bolero_pa

Husband and Sponsor of Immigrant (via K1) wants a divorce after two months. Does he pay wife's legal expenses?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A friend of my wife has informed us that after 2 months her husband is filing for divorce. Due to the Affidavit of Support, which is part of the K1, isn't the husband responsible for all her legal fees?

I'm asking for the friend. My advice was that 'yes' she should hire an attorney, and she shouldn't be worried about being strapped with what would be financially crippling bills if later, she moves back to her home country where salaries are so much lower. My concern was that she might not hire an attorney, due to financial concerns, and then get crushed in the divorce proceedings. 

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, bolero_pa said:

A friend of my wife has informed us that after 2 months her husband is filing for divorce. Due to the Affidavit of Support, which is part of the K1, isn't the husband responsible for all her legal fees?

I'm asking for the friend. My advice was that 'yes' she should hire an attorney, and she shouldn't be worried about being strapped with what would be financially crippling bills if later, she moves back to her home country where salaries are so much lower. My concern was that she might not hire an attorney, due to financial concerns, and then get crushed in the divorce proceedings. 

Thanks!

No, there is no such requirement.   The I-864 he signed is a contract with the United States government to repay them for any means-tested benefits she obtains.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I assume the I 134 given the timeline 

That is meaningless

I assume she has not adjusted 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
14 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

No, there is no such requirement.   The I-864 he signed is a contract with the United States government to repay them for any means-tested benefits she obtains.

Sorry. I don't understand. He will have to pay for her attorney, or he will not? If no, then she should just struggle one her own through the divorce? Thanks!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, bolero_pa said:

Sorry. I don't understand. He will have to pay for her attorney, or he will not? If no, then she should just struggle one her own through the divorce? Thanks!

Will she not be going home?

Alimony for a 2 month marriage?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

36 minutes ago, bolero_pa said:

Yes, she should either pay expenses for legal fees and / or head back to country of prior residence. What's holding her in the US after only 2 months of marriage? Does she have other family here?

Does she have any legal path to stay in the US with marriage collapsing?

US citizen has all the power over immigrant when AOS is pending.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline

I have seen I 864s enforced in Divorce proceedings but no I 864 here.

2 hours ago, bolero_pa said:

Whether he is required to pay for her attorney is not related whatsoever to immigration.   

It may be ordered by the court overseeing the divorce, yes.   But again, not related to immigration.

And I agree that she should just cut her losses and go home.   She has no path to a green card other than via that marriage.

Edited by SalishSea

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, bolero_pa said:

He may NOT have to pay her legal fees, and she should NOT struggle through a divorce without an attorney.  Doing so, would not be a wise thing to do.  Her legal pathways to remain in the US are extremely limited.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

She entered with a 90 day stay

She married

2 months later she is getting divorce.

So the longest she could have been here is 5 months, probably less.

Assuming she is not pregnant this seems a simple divorce, something that can be done remotely. What is there to discuss?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Let hubby pay divorce as friend returns to PH.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

I'm not sure how she could "get crushed" in the divorce proceedings.  I assume by that you mean financially.  Presumably she is not wealthy, since attorney fees are a concern, and likely not even working here yet.  Needing an attorney or not depends on if the divorce will be contested (by either party) or an agreed settlement.  I would think an agreed settlement would be super easy to reach with just a 2-month marriage.

For me personally, I would pay for the agreed-settlement divorce, fly her back home, and give her enough cash to get her life going again.  That's assuming divorce is because of incompatibility, not if she did something egregious.

Timeline

I assume the crushing debt was a speculative comment, given her status how could she have acquired any?

Judges certainly have been known to order the more monied spouse to pay the legal expenses of the less monied spouse. But that is a divorce court issue not an immigration issue.  If one spouse was literally going to be put out with no immediate means of support even being possible I imagine a judge would probably order that too for at least the immediate short term.  Assuming the guy has any common sense he definitely should shoulder whatever costs and living expenses are involved along with repatriation until she gets resettled.  Beyond that it doesn't seem like either of them has much to loose or gain from having lawyers involved.  If it's California(?) it's just a summary dissolution which is pretty straightforward DIY.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.