AaronHead

Class B Req. Attn. of USPHS at POE Annotation on Visa

11 posts in this topic

Hi all

So i'm a week away from leaving for the US on my K1 Visa. It was issued on the 15th of July and expires on the 12th December, i have it stamped in my passport and got a big sealed envelope full of documents to carry with me.

I'm looking up what i should expect at the Port Of Entry, which will be in Chicago, and i noticed i have this "CLASS B REQ. ATTN. OF USPHS AT POE" annotation at the bottom of the Visa itself. 
My medical exam went fine, and the expiration dates line up. i had to get 3 vaccines, a tetanus booster, Hep B, and COVID booster, but i got all of those. The only other thing i needed to get for the medical exam was more information on some light mental health issues in my past, one instance that led to 8 sessions of counselling, and another that resulted in a prescription for Sertraline for around 18 months. Everything went through fine and the Visa was approved, but i'm just wondering what this annotation means and what i should be expecting at the border when i arrive?

thanks in advance!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
2 hours ago, AaronHead said:

Hi all

So i'm a week away from leaving for the US on my K1 Visa. It was issued on the 15th of July and expires on the 12th December, i have it stamped in my passport and got a big sealed envelope full of documents to carry with me.

I'm looking up what i should expect at the Port Of Entry, which will be in Chicago, and i noticed i have this "CLASS B REQ. ATTN. OF USPHS AT POE" annotation at the bottom of the Visa itself. 
My medical exam went fine, and the expiration dates line up. i had to get 3 vaccines, a tetanus booster, Hep B, and COVID booster, but i got all of those. The only other thing i needed to get for the medical exam was more information on some light mental health issues in my past, one instance that led to 8 sessions of counselling, and another that resulted in a prescription for Sertraline for around 18 months. Everything went through fine and the Visa was approved, but i'm just wondering what this annotation means and what i should be expecting at the border when i arrive?

thanks in advance!

I attached a pdf which says:

"All aliens with a Class A condition or a Class B condition, including tuberculosis, not infectious; and Hansen’s disease (leprosy), not infectious. These aliens should have a stamp imprinted on the face of their visa (OF-155A, see Attachment 3) as follows:

Class A or Class B Condition

Requires Attention of

USPHS at Port of Entry

Consular officers should stamp the OF-155A when an immigrant has a medical condition of public health concern, but sometimes this step is inadvertently omitted. The inspector should check all OF-i57’s, regardless of whether the “Attention PHS” stamp is present."

So looks like either the medical exam showed you have a medical condition that needs a follow-up. Were you given any type of medication? Maybe that PDF has more information, I only did a quick search.

The big sealed envelope should hold the answer, but DO NOT open that and give that to the officer at the POE, even when he doesn't ask for it (which in this case seems highly unlikely but you never know).

cdc_53440_DS1.pdf

16 minutes ago, Nous Eb said:

I attached a pdf which says:

So looks like either the medical exam showed you have a medical condition that needs a follow-up. Were you given any type of medication? Maybe that PDF has more information, I only did a quick search.

The big sealed envelope should hold the answer, but DO NOT open that and give that to the officer at the POE, even when he doesn't ask for it (which in this case seems highly unlikely but you never know).

cdc_53440_DS1.pdf 1.68 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the response! 

I was prescribed Sertraline for a time but haven't been on that for well over a year now.

From what I can see in similar cases, it's most likely going to be due to the anxiety & depression diagnoses. I'm sure the officer at the POE will know more once he's opened the envelope! 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
13 minutes ago, AaronHead said:

Thanks for the response! 

I was prescribed Sertraline for a time but haven't been on that for well over a year now.

From what I can see in similar cases, it's most likely going to be due to the anxiety & depression diagnoses. I'm sure the officer at the POE will know more once he's opened the envelope! 

Well I am curious how your POE experience will be, make sure to post an update here next week and safe trip! Where are you traveling from?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
5 hours ago, AaronHead said:

i have this "CLASS B REQ. ATTN. OF USPHS AT POE" annotation at the bottom of the Visa itself

I was in ChatGPT for something else, so I asked.  It said:

--------

The annotation "CLASS B REQ. ATTN. OF USPHS AT POE" on a K-1 visa refers to a medical classification related to the applicant’s health. Specifically:

• CLASS B: This indicates that the visa applicant has a medical condition that is not an immediate public health threat, but still requires attention. This classification usually pertains to conditions like tuberculosis (TB) or other health issues that might need follow-up treatment or monitoring in the United States.

• REQ. ATTN. OF USPHS: This means that the applicant's medical condition requires the attention of the United States Public Health Service (USPHS).

• AT POE: This stands for "at Port of Entry." It indicates that when the applicant arrives at the U.S. port of entry, they will be evaluated by a USPHS officer or a customs officer trained to handle these medical reviews.

In essence, this annotation means that the visa holder will need a medical evaluation or follow-up at their point of entry into the U.S. due to their health condition.

--------

This seems to align with your earlier answer.  Do report to us your experience at POE, please.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I need the exact same vaccinations (can only get Hep B and Tetanus done as they aren't giving out Covid vaccines until October and I fly at the end of September) done and have the same annotation on my visa as well and was wondering what it actually means. I have had mental health problem in the past but also have a heart condition so it could be that. Please keep us updated on what actually happens at PoE and if it is anything to worry about

Edited by Small Jack

Timeline
1 hour ago, Small Jack said:

I need the exact same vaccinations (can only get Hep B and Tetanus done as they aren't giving out Covid vaccines until October and I fly at the end of September) done and have the same annotation on my visa as well and was wondering what it actually means. I have had mental health problem in the past but also have a heart condition so it could be that. Please keep us updated on what actually happens at PoE and if it is anything to worry about

Boots do private Covid vaccination for just under £100 if you are looking for a Covid vaccine booster before you travel. If not then I imagine you would get one in the USA.

Timeline
1 minute ago, SL2024 said:

Boots do private Covid vaccination for just under £100 if you are looking for a Covid vaccine booster before you travel. If not then I imagine you would get one in the USA.

I am just gonna get one in the US, my fiance found one nearby that we can get done for free. Thank you for the information though!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Small Jack said:

I am just gonna get one in the US, my fiance found one nearby that we can get done for free. Thank you for the information though!

No worries - free is always preferable of course haha

I think I might have one of those annotations on my K1 visa. I will have to check but its good to have found out what the different annotations mean as well.

Timeline

I got all my vaccinations bar one for free before leaving the United Kingdom. I was surprised to hear that a K-1 visa holder can get a COVID booster vaccination for free in the United States.

I flew into Chicago on August 11th. It was a very underwhelming experience that was over in less than ten minutes. Hopefully, you will just be waved through.  Vaccinations only become necessary when you apply for adjustment of status.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.