SL2024

Advanced Parole Query

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has to applied and paid for the Advanced Parole option at all? And if so how long did it take for it to be approved/processed? As this is something I am looking at doing at the moment.

Hope you can help!

6 hours ago, SL2024 said:

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has to applied and paid for the Advanced Parole option at all? And if so how long did it take for it to be approved/processed? As this is something I am looking at doing at the moment.

Hope you can help!

The VJ data for Advanced Parole is at

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/apstats.php

We got AP in the EAD combo card, which took 191 days for us.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
17 hours ago, SL2024 said:

Hi all,

Hope you can help!

I decided against it. It is so expensive and would have only been worth it if you would receive it quickly, but I saw some people getting their green card a few weeks or maybe 2 months later. Which is fine if you don't have to pay more than $600 extra for it, but if I pay that amount of money it needs to come quicker IMO. Maybe that will change but so far seems like a waste of money unless you really need to travel ASAP, in that case a few weeks/months earlier may be worth it.

54 minutes ago, Nous Eb said:

I decided against it. It is so expensive and would have only been worth it if you would receive it quickly, but I saw some people getting their green card a few weeks or maybe 2 months later. Which is fine if you don't have to pay more than $600 extra for it, but if I pay that amount of money it needs to come quicker IMO. Maybe that will change but so far seems like a waste of money unless you really need to travel ASAP, in that case a few weeks/months earlier may be worth it.

AP is insurance policy. GC can take over a year to receive. AP can take 6-9 months.

If something happens to family outside the US at least there is a hope one can travel without abandoning AOS.

But yes, it's totally optional and everybody have their priorities and risk tolerance level. When I filed for mine, it was a no brainer because it was free with pending I-485 back in the days.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
7 minutes ago, OldUser said:

AP is insurance policy. GC can take over a year to receive. AP can take 6-9 months.

If something happens to family outside the US at least there is a hope one can travel without abandoning AOS.

But yes, it's totally optional and everybody have their priorities and risk tolerance level. When I filed for mine, it was a no brainer because it was free with pending I-485 back in the days.

Yeah, when it was free it was definitely a no-brainer. I flew April 8th and I honestly considered flying sooner to avoid the higher fees. But the ticket got more expensive + the hassle, I just decided to get the GC only and leave the rest be. Fortunately I can, I know many others can't. 

6-9 months is a long time. I think for this amount of money you should receive that within 2 months. In fact, I think the AP should always be free or have a tiny administrative fee of $10 and it should approved within 2 months. That should be your 'reward' for filing your paperwork and doing things the right way. 

If you think you have a straight forward case and don't see a lot of problems ahead of you, or if you don't need to travel, I would honestly save the $$. But if you expect that your GC might take a while because of whatever circumstances and it's important for you to be able to travel at least as soon as possible, then go for it. I think that decision is different for everyone.

25 minutes ago, Nous Eb said:

I think for this amount of money you should receive that within 2 months. In fact, I think the AP should always be free or have a tiny administrative fee of $10 and it should approved within 2 months. That should be your 'reward' for filing your paperwork and doing things the right way. 

We can only dream!

26 minutes ago, Nous Eb said:

If you think you have a straight forward case and don't see a lot of problems ahead of you, or if you don't need to travel, I would honestly save the $$. 

But none of us have a crystal ball to tell the future.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this subject, I understand your point.

Timeline

Thank you both for your point of view. I completely understand both points of view as well.

The timelines are interesting as I have seen people receive theirs fairly quickly but have also seen people still waiting for theirs as well.

It is a lot of money to spend as well. I think me and my fiancée have both said it would be a good thing for me to have but we don’t want to be waiting ages for it.

I looked on the USCIS processing times for the Advanced Parole applications for the California Service Centre and it said 80% of cases are usually processed in within 14.5 months. Of course this is just a guide and timelines can vary.

On 9/15/2024 at 2:57 AM, SL2024 said:

Thank you both for your point of view. I completely understand both points of view as well.

The timelines are interesting as I have seen people receive theirs fairly quickly but have also seen people still waiting for theirs as well.

It is a lot of money to spend as well. I think me and my fiancée have both said it would be a good thing for me to have but we don’t want to be waiting ages for it.

I looked on the USCIS processing times for the Advanced Parole applications for the California Service Centre and it said 80% of cases are usually processed in within 14.5 months. Of course this is just a guide and timelines can vary.

This statistics probably includes other documents obtained by filing I-131 such as Refugee Travel Documend Re-entry Permit. Those take longer than Advance Parole.

Yes, it's a lot of money, but nobody can also guarantee your GC will be processed fast.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

This statistics probably includes other documents obtained by filing I-131 such as Refugee Travel Documend Re-entry Permit. Those take longer than Advance Parole.

Yes, it's a lot of money, but nobody can also guarantee your GC will be processed fast.

I don’t think that they do as when you select some categories you can then select the relevant form and then the relevant service centre and the timelines do vary between the I-131 forms on there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.