Livona

Horror stories at POE with K-1

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Hello all,

Ive been reading around recently about what’s to be expected at the POE with a K1, and I’ve noticed there are some horror stories of people being denied entry. Now I’m worrying that the worst case scenario will happen. I saw someone say they almost got denied entry because the petitioner was a student and had a co-sponsor. I’m in a similar situation where I’m a student with a co-sponsor. I’m worried something bad will happen. We are a genuine couple, and I think we have shown it with all of our papers and proof. I just hate that there’s a chance my fiancé can get denied entry at the border after everything :(

He already had one bad experience at the border with ESTA, so it makes me even more nervous.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Livona said:

I saw someone say they almost got denied entry because the petitioner was a student and had a co-sponsor.

Never heard of that even being in the scope of CBP duties.  The visa is approved at the consulate...not at POE.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

In theory, CBP can refuse entry on any basis that a consular officer would refuse to issue a visa.

In practice, I've never heard of this happening except in the infamous example posted above.

ESTA entry and K-1 entry are in accordance with different standards.

Your fiance should get in the correct entry line (ask) and politely answer questions without volunteering unasked-for information.

Quit worrying!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

2 hours ago, Livona said:

Hello all,

Ive been reading around recently about what’s to be expected at the POE with a K1, and I’ve noticed there are some horror stories of people being denied entry. Now I’m worrying that the worst case scenario will happen. I saw someone say they almost got denied entry because the petitioner was a student and had a co-sponsor. I’m in a similar situation where I’m a student with a co-sponsor. I’m worried something bad will happen. We are a genuine couple, and I think we have shown it with all of our papers and proof. I just hate that there’s a chance my fiancé can get denied entry at the border after everything :(

He already had one bad experience at the border with ESTA, so it makes me even more nervous.

Why do you think CBP is in any way part of evaluating public charge risk?   That is only done by consular officers.

Hubby and I didn’t go the K-1 route, but after reading your post, I just came here to say that NONE of what I worried about during the immigration process actually happened. I let my mind run wild, and would freak out and obsess over unimportant things. If you’re getting some of these horror stories from Google, just take them with a grain of salt…Google only ever shows people’s negative experiences anyway. You’ll be fine!! 😊

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I remember one where the Consulate had missed an inadmissibility and they needed a waiver, not quite sure how they picked it up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

If you've been reading horror stories about K1 visa holders trying to enter the USA, you must be seeking them out and putting in a lot of effort to find them. Visa denial stories are common, but denied entry?? I won't say it never happens, but it's very close to that.

If you've been reading horror stories about entering the USA (and not specifically K1), then stop reading them :). People that tend to have horror stories entering the USA are foolish and/or are in situations that are not like yours whatsoever.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
1 hour ago, ilikepotatoes said:

Hubby and I didn’t go the K-1 route, but after reading your post, I just came here to say that NONE of what I worried about during the immigration process actually happened. I let my mind run wild, and would freak out and obsess over unimportant things. If you’re getting some of these horror stories from Google, just take them with a grain of salt…Google only ever shows people’s negative experiences anyway. You’ll be fine!! 😊

This is me, I overthink everything too! I 2nd the positive encouragement to the OP.  I have not been through the entire process myself, but I am petitioning from a developing country that has a reputation.  I had a friend whose husband ended up in 5 months of admin processing at the embassy, and still got the visa.  This is one of those things where if you have a genuine relationship there is no reason to worry! 🙂

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancée just entered the US on her K-1 visa at LAX 9 days ago and she said that the CBP officer was super nice, respectful and processed her entry there at the initial interview station, did not even make her go to secondary inspection. She said that once she got to the immigration officer, she was processed in about 5-6 minutes. Don’t let it worry you too much

K1 Visa
EventDate

Service Center :California Service Center

Transferred?No

Consulate :Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent :2023-09-16

I-129F NOA1 :2023-09-20

I-129F RFE(s) :2024-05-20

RFE Reply(s) :2024-06-01

I-129F NOA2 :2024-06-11

NVC Received :2024-06-18

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned :2024-07-01

NVC Left :2024-07-16

Consulate Received :2024-07-18

Packet 3 Received :2024-07-28

Packet 3 Sent :2024-07-28

Interview Date :2024-08-13 icon13.gif Submit Review

Interview Result : Approved!!

Visa Received : 2024-08-20

US Entry : 2024-08-30

Marriage : 2024-10-25

Comments :

Processing Estimates/Stats :Your I-129f was approved in 265 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 328 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Don't stress yourself too much. It's good to be aware of all the possible outcomes but as long as you don't do or say anything stupid (yes, that case from above!), you will be ok. Now, from personal experience (my POE was Dulles in DC), they brought me to the secondary which is normal at that airport (or maybe was, not sure), the officers asked if I had a return ticket which I didn't need to so I said "no, we will be building our life here", they laughed and told me to sit down. 10 minutes later, they told me I was good to go. Just do as they tell you and you'll be ok

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

I've seen I think 3 or 4 cases of people getting denied entry with K1 while searching around on this website. You're all probably right though, I need to stop looking at these things. I just get very anxious and overthink so I try to find reassurance, but end up finding things that make me worry even more 😭 I can only hope he gets a nice officer

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.