Fwafy

i-129f Address Question

11 posts in this topic

I am working on filling out the i-129f form. My fiance and I both currently live in Korea, but I will be moving back to the states at the start of January, and she will be heading to the UK at the end of February. Should we set our mailing address as our addresses back in the US/UK? I'm hoping to send the application early next month, but want to make sure any documents they send back don't end up at a dead address. Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Fwafy said:

I am working on filling out the i-129f form. My fiance and I both currently live in Korea, but I will be moving back to the states at the start of January, and she will be heading to the UK at the end of February. Should we set our mailing address as our addresses back in the US/UK? I'm hoping to send the application early next month, but want to make sure any documents they send back don't end up at a dead address. Thanks!

Personally in this situation I would hold off filing until you're settled back in the US and have at least 1 address between you both that is stable/consistent.

A lot of people, even after changing their addresses at USCIS, post about difficulties in receiving physical letters/notices, stuff being sent to the old one despite having a new one - additionally, the form itself requires a US address for the petitioner.

It is possible to change an address after filing, but I'd figure that out (permanent and useable/consistent address) before filing the i-129f. The petitioner's information is so so important at that stage - the beneficiaries, not so much.

Also another thing I want to briefly mention is that you might want to think about the fact that you may face scrutiny or issues because you haven't been in the US - many people on here have expressed potential issues when the petitioner hasn't been present in the US for long, as the US citizen is required to provide evidence that he/she can financially support the beneficiary, naturally that requires a stable home/residence, stable job - if you don't meet the income requirements then a co-sponsor. But I have seen lots of people that experience or discuss issues in that area. A lot of people also choose to go back to the US first, get settled and wait a bit then file the visa petition. It doesn't guarantee/set in stone that there will be issues for you in this area, but naturally the process requires the petitioner to provide sufficient evidence that they can provide that all for the beneficiary (US tax transcripts, pay stubs, employment letter etc etc); not sure about your situation as you say you've been living in Korea so that's something to think about :) )

Good luck!

Edited by apnzz

I-129F Journey! ❤️

Package sent: 02 March 2024

NOA1 Received: 04 March 2024

NOA2 Approval: 23 August 2024

Physical NOA2 Received: 04 September 2024

Sent to State:

NVC Case Created:

Case In Transit:

Case Ready:

Medical:

Interview:

Visa in Hand:

Flight:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Fwafy said:

I would marry and start the spousal visa process:

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1 
  More expensive than CR-1
  Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)
  Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 3-6 months) 
  Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 3-6 months) 
  Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period 
  Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
  A K-1 might be a better choice when 18-21 year old children are immigrating also
  In some situations, marriage can affect certain Home country benefits, making a K-1 a better choice 
  A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire
  K-1 entrant cannot file for citizenship until after having Green Card for 3 years.
  Once an I-129F has been approved, delaying the case is difficult to impossible if the need arises.

CR-1/IR-1
  Less expensive than K-1 
  No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required. 
  Spouse can immediately travel outside the US 
  Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival. 
  Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US 
  Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
  Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  The clock for citizenship filing starts immediately upon entry to the US.
  A CR-1/IR-1 case can be delayed indefinitely at NVC if the need arises. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, apnzz said:

many people on here have expressed potential issues when the petitioner hasn't been present in the US for long, as the US citizen is required to provide evidence that he/she can financially support the beneficiary

Easily remedied with a joint sponsor.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

8 hours ago, Fwafy said:

We considered this, but that would mean that my fiance would not be able to live with me in the US until the visa is approved, no?

She/he won’t be able to live with you until either type of visa is approved.   The CR-1 has many advantages.

And you will want to start figuring out a joint sponsor or a US based job.

2 hours ago, SalishSea said:

She/he won’t be able to live with you until either type of visa is approved.   The CR-1 has many advantages.

And you will want to start figuring out a joint sponsor or a US based job.

Right, but I heard the K1 has a faster processing time currently, which is why we were considering that route. However, we are thinking more of a CR1 now due to the financial restraints from the K1. As for a US based job, I'm on the hunt! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Fwafy said:

Right, but I heard the K1 has a faster processing time currently, which is why we were considering that route. However, we are thinking more of a CR1 now due to the financial restraints from the K1. As for a US based job, I'm on the hunt! 

I would encourage you to think about more than just which visa gets her here faster. The faster K1 brings a whole lot of challenges due to the need to then apply for Adjustment of Status .. restrictions on work , travel, driving etc .. as well as costs of AOS and then removal of conditions in 2 yrs. The value of entering and immediately getting LPR status is great .. And as soon as she enters you will have moved past the wait ..  the extra time waiting for the spouse visa becomes forgotten !! 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

My husband filed for the I129F petition when we were both still living in The Netherlands. He left a month after filing to get settled after living in The Netherlands for 9 years and so we were apart until I got my Visa and was ready to move everything to the USA, about 18 months later. We also thought the K1 route would be quicker. Looking back I would have chosen the spousal route instead because it probably wouldn't have taken that much more time all together and I would have avoided the AOS stress. In my case it's not a big deal to wait because I do not need to work, travel or drive and I saw AOS is going pretty quick here overall in Michigan, but I would not go K1 again if I had to do it all over. Mostly because it becomes like you're here temporary because you can't actually take part in everything yet. 

BUT to answer your question in case you do want to go the K1 route (and there is really nothing wrong with it), my then fiancé put his father's residence up as his mailing address in the US and I put my parent's address as my mailing address. Just because those two addresses were going to be safe. So if you have family you could use for your mailing address, that's an option.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.