Doggy_11

When to File I-751 ? 90 days before expiration?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My wife got her greencard in Oct 2023, it's good for 2 years(she got here on K-1 Visa incase anyone is wondering). Currently the processing times for I-751 are 31 Months....

Now here's where im confused, when am I supposed to apply for her renewal? Some say in 6 months before expiration but after seeing the 31 month processing times I got the application and evidence completed and ready to send now.

She travels back home (India) every year and I didn't want the expired greencard being an issue when she comes back to the USA.

I don't know why I didnt see this sooner but the website says I can only submit the renewal when theres only 90 days left on the expiration???

Capture.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Your wife can file an I-751 no earlier than 90 days prior to the expiration date printed on the card.  If USCIS receives it even one day early, it will be rejected.  Follow this guide:  After filing a proper I-751, she will automatically receive an extension letter which will extend the expiration date on the card for 48 months.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

More precisely, your wife should file sometime between July 2025 and October 2025, depending on when she became a resident (Resident Since date on GC).

1) Go to this website - https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html?d1=15&m1=10&y1=2025&

2) Enter anniversary date (Resident Since + 2 years)

3) Subtract 90 days using this calculator.

You will get the earliest date she can file.

Do not file before or the first date of eligibility. To be safe, send everything off few days / weeks after she's eligible to file.

Send it before the 2 year anniversary of Resident Since date on GC.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
34 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Your wife is not filing for renewal (I-90) which allows filing within 6 months of expiration.

Your file will file I-751, Removal of Conditions, within 90 day before expiration of GC.

ahh I see

if she submits the I-751 within 90s days of expiration of the greencard, will it prevent her from returning to the US after traveling overseas, assuming the greencard at that time will be expired?

27 minutes ago, Doggy_11 said:

ahh I see

if she submits the I-751 within 90s days of expiration of the greencard, will it prevent her from returning to the US after traveling overseas, assuming the greencard at that time will be expired?

After filing I-751, while in the US, she'll receive I-797 letter (receipt, Notice of Action, extension letter - people call it many ways). It takes anywhere between 4 to 10 weeks to receive the letter in the mail. You also get digital copy in account, but original watermarked letter is needed for travel.

Then her GC expiry will be extended by 48 months (4 years).

She can then travel internationally with valid passport, expired green card and valid original extension letter.

Just now, OldUser said:

After filing I-751, while in the US, she'll receive I-797 letter (receipt, Notice of Action, extension letter - people call it many ways). It takes anywhere between 4 to 10 weeks to receive the letter in the mail. You also get digital copy in account, but original watermarked letter is needed for travel.

Then her GC expiry will be extended by 48 months (4 years).

She can then travel internationally with valid passport, expired green card and valid original extension letter.

Here's thread where people discuss travelling with such extension letter - 

Generally, it's best to show up at airport early as she would have to show this letter to airline staff who will have to verify everything is correct.

In my experience, one time a manager had to be called, because employee didn't know how to add 48 months to expiration date on my GC.

Also, some people had issues with airlines refusing boarding. It's a small chance but it exists. For that, your wife may need to print copy of Carrier Guide showing what documents are accepted for travel to the US. 

4 hours ago, Doggy_11 said:

Now here's where im confused, when am I supposed to apply for her renewal? Some say in 6 months before expiration but after seeing the 31 month processing times I got the application and evidence completed and ready to send now.

Who says 6 months before expiration?   I’ve never seen anyone say that on VJ.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Who says 6 months before expiration?   I’ve never seen anyone say that on VJ.

You can file the I90 to renew a 10 yr GC within 6 months of the expiration.  Now of course in the case of the OP they are looking to remove conditions via the I751 and not renew a valid 10 yr GC, so it is not relevant to them, but they certainly could have seen mention of the 6 month window.

To the OP, proceed as @Crazy Cat and @OldUser advised with the I751, do not file an I90, and do not follow any guidelines related to an I90 filing.

Good Luck!

You should file Form I-90 to renew your Permanent Resident Card if you were issued a card valid for 10 years that has either expired or will expire within the next 6 months. 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-90

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 hours ago, Doggy_11 said:

will it prevent her from returning to the US after traveling overseas, assuming the greencard at that time will be expired?

Go back and re-read my comment.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

In addition to the other answers and advice in this thread, you will both benefit greatly from studying the I-751 instructions and making sure you fully understand them:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-751instr.pdf

The instructions contain the answer to your original question and for this type of information it’s usually best to go straight to the source.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.