brahstir

Birth certificate name difference

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm petitioning for my wife for CR-1 visa. We are at the NVC stage. We noticed that her name is different than her name on all documents. 

Just FYI, my wife's country is India. We are trying to get Gazetted (Registered name change). Should this be enough? 

They were told that the birth certificate can not be changed. 

Any help would be appreciated.  

How big is the difference?

Is it:

1) John Smith vs Ben Afflek

2) John Smith vs Jon Smith

3) John Smith vs John Smiths

4) John Smith vs John Brown

?

Does she have a good explanation why the name is different? How did she get other docs in different name, like passport? Usually to get one, people show birth certificate. 

Will she have new birth certificate?

Edited by OldUser

15 minutes ago, OldUser said:

How big is the difference?

Is it:

1) John Smith vs Ben Afflek

2) John Smith vs Jon Smith

3) John Smith vs John Smiths

4) John Smith vs John Brown

?

Does she have a good explanation why the name is different? How did she get other docs in different name, like passport? Usually to get one, people show birth certificate. 

Will she have new birth certificate?

It's actually John Smith vs Ben Afflek different. She said that the name on birth cert was put by her grandma during the birth by mistake. To create passport, she didn't need to submit birth cert and submitted other form of e idence under her actual name. 

She won't be getting a new birth certificate, just affidavit and name change document. 

We already submitted DS260 so can't put the name on birth certificate in the other name section. How big of a problem is this? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
48 minutes ago, bramstir said:

It's actually John Smith vs Ben Afflek different. She said that the name on birth cert was put by her grandma during the birth by mistake. To create passport, she didn't need to submit birth cert and submitted other form of e idence under her actual name. 

She won't be getting a new birth certificate, just affidavit and name change document. 

We already submitted DS260 so can't put the name on birth certificate in the other name section. How big of a problem is this? 

Expect an RFE. Get all the requested acceptable name change documentation ready and  in order asap

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
55 minutes ago, bramstir said:

Big problem. 

Never heard of this. You're looking at a very long and expensive road ahead. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

1 hour ago, bramstir said:

Interesting... typically birth certificate is the main identity document a person has and all other docs in life derive from it...

Why can't she get corrected version?

This is a big problem. DOS may think she's impersonating somebody / faking her ID.

Edited by OldUser

3 minutes ago, bramstir said:

Officials are saying that once the birth certificate is issued there's no correcting or amending it. 

Her birth date, father's full name and mother's full name is the same on all document and birth certificate.  

Not sure how to move forward at this point. 

Is there a credible lawyer she can hire to do legal analysis and put explanation in writing citing relevant laws etc? This may be something US officials could give at least some weight.

Please keep us updated. It's not every day that we see such cases. Your report will be super valuable regardless of the outcome.

Timeline

Why doesn't she like the name her "grandmother" accidentally wrote on the BC???

There's more to this story. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

I don't buy the story that the grandmother accidentally wrote a name. And if she did how did the parents let it get registered without it being fixed. And even if she did and it got registered, what was wrong with using that name? And lastly, if grandmother did AND it got registered, they'll have just done a legal name change. 

And I don't buy the story that she got a PP without showing her BC. To even get an ID, you have to show BC. If BC isn't mandated for PP, I guess anyone can claim to be Indian citizens and request for a PP, myself included. 

There's no shortcut to PP without BC. Time to quiz your partner. 

Too many "ands." 

To me, this sounds like a case of fraudulent ID.

Edited by Timona

She got her passport recently and she had to provide school leave certificate which is an equivalent in India for BC. 

I don't even get why anyone would have fraudulent Id of BC. Every single of her document is under her actual name. 

This thread is going on a tangent. We are extremely stressed right now and accusing us of a fraud is not needed to make me even more depressed. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Topic locked per OP request.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.