Myrchik

Does anyone know how long does it take to receive passport back from the embassy in Montreal?

5 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone. Had my interview in US embassy in Montreal On Feb 28th, 2024 and was told to submit DS-5535. They returned my passport back with the 221g letter.  It took me about a month to get all the information DS-5535 required.  So, On April 15th I have sent the form to US embassy in Montreal. After 4 months, I have received another email from the embassy, saying that I have to submit my passport. On August 14th I have sent my passport to them. Than, there was a status update, On August 22nd.  I assume they have received the passport and added it to my case On August 22nd.  Today is September 10th, it has been almost one month since I have sent my passport, and 3 weeks from the last status update.  

Does anybody know how long does it usually take to receive you passport back? Maybe somebody was in the same situation?

P.S. I have applied for EB3 immigrant visa.

Also, if I won't get the passport back for 6 weeks, I am planning to send an email to embassy....just not sure what to ask for? Since the status is stated online.  Don't want to be annoying, since probably many people email them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

3 weeks doesn't seem long for US immigration and especially in 221g land.

AFAIK there is no set timeline.

Do you need passport urgently for travel? Can't you apply for second passport, many countries allow it. If you want to get passport back because you want US visa in it... You can try inquiring, pressuring embassy etc but they have the key to the kindgdom and will take however long they need.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 9/10/2024 at 7:21 PM, Myrchik said:

Hello, everyone. Had my interview in US embassy in Montreal On Feb 28th, 2024 and was told to submit DS-5535. They returned my passport back with the 221g letter.  It took me about a month to get all the information DS-5535 required.  So, On April 15th I have sent the form to US embassy in Montreal. After 4 months, I have received another email from the embassy, saying that I have to submit my passport. On August 14th I have sent my passport to them. Than, there was a status update, On August 22nd.  I assume they have received the passport and added it to my case On August 22nd.  Today is September 10th, it has been almost one month since I have sent my passport, and 3 weeks from the last status update.  

Does anybody know how long does it usually take to receive you passport back? Maybe somebody was in the same situation?

P.S. I have applied for EB3 immigrant visa.

Also, if I won't get the passport back for 6 weeks, I am planning to send an email to embassy....just not sure what to ask for? Since the status is stated online.  Don't want to be annoying, since probably many people email them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Ok so they requested for your passport after 4 months. Mine is a little bit similar. I had my interview on March 18 2024, I was given 221g and told by the officer it was approved but cann0t stamp my passport and family's passport because no police clearance for my husband.  I was told to send my passport and clearance which I did and they recieved on July 15th 2024. Nothing yet. They have my passport for 13 weeks and counting.  I sent them an email and was told I am in administrative processing no idea when. So very frustrated.  Praying and fasting for a miracle. I don't know if I should request for my husband passport because he was supposed to travel for a business trip. So emotionally exhausted 

Thanks for spearing an info here.  It has been a bit over 8 weeks since they have my passport.  Wrote an e-mail to them, asking if they have received my passport and what's the status of it.  Got the reply 10 days later On October 10th, that all documents received, pending review by an officer.  So, waiting.

It looks like you(FaithinChrist) are ahead of me in a line up.  Please let me know once you get your passport/visa back.  Thanks in advance.

On 10/10/2024 at 11:29 AM, FaithinChrist said:

Ok so they requested for your passport after 4 months. Mine is a little bit similar. I had my interview on March 18 2024, I was given 221g and told by the officer it was approved but cann0t stamp my passport and family's passport because no police clearance for my husband.  I was told to send my passport and clearance which I did and they recieved on July 15th 2024. Nothing yet. They have my passport for 13 weeks and counting.  I sent them an email and was told I am in administrative processing no idea when. So very frustrated.  Praying and fasting for a miracle. I don't know if I should request for my husband passport because he was supposed to travel for a business trip. So emotionally exhausted 

Husband can always apply for another passport to travel by the way.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.