wangaturtle

We’ve sent our packet but one piece of evidence is concerning to us! Please help!

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello! So we recently a couple weeks ago sent off our K1 packet! We included all sorts of evidence like a certificate of engagement, pictures, engagement ring receipt… Now though we just remembered that when we got the engagement ring we thought it would be cute to put my (Petitioner) last name with my fiancée’s first name on the “sold to” section. Will this be a red flag to USCIS or what can we do about this? We’re both worried that we’ll get rejected because of this! We would have never sent that piece of evidence if we had remembered what we put for the name. Please help! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
32 minutes ago, wangaturtle said:

I do want to add that our engagement certificate is dated AFTER we bought the rings. Would this be sufficient enough to not worry about the ring receipt? 

I’m not sure whether this will be ok but I’m not sure why you thought the ring receipt was necessary to include as evidence? An idea of what you need to provide in terms of evidence is on this link - https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, SL2024 said:

I’m not sure whether this will be ok but I’m not sure why you thought the ring receipt was necessary to include as evidence? An idea of what you need to provide in terms of evidence is on this link - https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f.

I mean we didn’t really see an issue with including it. Extra evidence is extra evidence and we wanted to include it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

USCIS prefers evidence of in person meetings over things like purchases.

while extra evidence can be good, it could also hurt you depending on what the extra evidence is.

unfortunately you will more than likely have to wait and see if you get an RFE

you can try contacting USCIS after you've received your NOA1, but theres no guarantee

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024 APPROVED!

Visa Issued: 07-11-2024

Visa Received: 7-15-2024

Date of Entry: 11-5-2024

Married: 12-18-2024

Timeline
1 minute ago, MalloryCat said:

USCIS prefers evidence of in person meetings over things like purchases.

while extra evidence can be good, it could also hurt you depending on what the extra evidence is.

unfortunately you will more than likely have to wait and see if you get an RFE

you can try contacting USCIS after you've received your NOA1, but theres no guarantee

Okay thank you. We have already received NOA1.

Timeline

What is a "certificate of engagement"? Being engaged isn't an official, legally binding relationship status. You don't even need a ring to be engaged, it's just two people agreeing to get married. Is this a cultural thing in the Philippines? My Google searches only turn up things relating to employment.

If it is some sort of certificate provided at the end of a ceremony, I'd actually have more concerns about that looking like a marriage certificate and USCIS deeming you as being "too married" for a K1.

For the ring receipt, as previous posts noted, you didn't even need to include this but it could result in an RFE. But realistically, all the RFE could do is ask you to provide further clarification that you are not married. You can't evidence non-marriage as there's no sort of documents to do-so, so you can't be asked to prove a negative, only clarify.

💌I-129F Filed: 2024-04-03 

⚠️NOA1: 2024-04-17

RFE: 2024-06-05

⚠️NOA2: 2024-08-02

📤USCIS to NVC: 2024-08-28

📤NVC to Embassy: 2024-09-24

📥Embassy Received: 2024-09-30

⚕️Medical:

📋K1 Interview:

🪪K1 Visa Received: 

🛬POE:

💒Married:

Timeline
2 hours ago, wangaturtle said:

Will this be a red flag to USCIS or what can we do about this? 

If the only question here is this, there is no answer anyone here can provide you.

There is no way to tell how a USCIS case adjudicator will interpret the evidence you have provided.

If there is a receipt that has the petitioner's family/surname with the beneficiary first name, there is no way to know whether they would take any opinion from seeing that.

They could notice it and wonder why it is the name that it is, look into it, see you aren't married, and be like okay nothing, who knows.  Or they could just not really care and just look at the ring receipt at first glance and then put it back in the pile of evidence after just saying "oh - ring receipt" lol, there's no way to know what will happen.

I will say though, try not to overthink it too much, I know it is easier said than done, but take it from people who have already been through that stage of the process - it is out of your hands now so there really is nothing that can be done until USCIS responds to your petition anyway, so I would say do your best to protect your health and focus on other things. I think every single one of us here has had some sort of little panic or worry over what we included or did not include etc- it is natural/just human to do! But make sure you just take care of yourself :) !

