fjbarraza24

Traveling for a Funeral with Advance Parole

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everyone and thank you for your answers in advance.

I received a Combo EAD/AP card last July. I was going to use it to travel to Mexico (my home country) to visit family and get surgery but my lawyer suggested I didn't do it, mostly due to the political climate in the US. I'm from the border so I assume CBP is very much accostumed to APs and other travel documents. Nonetheless, I took his advice and decided to wait. However, there's been a death in the family and I need to go back home. I was wondering if anyone has used AP for this kind of situation and if so, what do you suggest I should bring to show CBP at the border?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
15 minutes ago, fjbarraza24 said:

but my lawyer suggested I didn't do it, mostly due to the political climate in the US.

I am truly sorry for your loss.  I have always found that advice from an attorney to be boarding on absurd.  Ask him how many people with a valid AP document has he known to be denied entry.  I recall none since I have been a member here (April 2016).  Travel is why they issue AP documents. Many, many people travel and re-enter the US via AP every day. 

Bring passport, AP document, EAD, and receipt for the I-485.  Personally, I would go.  Do you want to miss this trip based on a fearful attorney's advice?

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

One Visa Journey member (in a thread you have seen) said:

"I traveled 7x in the last year on advance parole as a long time overstay and never had any issue. I did a ton of searching on this forum and others and could not find someone with issues using valid AP to re-enter. It's not zero risk, but it's minimal. Matter of Arabally has not changed and this issue has not changed. "

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

One Visa Journey member (in a thread you have seen) said:

"I traveled 7x in the last year on advance parole as a long time overstay and never had any issue. I did a ton of searching on this forum and others and could not find someone with issues using valid AP to re-enter. It's not zero risk, but it's minimal. Matter of Arabally has not changed and this issue has not changed. "

What does "long time overstay" mean? I'm doing AOS from F1 visa which just

Timeline
8 minutes ago, fjbarraza24 said:

What does "long time overstay" mean? I'm doing AOS from F1 visa which just

It means the member had overstayed his/her authorized stay, then adjusted status.  Even that didn't cause any issue when re-entering the US via AP.  In other words, with a valid AP document, you shouldn't have any issues re-entering.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

It means the member had overstayed his/her authorized stay, then adjusted status.  Even that didn't cause any issue when re-entering the US via AP.  

Thank you for your help. I have what I believe is an EAD/AP combo card. my EAD says "serves as I-512 Advance Parole". My MX passport is valid until next year, however I can't seem to find the I-485 receipt notice anywhere. Where can I find that?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, fjbarraza24 said:

Thank you for your help. I have what I believe is an EAD/AP combo card. my EAD says "serves as I-512 Advance Parole". My MX passport is valid until next year, however I can't seem to find the I-485 receipt notice anywhere. Where can I find that?

It's the I-797 receipt notice you received after filing the I-485.  It's not really necessary with a valid EAD/AP document.  Yes, you have a combo card.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
Just now, fjbarraza24 said:

Appreciate it. I have one more question. In the (seemingly) odd chance that I get re-entry denied, what would happen?

The risk isn't even worth the worry.  Good luck.  Like I said, ask your attorney for some data concerning the number of people with valid AP turned away.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I travelled twice on AP, both to Mexico and both on holiday.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.