TomWlch

K-1 Visa - Understanding the process (I-134 form & I-864)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I am gathering as much information as I can about the K-1 Visa. The objective would be for my girlfriend and I to start to file it once we know the details of the process, as I would be the one moving to the US. Throughout my research on this website and others, I've been able to draw a timeline potentially, but I have several questions and I hope one of you might be able to bring the lights on my questions.

1) I saw that no evidence of financial support is required when filing the I-129F form. When will this be required? I read the I-134 form might be filed before the interview process at the Embassy/Consulate but I would like to know about your experience. Also, the I-864 form must be filed when Adjusting the status when I would arrive in the U.S ?

2) My girlfriend left her job 4 months ago and plans to find another job soon. So far, even if she left, she earned in 2024, above 125% of HHS Poverty Guidelines (we plan to be a household of 2). She also had a steady income for 3 straight years before leaving. We know having a joint sponsor is a possibility but I was wondering with her situation only, if that would be possible to immigrate financially wise? Also how many pay stub, tax returns are needed, and for how long they should be dating back for the I-134 form and I-864 form? 

Thank you very much in advance! 

3 minutes ago, TomWlch said:

I am gathering as much information as I can about the K-1 Visa. The objective would be for my girlfriend and I to start to file it once we know the details of the process, as I would be the one moving to the US. Throughout my research on this website and others, I've been able to draw a timeline potentially, but I have several questions and I hope one of you might be able to bring the lights on my questions.

1) I saw that no evidence of financial support is required when filing the I-129F form. When will this be required? I read the I-134 form might be filed before the interview process at the Embassy/Consulate but I would like to know about your experience. Also, the I-864 form must be filed when Adjusting the status when I would arrive in the U.S ?

2) My girlfriend left her job 4 months ago and plans to find another job soon. So far, even if she left, she earned in 2024, above 125% of HHS Poverty Guidelines (we plan to be a household of 2). She also had a steady income for 3 straight years before leaving. We know having a joint sponsor is a possibility but I was wondering with her situation only, if that would be possible to immigrate financially wise? Also how many pay stub, tax returns are needed, and for how long they should be dating back for the I-134 form and I-864 form? 

Thank you very much in advance! 

when I filed for my wife's K1 visa back in 2021... I sent 3 years of tax transcripts to USCIS... I also sent her 3 years of tax transcripts,  copies of course, when she attended her interview. I'm not even sure if they asked for it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Is she looking for a job? This will be something for possibly 2026

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Excellent 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I filled out the I-134 for my fiancee to take to her interview at the embassy. It is not required for the I-129F filing with USCIS. You are correct that the I-864 is required for the AOS after you are here and you file your AOS. They did not ask Jaycel for the I-134 at her interview (common at the USEM in Manila from what I understand) but I hear a lot of other USEMs will ask for it. And for the AOS they will want to know your fiancee is working.

K1 Visa
EventDate

Service Center :California Service Center

Transferred?No

Consulate :Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent :2023-09-16

I-129F NOA1 :2023-09-20

I-129F RFE(s) :2024-05-20

RFE Reply(s) :2024-06-01

I-129F NOA2 :2024-06-11

NVC Received :2024-06-18

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned :2024-07-01

NVC Left :2024-07-16

Consulate Received :2024-07-18

Packet 3 Received :2024-07-28

Packet 3 Sent :2024-07-28

Interview Date :2024-08-13 icon13.gif Submit Review

Interview Result : Approved!!

Visa Received : 2024-08-20

US Entry : 2024-08-30

Marriage : 2024-10-25

Comments :

Processing Estimates/Stats :Your I-129f was approved in 265 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 328 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

In Amsterdam back in January it was listed as required, the the I-134 and the supporting documents. They asked for it and they kept the copies for my file. So no, not for filing the I-129F, but I would definitely bring all that for the interview, including the form for a joint sponsor if you need one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.