wangaturtle

We’ve sent our packet but one piece of evidence is concerning to us! Please help!

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In all honesty telling us to include the whole engagement certificate thing could have been sabotage from her church because they really don’t want her to leave :( 

Edited by wangaturtle

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
7 minutes ago, wangaturtle said:

We have the Cenomar too. I think now, looking at it again that it is just a certificate from the church she attends in the Philippines. They were telling us at the church that we needed it :( 

Ah  - I don't know how that would affect things, but I haven't heard of that before - with the k1 you don't even have to be technically engaged, as long as you're both legally single / not married and your relationship is genuine and real, you're eligible for the k1 and I've seen so many approvals from people who aren't officially engaged. 

What does the certificate of engagement say? because if it implies y'all will be marrying at their church etc then I'd be worried?

Edited by apnzz

I-129F Journey! ❤️

Package sent: 02 March 2024

NOA1 Received: 04 March 2024

NOA2 Approval: 23 August 2024

Physical NOA2 Received: 04 September 2024

Sent to State:

NVC Case Created:

Case In Transit:

Case Ready:

Medical:

Interview:

Visa in Hand:

Flight:

Timeline
Just now, smilingstone said:

Unsure why you'd follow guidance of a church in the Philippines when USCIS themselves state on their website what docs are required for filing the I-129F.

Hope you didn't pay for it!

We’re both young honestly and we’re entirely new to things like this. We didn’t think it would be a problem until recently. 

Timeline
Just now, wangaturtle said:

We’re both young honestly and we’re entirely new to things like this. We didn’t think it would be a problem until recently. 

It's generally advisable to do some research on the requirements of very time consuming and expensive processes before you start them.

But, as @apnzz also said, I hope that including this unnecessary doc doesn't harm your case.

💌I-129F Filed: 2024-04-03 

⚠️NOA1: 2024-04-17

RFE: 2024-06-05

⚠️NOA2: 2024-08-02

📤USCIS to NVC: 2024-08-28

📤NVC to Embassy: 2024-09-24

📥Embassy Received: 2024-09-30

⚕️Medical:

📋K1 Interview:

🪪K1 Visa Received: 

🛬POE:

💒Married:

Timeline
1 minute ago, smilingstone said:

It's generally advisable to do some research on the requirements of very time consuming and expensive processes before you start them.

But, as @apnzz also said, I hope that including this unnecessary doc doesn't harm your case.

I think we’ll be okay. As I said we’ve seen other Filipinos add the same docs and be okay. 

Edited by wangaturtle

Timeline
1 hour ago, wangaturtle said:

I mean we didn’t really see an issue with including it. Extra evidence is extra evidence and we wanted to include it. 

I understand that extra evidence is extra evidence but a receipt to show purchase of a ring isn’t really relevant to the case as other members have said that they are more interested in proof of you both meeting in person with evidence such pictures of you together and proof of travel. This should have been looked into before you sent the paperwork off but I do hope that this doesn’t cause an issue for your case and wish you both the best of luck with it.

5 hours ago, wangaturtle said:

I do want to add that our engagement certificate is dated AFTER we bought the rings. Would this be sufficient enough to not worry about the ring receipt? 

“Engagement certificate” is not a thing.

The issue with the last names could possibly result in an RFE or a denial.   You likely won’t know for several months.

3 hours ago, wangaturtle said:

We have the Cenomar too. I think now, looking at it again that it is just a certificate from the church she attends in the Philippines. They were telling us at the church that we needed it :( 

Perhaps going forward, try to only use official sources for info about how to fill out forms for immigration.

The "engagement certificate" as described sounds like a Catholic Betrothal Certificate.  If so, I think it's not needed but it's probably not harmful either since it would be clear it was just the churches blessing of the engagement and not any kind of marriage yet. I don't think they are super common in the Philippines but they are not unheard of either.

It sounds like you sent a lot more than what you needed to but as long as the basic requirements are in there like proof of meeting, statements that intend to marry within 90 days of entering the US etc., I think it would be ok. Relationship evidence is more for the interview and US Embassy Manila is often cited as being about the easiest embassy there is.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

@wangaturtle, I understand the points others are trying to make about what evidence should be included but as things have already been submitted I wouldn’t worry too much or second guess yourself right now. Hopefully the adjudicating officer will weigh the totality of the evidence presented and assuming you are in a legitimate relationship, any question or concern can be addressed if/when it comes up.

For what it’s worth, in my pre-VJ days I did include a receipt and photos of the engagement ring as part of the K1 evidence submitted. Also for what it’s worth, eventually we cut our losses and started over with the (in my opinion) far superior spousal visa, so even if the adjudicating officer were to consider you “too married for a K1”, know that there are other options available.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.