no deviation and it's impossible to get lost. So from there I followed the path then entered the Embassy proper.

Reception:

Once inside you're met with a little maze of security poles with ribbons. Just follow them around to the front desk. This was manned by one lone officer which surprised me. They asked for my passport and interview letter once at the front, then directed me towards the lifts and told me to head to the second floor, turn left, then turn left again. Please note my visa is a CR-1 visa so you may be given different directions depending on your application visa type. They stuck the instructions on a small label onto my passport along with a ticket number which they then handed back to me so, again, impossible to get lost. I moved onwards towards the lifts (which are opposite a lovely engraved quote from R. F. Kennedy on the wall) and did as instructed. There's no stairs. Again, getting lost is impossible. The second floor held a throng of other applicants waiting in line opposite some interview windows, and the lifts open almost directly onto a kind of circular counter which holds lots of snacks and drinks should you need to pay for anything. I ignored this and turned left (bypassing all the other applicants glaring at me with glee for cutting ahead of them), left again, and after a little bit of walking found myself in a small waiting area.

Waiting Area:

This area is rather small and holds perhaps 32 pulldown seats similar to those you would find in a cinema. I took a seat and above them there were a few screens which read out your ticket number. To the side of the seats were little concaves with a glass window similar to those you would find in a bank. Above each of these was another screen telling you which ticket number the officer inside was currently seeing to and which number they were calling. The area was very clean and well-lit and helped put me at ease. Not much more to say about the waiting area. I took the time to take out my documents and shuffle through everything and just relaxed until my number was called. One thing to note was that there was no drinking water or bins of any kind, so if you had any rubbish or trash on you best keep it there. Another thing to note is there was no toilets and not once did I see a sign for any while I was in there, so best make sure you're prepared body, bladder, and soul. I was waiting around 20-25 minutes before my number was called.

Interview Windows:

Part I: I approached the interview window and was asked to show all of my documents: passport, interview letter, marriage certificate, police certificate, birth certificate, passport photos (they only need one when I brandished a few out of concern some may be an incorrect size) and my courier letter. You may or may not have the latter as I paid for expedited delivery of my passport and visa to my UK residence. This then needs a confirmation letter of the payment and courier service. I slipped all of my documents under the security window.

The officer took time to look over my papers, then asked me to place my hands on a small scanner by the window to take my fingerprints. As I did, they asked me when I planned to travel to the United States. I stated early October but as soon as possible if allowed, and no further questions were asked. They confirmed my documents were in order and handed them back minus passport and one passport photo, then gave me a domestic abuse leaflet in which I was told to read carefully. I was then instructed to sit back down between a certain series of window numbers and wait for my number to be called once more. I ended up sitting in the space that seemed delegated for USA diplomats which was interesting. I entertained myself with peeking at their documents and seeing some Nigerian emblems among others before I was eventually called once again after perhaps 25-30 minutes.

Part II:

Making my way to the new window the officer inside greeted me. They asked me to hold up my right hand to take an oath of truth and I did as instructed. (You do not need to recite any kind of verse, they just ask if you will take the oath and you then agree or disagree. Obviously I agreed.) They asked if I read and understood the domestic violence leaflet in which I said I had, and asked if I had any further questions regarding it. Once that was out of the way, they then began to ask me questions regarding my relationship with my spouse: how did we meet, where did we first meet, when was the last time we met (one hour ago because they were outside), what they did for a living, and that was pretty much it. I was honestly expecting a little more and had prepared as such, but disappointingly I was not asked what his favourite dessert was. (Brownie fudge sundae. Mmmm~)

I did note that when I willingly offered up that we had lived together in the UK for near four and a half years in a flat together, his body language appeared to ease up and further questions ceased. Again, my experiences as this is an application for a CR-1 visa may differ from your own. You may be asked further questions. I was asked once more to have my fingerprints taken by the small scanner by the security window, then the officer told me he was going to approve my visa. (\o/) It was here I asked a few further questions, such as what will happen at the Port of Entry and if I will get any kind of document packet. The officer told me that because I had filed the majority of my case online I would not receive an envelope packet as border officials would be able to see all of my information via their systems. 

The officer did say this which I found interesting, in that their systems were apparently in some sort of 'hybrid' state and that my visa may take some time to process. This may explain the slowing down of applications we've seen on the forum as well as the volume of people they're seeing day in and day out. They told me they didn't believe that would be the case with me, but gave me some base awareness as well as USCIS possibly contacting me for more information. They stated this was routine however and there was no need to panic about it should it happen. They also informed me that I should get my passport back in about a week's time via the expedited delivery I paid for online. Done and dusted, I left without my passport back the way I came and back outside the building without any further issues. 

Final Result and Notes:

Overall I left at 9:30 for my 11:00 appointment. I was back outside around 11:45. I was there for about an hour overall discounting waiting in line. Again, there was no toilet that I could so I would ensure you're prepared before you go inside, but I'm sure if you asked staff they would direct you to some. There wasn't any I could see however. Your embassy appointment email (or somewhere on official sources) states there's no vending machines on site, which I can confirm but there was a snacks and drinks stand on the second floor which appeared to be card only should anyone want to purchase anything on site. The embassy was easy to navigate and overall pleasant, so I would advise others not to worry. So long as you're documentarily prepared, you should find this process pretty simple to go through.

An extra note is in the waiting room there's a message on the screens notifying you of free Wi-Fi inside the Embassy including the password to activate it. I had a quick check of this myself but it brings you to a splash page with plenty of T&C's about how your usage is monitored. I decided to stick to my poor data signal for privacy but it's there should anyone need to use it. The phone signal inside was poor for myself so you may want to pre-load pages or videos onto your phone if you're easily bored.

Some people mention a café that can store your bags for £10+. Personally I would leave all bags at the hotel if you're staying there. The time you can spend there to relax and prepare before your appointment is absolutely invaluable, even if you stay for just one night. The café option however is always there if needed but personally I would just avoid taking in bags.

In regards to my visa, I actually received it five days after my appointment. Considering this included the weekend, it only took three working days to process which was beyond a pleasant surprise considering the timescales of everything else. USCIS even updated my case status the day after my appointment to say my visa had been issued. So five gold stars for efficiency there.

I actually took some sneaky snaps of my experience inside the Embassy and out in hopes it would help others. I didn't see a sign saying otherwise regarding photography but I was still careful not to be too obvious and avoided any kind of sensitive information/imagery. Please see images attached.

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Hope this helps a lot of people because this is exactly what I wished I had before I attended. Anyway, my one-way flight to the USA is on October 1st. Wish me luck!

20240911_102616 (2).jpg

20240911_102621 (2).jpg

20240911_103318 (2).jpg

20240911_114438 (2).jpg

20240911_114446 (2).jpg

20240911_115054 (2).jpg

20240911_115059 (2).jpg

20240912_102334 (2).jpg

20240912_152408 (2).jpg

Edited by Melancholic Mage

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.