Noname93

Is Global Entry worth it?

29 posts in this topic

Hello,

We (me: LPR, husband: US citizen) are planning on visiting my family over Christmas, and I was reading up on global entry. The official website states that they only recommend it for people who fly abroad 3 to 4 times a year. We're only planning on going abroad once this year, but I'm still thinking about getting it. I know it would be $200 but it would alleviate a lot of stress during travel. Would it be worth it?

20 minutes ago, Noname93 said:

Hello,

We (me: LPR, husband: US citizen) are planning on visiting my family over Christmas, and I was reading up on global entry. The official website states that they only recommend it for people who fly abroad 3 to 4 times a year. We're only planning on going abroad once this year, but I'm still thinking about getting it. I know it would be $200 but it would alleviate a lot of stress during travel. Would it be worth it?

it is almost the best thing you can buy!!!

not only does it make entry WAY quicker and easier but you also get TSA pre check so security at the other side for departures is much quicker too. The best money I’ve ever spent!!!

just remember you need an interview for global entry so you’ll need to factor that time/location into the mix too. But get it. Please. It’s superb!

I only travel internationally 1-2 times a year. It's totally worth it to me, because the airports I use have a long lines when entering the US. I would have spend additional 30-60 minutes for immigration. Also, I travel domestically another 2 times a year. With TSA PreCheck included, it also reduces time for me.

Additionally, the TSA folks at PreCheck and officers at GE seem subjectively nicer and kinder. At least it was my observation. With GE facial recognition kiosks, there were times I didn't have to interact with anybody at all when entering the US.

Edited by OldUser

4 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I only travel internationally 1-2 times a year. It's totally worth it to me, because the airports I use have a long lines when entering the US. I would have spend additional 30-60 minutes for immigration. Also, I travel domestically another 2 times a year. With TSA PreCheck included, it also reduces time for me.

Additionally, the TSA folks at PreCheck and officers at GE seem subjectively nicer and kinder. At least it was my observation. With GE facial recognition kiosks, there were times I didn't have to interact with anybody at all when entering the US.

Additional point: you don't have to pay for GE yourself directly. Many credit cards reimurse fees for GE. Those cards can come with other benefits such as lounge accees or trip delay protection.

For example, United Explorer card has $95 annual fee, which includes Global Entry, 2 free United Lounge passes yearly and free first checked bags for you and your partner, no foreign transaction fees (so you can pay easily abroad with it).

Edited by OldUser

Get it, Makes coming home a breeze. No long lines to stand in. I go to the PI twice a year. You get Precheck too. 

Edited by Bob in Boston

@Noname93 As others have mentioned the advantages, I too recommend as well, and documented some of the things to watch out for when applying for Global Entry at

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/799684-global-entry-with-conditional-green-card/

Also, apply soon since the Global Entry fee will increase in October 2024, from 100 to 120

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-announces-trusted-traveler-programs-fee-changes

And for someone going thru the visa process, both petitioner or beneficiary, the Global Entry is an extra background check, which may be beneficial since CBP, TSA, Homeland Security, USCIS, etc. are all interconnected if not integrated. If you have a clear background, clearing as many of the checks may be an advantage to expedite other checks 

Edited by EatBulaga

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Keep in mind if you are still using your maiden name for your passport and tickets, but  your GC is in your married name, then they will use your married name.  They can't enter 2 names into the system for you. Thererore,  your ticket/passport name won't match and you won't get TSA pre-check  on your boarding pass.  But you can use your GC for the global entry.  

10 minutes ago, W199 said:

Keep in mind if you are still using your maiden name for your passport and tickets, but  your GC is in your married name, then they will use your married name.  They can't enter 2 names into the system for you. Thererore,  your ticket/passport name won't match and you won't get TSA pre-check  on your boarding pass.  But you can use your GC for the global entry.  

Nice observation of yet one more pain point with different names on different docs.

IMHO it's worth changing name at N-400 stage for this and many more reasons.

I have a friend who received Global Entry for free, as an airline frequent flyer bonus (He's a million miler).

He used it once.  Never used it since.  He says it is always way faster just to enter using the free US Customs app.  No one uses that, so there is never a line for it.

Any citizen can download this app for Android or iPhone and you will basically immediately enter the country without waiting in a line, without needing to fill out an application form, or be fingerprinted or interviewed, or pay any fees.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

I'd try this before I signed up for Global Entry.

