MattJoy

Age gap plus online marriage.

19 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum . I would like advice and assistance. I am 71 years young from UK and my SO is 58 USA . We have been talking online for 2 years and are in love . I will be going to see him this year for the first time . 
we have been thinking about marriage and the immigration process. He is divorced and I a widow . I got advice from a consultant not a lawyer. 
My SO and I would like to marry online because 

• it eliminates the stress of spending money we just don’t have we are on a fixed income it is economical
  • . it also manages complex logistics bringing family together from different countries.
  • I don’t risk breaking immigration laws 
  • My SO has some disability’s that restrict his mobility.

the consultant said that I was too old which was rude and that marrying online looks suspicious no matter the reasoning. 

can I get a second opinion am I too old and is marrying online a red flag given the reasoning ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have seen older. 

There tends to be more practical issues especially if money is an issue, no NHS.

Why can you not marry in the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Good day , 

I am glad that my age is no issue I was very upset it was very rude .

I am going to USA on Esta visa to see him and it is a tourist visa I can’t marry him on a tourist visa .
I plan to come back home after my visit and settle a few issues to move to my SO in USA . it is cheap to marry online and very convenient for us as we can video with all the family . 

Are you suggesting that you intend to marry online before you come and meet him “ for the first time” ? 

‘When do you plan on marrying and where do you anticipate each one of you will be during the zoom marriage? 

I can imagine an officer being extra cautious with your case…if they get the sense you may be vulnerable to online romance scams , in part due to your age. 

1 hour ago, MattJoy said:

Good day , 

I am glad that my age is no issue I was very upset it was very rude .

I am going to USA on Esta visa to see him and it is a tourist visa I can’t marry him on a tourist visa .
I plan to come back home after my visit and settle a few issues to move to my SO in USA . it is cheap to marry online and very convenient for us as we can video with all the family . 

hi

just to point out you absolutely can get married on a tourist visit (ESTA) and many people on here, including me did exactly that. 

you just have to come home after your tourist visit and then file the proper paperwork to start the process to move

Timeline

Op will be entering on the VWP, not ESTA and not a Visa.

They certainly could use Utah.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Family said:

Are you suggesting that you intend to marry online before you come and meet him “ for the first time” ? 

‘When do you plan on marrying and where do you anticipate each one of you will be during the zoom marriage? 

I can imagine an officer being extra cautious with your case…if they get the sense you may be vulnerable to online romance scams , in part due to your age. 

Good day , 

we plan to marry after our first meeting we have been talking for just over 2 years now so it is a very exciting time .  My SO is a very good man he is an American citizen with no motive to exploit me and I am a British citizen. 

we want to marry next year my SO will be in his home USA I will be at at mine in UK . 

7 hours ago, MattJoy said:

Good day , 

we plan to marry after our first meeting we have been talking for just over 2 years now so it is a very exciting time .  My SO is a very good man he is an American citizen with no motive to exploit me and I am a British citizen. 

we want to marry next year my SO will be in his home USA I will be at at mine in UK . 

Your plan will require another visit after the online marriage before he can file . 
As noted by @Cw1977, you can marry in US during your visit. So if in person meeting goes well, you could throw caution to the wind and tie the knot on 1st visit. ..even using zoom wedding , so family can participate. Since you will be in the same place, he can file immediately. 

BUT, even if you are head over heels in love…be careful . Long distance relationships are stress tested when couples actually spend 24/7 reality time together. 

13 minutes ago, Family said:

Your plan will require another visit after the online marriage before he can file . 
As noted by @Cw1977, you can marry in US during your visit. So if in person meeting goes well, you could throw caution to the wind and tie the knot on 1st visit. ..even using zoom wedding , so family can participate. Since you will be in the same place, he can file immediately. 

BUT, even if you are head over heels in love…be careful . Long distance relationships are stress tested when couples actually spend 24/7 reality time together. 

Good day 

I was told it is illegal to marry on visa waver program and if I do I can never return to the USA . I would love a small courthouse wedding his family are lovely people. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, MattJoy said:

Good day 

I was told it is illegal to marry on visa waver program and if I do I can never return to the USA . I would love a small courthouse wedding his family are lovely people. 

By whom?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, MattJoy said:

The man who consulted us on the visa process. 

He is wrong.  You can marry while inside the US via VWP.  You just can't legally enter the US as a visitor with the intent to stay and live in the US.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, MattJoy said:

Good day 

Scratch those advice givers off your trusted list. No matter who they are. 

There is a lot of solid information on the official USCIS websites. It can take quite some time to get the full information clear  in your head .. so do lots of research there and come back here to ask any further questions .. 

US health care is very different to

UK… So please make sure your  SO does v good research and has s plan for providing you with good health care insurance once you are here. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

US health care is very different to

UK… So please make sure your  SO does v good research and has s plan for providing you with good health care insurance once you are here.

Good point.  OP won't qualify for Medicare until after 1 year of marriage to a US citizen/LPR who has 40+ quarters of qualifying work credit ...and after US working spouse is 62 years old. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

OP is showing NY as a location which is different, even so the US system can be a shock.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.