2,889 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Arthur2021 said:

Hi, Is there a set date monthly that the embassy releases the interview times for the months ahead? 

It’s normally mid month. Although no dates were released in January.

hopefully next release date will be by 15th March.

1 hour ago, Sm4598 said:

Hi, bit of a panic here. 

The ACRO police certificates list “date of creation” and “date printed.” Which is the date used to calculate the beginning of the valid period for the police certificate? I know they’re only valid for 12 months, but the “creation” and “printed” dates are three months apart.

The first one is 2/2020 and the second is 5/2020, so ours would be valid for our 3/2021 interview only if the second date is the start of the validity.

Also, weirdly, the US Embassy site for the UK states that the ACRO certificate needs to be issued within the past *six months*, even though the actual visa requirements state that they’re valid for 12 months.

We’ve been waiting for an appointment for five months and the police certificate took three months to arrive after requested (as evidenced by the three month gap between the dates above), so how on earth could anyone’s be issued six months before their medical? 

I’m sure that the 6 month rule applies to your NVC submission. Otherwise all documents will be out of date.

2 hours ago, Charlie87 said:

I’m sure that the 6 month rule applies to your NVC submission. Otherwise all documents will be out of date.

So what I’m reading from is this: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/medical-examination/

“At the time you attend the medical examination, you will be required to provide the following:

• For applicants aged 16 and over, a UK police certificate (known as an ACRO) issued within the past 6 months”

Could that be out of date somehow? They also ask for 4 photographs and the receptionist at the medical screening place said that they just take photographs there now and to disregard the advice to bring 4 photos. So idk. 

3 hours ago, Sm4598 said:

So what I’m reading from is this: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/medical-examination/

“At the time you attend the medical examination, you will be required to provide the following:

• For applicants aged 16 and over, a UK police certificate (known as an ACRO) issued within the past 6 months”

Could that be out of date somehow? They also ask for 4 photographs and the receptionist at the medical screening place said that they just take photographs there now and to disregard the advice to bring 4 photos. So idk. 

I am having my medical on the 15th of March. My ACRO was issued 2nd Oct2020. Visa Medicals sent me an email with guidelines of what to bring and this is what they said in the email re: ACRO validity: ACRO Police certificate (or a copy) dated within the last 12 months for anyone 16 years of age & over (if your ACRO police certificate is more than one page long YOU MUST advise VisaMedicals Ltd ahead of your medical as you may need additional time with the Doctor. If you fail to tell us ahead of the time you may be asked to come back to go over this at an additional fee)

7 hours ago, Sm4598 said:

Hi, bit of a panic here. 

The ACRO police certificates list “date of creation” and “date printed.” Which is the date used to calculate the beginning of the valid period for the police certificate? I know they’re only valid for 12 months, but the “creation” and “printed” dates are three months apart.

The first one is 2/2020 and the second is 5/2020, so ours would be valid for our 3/2021 interview only if the second date is the start of the validity.

Also, weirdly, the US Embassy site for the UK states that the ACRO certificate needs to be issued within the past *six months*, even though the actual visa requirements state that they’re valid for 12 months.

We’ve been waiting for an appointment for five months and the police certificate took three months to arrive after requested (as evidenced by the three month gap between the dates above), so how on earth could anyone’s be issued six months before their medical? 

I am pretty sure it is 12months. Basing on the US Embassy (UK) website, they quoted: 

If you have resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, you are required to obtain a police certificate from the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO).  Further information is available from their website at www.acro.police.uk.

Note: The police certificate must list all names and aliases by which you have ever been known, e.g. maiden name, alternative spellings of names used on legal documents etc. UK police certificates are valid for 12 months only.  Failure to present all necessary and valid police certificates at the time of the interview will incur significant delays to your application.  If your UK police certificate indicates “No Live Trace,”  or “Further  Information  Stepped Down” you are required to provide completedetails of the offense(s) and disposition. If you do not recall the specific details, consider obtaining a Subject Access Report so that you can provide the Consular Officer with accurate information on the day of your interview.

13 hours ago, Sm4598 said:

Hi, bit of a panic here. 

Oh gosh, that is a weird one having the two dates three months apart. I just checked mine, and it was created and printed 7 days apart, back in March 2020. I honestly can't work out which date they would use either - but I really hope someone here can give you an answer. Might it be worth applying for another police cert now, just in case you need it? I think, from memory, mine took a couple of weeks from my application to it being delivered.

My friend is getting his US visa through Hong Kong now, and his HK police cert was out of date by the time he finally had his interview last week. They approved his visa at the interview, but won't issue it until he supplies a new, in date police cert which he is sorting out now.

And I saw that same 6 month validity on the US embassy webiste, but it's defo valid for 12 months. I had my interview in London in Janaury 2021, and my March 2020 police cert was accepted.

