EMBELL_17

Filing for my mom - do I have everything?

29 posts in this topic

I already filed the I-130 online. I’m about to mail the I-485 and have:

1. Check for $1440 

2. Form I-485

3. 2 passport photos of my mom

4. Mom’s birth certificate (copy)

5. My birth certificate (copy)

6. Copy of face page of my mom’s UK passport 

7. I757 receipt for I130

8. My naturalization certificate 

9. Mom’s I-94

10. Form I-864

11. 2023 w2

12. 2023 tax return 

am I missing anything. My mom is 58 years old. I’m not concerned about her getting work or travel authorization at this time. 

I appreciate your help!

Became a citizen 6/2024. Now filing for my mother.

Just now, OldUser said:

I see, got confused over this. It's I-797

Oops sorry. All these different numbers and forms! Thanks!

Just now, OldUser said:

I hope it's tax return transcript?

What about previous years, e.g 2022, 2021?

The instructions said I only needed one for the most recent year. I need the other years too? And yes it’s a transcript!

1 minute ago, EMBELL_17 said:

The instructions said I only needed one for the most recent year. I need the other years too? And yes it’s a transcript!

Didn't it also mention 3 years further in instructions? With USCIS, it's always best to go beyond required minimal threshold of evidence.

Edited by OldUser

Just now, OldUser said:

Didn't it also mention 3 years further in instructions? With USCIS, it's always best to go beyond required minimal threshold of evidence.

It asked me to fill in my income for all 3 years but only requested me to attach most recent year transcript. Thats no problem through. I’ll add 2022 and 2021. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, EMBELL_17 said:

It asked me to fill in my income for all 3 years but only requested me to attach most recent year transcript. Thats no problem through. I’ll add 2022 and 2021. Thank you!

If you met income requirements in 2022 and 2021 it won't hurt to add. RFEs delay cases by months. Good luck!

1 hour ago, EMBELL_17 said:

I already filed the I-130 online. I’m about to mail the I-485 and have:

1. Check for $1440 

2. Form I-485

3. 2 passport photos of my mom

4. Mom’s birth certificate (copy)

5. My birth certificate (copy)

6. Copy of face page of my mom’s UK passport 

7. I757 receipt for I130

8. My naturalization certificate 

9. Mom’s I-94

10. Form I-864

11. 2023 w2

12. 2023 tax return 

am I missing anything. My mom is 58 years old. I’m not concerned about her getting work or travel authorization at this time. 

I appreciate your help!

What will she do for health insurance?

Just now, SalishSea said:

What will she do for health insurance?

That is my biggest concern. I haven’t dug into this issue enough. I’m thinking I could hire her as my nanny so she can pay into social security otherwise we will have to go private or buy into Medicaid. I haven’t sat down and gone through the numbers. Do you have any suggestions?

5 minutes ago, EMBELL_17 said:

That is my biggest concern. I haven’t dug into this issue enough. I’m thinking I could hire her as my nanny so she can pay into social security otherwise we will have to go private or buy into Medicaid. I haven’t sat down and gone through the numbers. Do you have any suggestions?

“Pay into social security”?   

That’s not health insurance.   She’s not eligible for Medicaid or Medicare.

You can purchase a health care plan, but I fear you are unprepared for what the monthly premiums could be-  potentially >$1k/month.

She may want to reconsider not working, as an employer-based plan is usually the best bet.   Or hopefully she has significant savings.   If she’s relied on the NHS her whole life, US healthcare costs will be a rude awakening- medical debt is the #1 cause of bankruptcy.

IMHO, it’s irresponsible to make the leap from visiting to adjusting status without even considering these things.

Edited by SalishSea

9 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

“Pay into social security”?   

That’s not health insurance.   She’s not eligible for Medicaid or Medicare.

You can purchase a health care plan, but I fear you are unprepared for what the monthly premiums could be-  potentially >$1k/month.

She may want to reconsider not working, as an employer-based plan is usually the best bet.   Or hopefully she has significant savings.   If she’s relied on the NHS her whole life, US healthcare costs will be a rude awakening- medical debt is the #1 cause of bankruptcy.

IMHO, it’s irresponsible to make the leap from visiting to adjusting status without even considering these things.

I meant pay into Medicare :) my understanding is if she works for 10 years and pays into Medicare she can qualify for premium free part A Medicare. I understand we will be paying a hefty amount until then and we are prepared to pay it. We definitely have considered it but haven’t made the decision but I’m sorry that you think we are irresponsible. Either way she’s been going back and forth for over a year so we need to file or they won’t let her back in. 

1 minute ago, EMBELL_17 said:

I meant pay into Medicare :) my understanding is if she works for 10 years and pays into Medicare she can qualify for premium free part A Medicare. I understand we will be paying a hefty amount until then and we are prepared to pay it. We definitely have considered it but haven’t made the decision but I’m sorry that you think we are irresponsible. Either way she’s been going back and forth for over a year so we need to file or they won’t let her back in. 

Maybe it’s because I’m closer to her age that I would think more about affording health care than circumventing the queue for a green card, but I’m also a nurse and I’ve seen medical debt destroy people.   But it sounds like you have a plan/the resources to not worry about that, so that’s good.

6 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Maybe it’s because I’m closer to her age that I would think more about affording health care than circumventing the queue for a green card, but I’m also a nurse and I’ve seen medical debt destroy people.   But it sounds like you have a plan/the resources to not worry about that, so that’s good.

Yes it’s something we think about often. Currently she is using private insurance but it expires soon so we have to figure out our next move. It is very expensive but having her here saves me on childcare so if pretty much just be pumping what I save back to her health insurance. I just want to know what’s more cost efficient. It sounds like private is the only way until the 10 year wait is up. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.