Edited by apnzz

I-129F Journey! ❤️

Package sent: 02 March 2024

NOA1 Received: 04 March 2024

NOA2 Approval: 23 August 2024

Physical NOA2 Received: 04 September 2024

Sent to State:

NVC Case Created:

Case In Transit:

Case Ready:

Medical:

Interview:

Visa in Hand:

Flight:

Timeline
2 minutes ago, smilingstone said:

What is a "certificate of engagement"? Being engaged isn't an official, legally binding relationship status. You don't even need a ring to be engaged, it's just two people agreeing to get married. Is this a cultural thing in the Philippines? My Google searches only turn up things relating to employment.

If it is some sort of certificate provided at the end of a ceremony, I'd actually have more concerns about that looking like a marriage certificate and USCIS deeming you as being "too married" for a K1.

For the ring receipt, as previous posts noted, you didn't even need to include this but it could result in an RFE. But realistically, all the RFE could do is ask you to provide further clarification that you are not married. You can't evidence non-marriage as there's no sort of documents to do-so, so you can't be asked to prove a negative, only clarify.

It is a common thing in the Philippines that we have seen included in many k1 packets. Thank you for your reply!

Edited by wangaturtle

Timeline
2 minutes ago, apnzz said:

If the only question here is this, there is no answer anyone here can provide you.

There is no way to tell how a USCIS case adjudicator will interpret the evidence you have provided.

If there is a receipt that has the petitioner's family/surname with the beneficiary first name, there is no way to know whether they would take any opinion from seeing that.

They could notice it and wonder why it is the name that it is, look into it, see you aren't married, and be like okay nothing, who knows.  Or they could just not really care and just look at the ring receipt at first glance and then put it back in the pile of evidence after just saying "oh - ring receipt" lol, there's no way to know what will happen.

I will say though, try not to overthink it too much, I know it is easier said than done, but take it from people who have already been through that stage of the process - it is out of your hands now so there really is nothing that can be done until USCIS responds to your petition anyway, so I would say do your best to protect your health and focus on other things. I think every single one of us here has had some sort of little panic or worry over what we included or did not include etc- it is natural/just human to do! But make sure you just take care of yourself :) !

Thank you so much! This has helped calm my nerves. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, wangaturtle said:

It is a common thing in the Philippines that we have seen included in many k1 packets. Thank you for your reply!

Is this the "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage"?

If so, from what I understand, that is needed for marriage in the Philippines, not the US.

⚕️Medical:

📋K1 Interview:

🪪K1 Visa Received: 

🛬POE:

💒Married:

Timeline
1 minute ago, smilingstone said:

If so, from what I understand, that is needed for marriage in the Philippines, not the US.

No it is an actual certificate of engagement 

Timeline
1 minute ago, wangaturtle said:

No it is an actual certificate of engagement 

Again, not needed as you are (assumingly) marrying in the US, which does not require a "certificate of engagement".

Good luck. :) 

⚕️Medical:

📋K1 Interview:

🪪K1 Visa Received: 

🛬POE:

💒Married:

Timeline
3 minutes ago, smilingstone said:

They might be talking about CENOMAR? But I have no clue otherwise, I've never heard of a certificate of engagement, only CENOMAR (certificate of no marriage) but I thought that was only for interview stage for that specific country. I could be entirely wrong haha

Edited by apnzz

I-129F Journey! ❤️

Package sent: 02 March 2024

NOA1 Received: 04 March 2024

NOA2 Approval: 23 August 2024

Physical NOA2 Received: 04 September 2024

Sent to State:

NVC Case Created:

Case In Transit:

Case Ready:

Medical:

Interview:

Visa in Hand:

Flight:

Timeline
Just now, apnzz said:

They might be talking about CENOMAR? But I have no clue otherwise, I've never heard of a certificate of engagement, only CENOMAR (certificate of no marriage) but I thought that was only for interview stage. I could be entirely wrong haha

We have the Cenomar too. I think now, looking at it again that it is just a certificate from the church she attends in the Philippines. They were telling us at the church that we needed it :( 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.