6 hours ago, scarletheart said:

I am having my medical on the 15th of March. My ACRO was issued 2nd Oct2020. Visa Medicals sent me an email with guidelines of what to bring and this is what they said in the email re: ACRO validity: ACRO Police certificate (or a copy) dated within the last 12 months for anyone 16 years of age & over (if your ACRO police certificate is more than one page long YOU MUST advise VisaMedicals Ltd ahead of your medical as you may need additional time with the Doctor. If you fail to tell us ahead of the time you may be asked to come back to go over this at an additional fee)

I had my medical last Thursday & my ACRO was issued 8 months ago and this was the rough process (appointment lasted 90 mins). Arrival, hand over required documents (all detailed in email when you book appt), complete medical form, photo taken in reception area, provide urine sample, waiting room, chest x-ray with doctor, waiting room, vaccinations with nurse (flu and MMR for me), waiting room, 2nd doctor to review medical history, basic medical Q&A,  height, weight, physical exam, blood sample. Passport returned at end and pay at reception. Provided me with vaccination certificates etc & informed if any issues identified by test results I'll be notified by phone in next few days for follow up, otherwise everything will be passed onto Embassy ahead of my 1st March interview. All very organised & professional in the visa medical venue itself. I had the same concern with the ACRO for interview so ordered a new one as a backup in case it's requested, which should arrive next week Won't submit to NVC unless requested at interview.

1 hour ago, KathB said:

Oh gosh, that is a weird one having the two dates three months apart. I just checked mine, and it was created and printed 7 days apart, back in March 2020. I honestly can't work out which date they would use either - but I really hope someone here can give you an answer. Might it be worth applying for another police cert now, just in case you need it? I think, from memory, mine took a couple of weeks from my application to it being delivered.

My friend is getting his US visa through Hong Kong now, and his HK police cert was out of date by the time he finally had his interview last week. They approved his visa at the interview, but won't issue it until he supplies a new, in date police cert which he is sorting out now.

And I saw that same 6 month validity on the US embassy webiste, but it's defo valid for 12 months. I had my interview in London in Janaury 2021, and my March 2020 police cert was accepted.

Thank you! We’re guessing that COVID kicking off in February 2020 had something to do with the delay between requesting it and receiving it? He doesn’t have a criminal record, so there wouldn’t have been much to organize on their end. I’ve posted in the general UK forum so hopefully someone there will have an answer. 

56 minutes ago, Jamie B said:

I had my medical last Thursday & my ACRO was issued 8 months ago and this was the rough process (appointment lasted 90 mins). Arrival, hand over required documents (all detailed in email when you book appt), complete medical form, photo taken in reception area, provide urine sample, waiting room, chest x-ray with doctor, waiting room, vaccinations with nurse (flu and MMR for me), waiting room, 2nd doctor to review medical history, basic medical Q&A,  height, weight, physical exam, blood sample. Passport returned at end and pay at reception. Provided me with vaccination certificates etc & informed if any issues identified by test results I'll be notified by phone in next few days for follow up, otherwise everything will be passed onto Embassy ahead of my 1st March interview. All very organised & professional in the visa medical venue itself. I had the same concern with the ACRO for interview so ordered a new one as a backup in case it's requested, which should arrive next week Won't submit to NVC unless requested at interview.

Thanks so much for this response! Can I ask how long the estimated wait between requesting the new certificate and receiving it was for you? We have our interview in two weeks and aren’t sure if there will be enough time (kicking myself for just noticing now). 

1 hour ago, Bug&Bug said:

Im fliying in few days. Can somebody remind me whats the normal amount of time to wait for the SS card after POE and when I should contact them if I dont receive it?

Thanks!

Hi, on arrival a week ago, I was advised at POE to expect my SS details within 3 weeks. If I do not receive it, to visit the nearest SS office to check/apply. So fingers cross, it'll be here soon. Good luck

2 minutes ago, Bug&Bug said:

Thankyou!!!

You are welcome. 

That's presuming you did tick the "Send my SS details" box on your visa application that would automatically dispatch it to your given address as soon as your entry to the USA is registered. If you did not tick the box, then you would definitely need to make an in person application at your local SS office ASAP after arrival.

17 minutes ago, Sm4598 said:

Thanks so much for this response! Can I ask how long the estimated wait between requesting the new certificate and receiving it was for you? We have our interview in two weeks and aren’t sure if there will be enough time (kicking myself for just noticing now). 

No problem. I ordered mine on 9th Feb and if memory is correct I think they said 10 working days for delivery, so it should arrive early next week hopefully, but as I said I'm just doing this to be ultra careful, I likely won't need it for interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.