Sabela

I-751 Cover Letter Feedback

14 posts in this topic

Hi all, we’re about to submit our I-751 and would love some feedback on the cover letter. This is all the documentation we have available. Do you think it's sufficient? We’ve been searching, and we don’t think we can provide any more… Please let us know either way of any suggestion or correction.  Thank you.

Dear Adjudicating Officer, 

This is a joint petition to remove the conditions on the residence of the principal immigrant: XXX.  Both I, XXX, and my spouse, XXX, are filing this petition together. We remain married and living in a marital union. The supporting documents are listed below:

• I-751 filing fee (Check in the amount of $750.00). 
  • Completed and signed Form I-751.
  • Copy of Permanent Resident Card (front and back).
  • Evidence of a bona fide marriage: 

1. Financial and Legal Evidence

• IRS tax transcripts for the past two years (2022-2023).
  • Joint bank account statements from May 2021 (our wedding month/year) to today.
  • Farm Bureau Insurance Property Protection Plan with both names listed as insured parties.
  • Employee benefits portal screenshot for XXX, showing XXX as the life insurance beneficiary.
  • Employee benefits portal screenshot for XXX, showing XXX as Spouse and Emergency Contact.
  • Copy of previous joint car insurance policy. Please note that due to my car breaking down, I (XXX) now commute by moped.  Document XX contains a fine for the moped, which was sent to our shared home address.

2. Proof of Shared Residence

• Lease agreement with both names (joint occupancy). Please note that all utility bills are included in the lease.
  • In addition to the joint correspondence, we have also provided individual mail sent to each of us at our shared residence: 
    • For XXX: Voter Registration Form, medical bill from American Esoteric Labs, Statement of Work from (previous employer), TIAA quarterly retirement statement, and traffic ticket.
    • For XXX: Life Insurance Beneficiary Record listing XXX as the Primary Beneficiary, therapy session bill, and prescription approval for Wegovy.

3. Affidavits and Personal Statements

• Three sworn affidavits from family and friends attesting to our marriage.
  • Certified Declaration of Civil Status for Spain.

4. Travel and Family Evidence

• eTicket Itinerary and receipt for our reunion in Portugal & Spain, including meeting XXX’s family (photos included in a separate document).

5. Other Personal Evidence

• Photographs from the past two years documenting our relationship.

If you have any questions or need additional evidence, please feel free to contact me at: XXX-XXX or via email at: XXXXXX.

Thank you very much for your prompt consideration of our petition.

Sincerely,

__________________       __________________

XXXXX     XXXXX

please move if in the wrong forum. I could not find a i 751 specific one

55 minutes ago, Sabela said:

I know. We didn't file together that year bc we thought it was going to be more beneficial for us finantially. Turns out that wasn't the case.  That is the reason why

Can you not amend it and get the money back? Did you file Married Filing Separately?

Other evidence makes sense.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1 /CR-1 Process & Procedures to Removing Conditions on Residency Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

52 minutes ago, Sabela said:

Yes, I did file married filing separately that year, but I am not providing that. I am not sure if I can get money back or not, but it's a hassle at this point and even if I do, it won't count for this bc it'll have a timeline too. Is it that important?

You can be always asked by USCIS to provide that tax return. If I, an amateur, immediately pointed this out, imagine how quickly the trained eye of Immigration Officer will notice it. Hopefully they'll be satisfied with bank statements evidence so this won't come up.

13 hours ago, Sabela said:

Yes, I did file married filing separately that year, but I am not providing that. I am not sure if I can get money back or not, but it's a hassle at this point and even if I do, it won't count for this bc it'll have a timeline too. Is it that important?

I would just add a short statement saying why you filed MFS instead of MFJ. It is totally valid that you filed the way that was most financially advantageous. 

We did MFS in 2021 for exactly the same reasons. I just included the statement with my I751.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Add the first MFS tax return w/ a note about why you did it that way instead of jointly

Sept 2020 - Met

Oct 2022 - Married

Jan 2023 - Filed AOS packet

Feb 2023 - Biometrics

July 2023 - Greened

I remember now why we did it separately!!! I had foreign income from Canada and I did not meet the filing threshold, so I didn't file taxes that year. I will provide the Canadian tax document that reports the total employment income and deductions made throughout the year.  Should I also include my husband's tax return for that year, if we did not file together? what's the best approach to address / submit this?

8 hours ago, Sabela said:

I remember now why we did it separately!!! I had foreign income from Canada and I did not meet the filing threshold, so I didn't file taxes that year.

You could have filed taxes jointly getting bigger tax break on your spouse's income. And you would have had tax return to submit for N-400 for that year.

55 minutes ago, Sabela said:

Well, now it's done and there's no way for me to fix it on time. I hope this doesn't raise unncessesary red flags

I believe it still can be amended. The extra refund could potentially cover the N-400 fees or more. I guess it depends on how much effort you want to put in. If you don't want to do it - it's your right.

It's unlikely going to be an issue. You may be asked about it too (small chance) so be ready to explain.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.