Another thing to consider:  Every single time I've waited in the regular line for the standard passport check WITHOUT Global Entry, I've had to wait on the other side for my baggage for several minutes before I could proceed.  The baggage processing time is always greater than the passport processing time.  So having Global Entry would have meant I would be waiting on the other side of the passport check in the room where you retrieve your luggage to have it possibly screened for taxed or prohibited goods, but wouldn't have reduced the waiting time at all.  That's the single reason I don't have Global Entry.  It's wait here, or wait there.

Now, if you aren't checking luggage when you travel internationally, by all means, go for it.  But otherwise not worth the time, expense, and privacy for me to do enroll in Global Entry.  Of course, those who paid up for Global Entry and see the much shorter line they go through are going to sing its praises but in the end I don't see any benefit...

4 hours ago, W199 said:

Thanks. I changed my passport to my married name 5 years ago. Interestingly I've had that issue with my middle name missing from my ticket before

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I applied for Global Entry many months ago, and I'm still waiting for the interview.

I even inquired.

The response is that it takes a long time to get an interview.

Current times are well into 2025.

One must also keep checking the site for news of approval to schedule an interview.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Thank you everyone for the answers. I think we're going to go ahead and apply. If we get approved before our trip that's great. If not, we'll at least have it for our next trip.

6 hours ago, W199 said:

My wife had passport in maiden name and green card in marriage name. Global Entry was in maiden name to match passport and was told to update the Global Entry whenever the passport name is updated to marriage name. Just need to go to nearest GE office, no appointment necessary. She traveled with our marriage certificate to link the names, no different than without GE. She just needed to present the marriage certificate to GE if asked, no different than going thru CBP 

6 hours ago, OldUser said:

IMHO it's worth changing name at N-400 stage for this and many more reasons.

Doesn't matter when the name changes. The passport name still needs to be changed afterwards and then updated for GE.

2 hours ago, spicynujac said:

Currently, Mobile Passport is only for US passports. Foreign passports with green card can still get GE.

2 hours ago, Noname93 said:

Thanks. I changed my passport to my married name 5 years ago. Interestingly I've had that issue with my middle name missing from my ticket before

Sounds like airline(s) ticketing system issue rather a passport issue. May need to have airline(s) manually update your name to match the passport. Keep in mind not updating your name to ALL connecting airlines systems for a flight can still have issues with the ticket name. GE will match to your passport name.

1 hour ago, TBoneTX said:

I applied for Global Entry many months ago, and I'm still waiting for the interview.

I even inquired.

The response is that it takes a long time to get an interview.

Current times are well into 2025.

One must also keep checking the site for news of approval to schedule an interview.

Yes, getting GE interview is the biggest obstacle in the process. Enrollment on arrival is an option provided that your international flight arrival time and airport coincides with the GE office schedule.

Edited by EatBulaga

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
2 hours ago, spicynujac said:

I have a friend who received Global Entry for free, as an airline frequent flyer bonus (He's a million miler).

He used it once.  Never used it since.  He says it is always way faster just to enter using the free US Customs app.  No one uses that, so there is never a line for it.

Any citizen can download this app for Android or iPhone and you will basically immediately enter the country without waiting in a line, without needing to fill out an application form, or be fingerprinted or interviewed, or pay any fees.

Another thing to consider:  Every single time I've waited in the regular line for the standard passport check WITHOUT Global Entry, I've had to wait on the other side for my baggage for several minutes before I could proceed.  The baggage processing time is always greater than the passport processing time.  So having Global Entry would have meant I would be waiting on the other side of the passport check in the room where you retrieve your luggage to have it possibly screened for taxed or prohibited goods, but wouldn't have reduced the waiting time at all.  That's the single reason I don't have Global Entry.  It's wait here, or wait there.

Now, if you aren't checking luggage when you travel internationally, by all means, go for it.  But otherwise not worth the time, expense, and privacy for me to do enroll in Global Entry.  Of course, those who paid up for Global Entry and see the much shorter line they go through are going to sing its praises but in the end I don't see any benefit...

I think it depends on the POE. I used the free app last time I returned to the US (last June) and the mobile app line was pretty long. Took us 45+ minutes to get through immigration. Definitely better than the "normal" line but also much slower than Global Entry.

But yes, when you have checked baggage, it often doesn't matter. Even though it took us 45 minutes to get through immigration, the bags just started coming out in baggage claim when we got there, so even if we had Global Entry, we would have had to wait quite awhile for our luggage.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

I have had Global Entry since it first came out and while my travel overseas varies year to year, I find it extremely easy to just go to a kiosk when I arrive and do what is required and obtain the slip and cut the line and be out of immigration in less than 10 minutes.  To me its worth the $85.00 I paid last time I renewed. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.