2,888 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! My husband just had his interview at the London embassy today and he was approved. The consular officer said he was approved + his passport would be couriered in 5-10 business days.

However, I just checked his case status on the State Department website and it says “Administrative Processing”. From what I can find, there’s not much information for that happening after the visa’s been formally approved. Our lawyer said it may be a mistake in the case status, but I’m a little worried.

Any thoughts? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, matt benfield said:

Hi everyone! My husband just had his interview at the London embassy today and he was approved. The consular officer said he was approved + his passport would be couriered in 5-10 business days.

However, I just checked his case status on the State Department website and it says “Administrative Processing”. From what I can find, there’s not much information for that happening after the visa’s been formally approved. Our lawyer said it may be a mistake in the case status, but I’m a little worried.

Any thoughts? 

You’re lawyer doesn’t know London. Everybody gets that. It will change in a few hours or maybe tomorrow. If it still says that in 2 weeks, then you can worry.

And you have not actually been formally approved yet. They still run security checks

2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

You’re lawyer doesn’t know London. Everybody gets that. It will change in a few hours or maybe tomorrow. If it still says that in 2 weeks, then you can worry.

And you have not actually been formally approved yet. They still run security checks

That’s interesting, any idea what sort of checks they are doing at this point? I’m surprised they don’t do them before inviting for interview.

Edited by SM0

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
20 hours ago, SM0 said:

That’s interesting, any idea what sort of checks they are doing at this point? I’m surprised they don’t do them before inviting for interview.

I guess they want to make sure you meet the basic requirements before investing in security dives. It is usually quick to run your name through a database to see if they get hits. Most are fine. There are also optional databases which I suspect they run if not native born Brits or those with family ties to terrorist countries. There have been quite a few who are told “approved” at the interview, but then get caught up in the longer AP going through security clearances. I used to have a link describing and naming the database checks but don’t know where that is now.

The short term AP is quite normal when they are just shuffling papers preparing to approve. When your CEAC status changes to “Issued”, then you know you are approved. 

My husband just finished his interview--he got approved!! He now is concerned that our flight, scheduled for next Thursday, is too soon. I am planning on waiting until Tuesday to see if his passport gets mailed out by then before I much with the plane tickets.

6 hours ago, LN1Casey said:

My husband just finished his interview--he got approved!! He now is concerned that our flight, scheduled for next Thursday, is too soon. I am planning on waiting until Tuesday to see if his passport gets mailed out by then before I much with the plane tickets.

Congratulations !!!

6 hours ago, LN1Casey said:

Might be helpful - my husband had his interview this past Tuesday and we just got notice today (Thursday) that it’ll be available for pickup tomorrow (Friday)! 

2 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Today I did my interview 

I got approved!!!

Now I’m enjoying this moment and waiting my passport back !!

Congratulations! You must have been there the same time as my husband. Ironic!

2 hours ago, matt benfield said:

Might be helpful - my husband had his interview this past Tuesday and we just got notice today (Thursday) that it’ll be available for pickup tomorrow (Friday)! 

That is, as the other (recent) reports all have similar timelines. It eases my worry a bit. You're picking up from the Embassy directly?

My husband got his passport in the mail Tuesday afternoon. We are all set for him to fly out on Thursday early afternoon!

We got notice of his passport being shipped on Monday... which said a Monday delivery date, and got very excited.  It didn't show any shipping history though, so I refrained from purchasing an updated ticket for Tuesday morning until after it arrived (it would have saved a day of travel and three days earlier arrival). Since we got it Tuesday afternoon instead, logistics don't work for a sooner flight anymore, so we'll just stick with the Thursday travel as it's already bought and paid for.

Here's to luck for anyone else still waiting for their passports!

• 2 weeks later...

This obviously is not ideal but is there any reason why I couldn't travel to the US on a different passport (and ESTA) after interview approval while awaiting return of UK passport? I need to fly out on the same day as interview and return two weeks later. After returning to the UK, I'd then fly out on my UK passport with visa stamp with my other half - with the ceremonial package from the Embassy. I know it'd be better to wait but I'd be keen to know if there are any legal restrictions on this. The two weeks in the US would be tourism. I'd definitely only travel if the interview approved me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.