Simply Newt

The Journey Officially Begins

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 9/10/2024 at 1:44 PM, AlaMike said:

All of the points that @Spicy Chickenjoy has stated. As for currency exchange, Check the current rate of exchange online before you go. The exchange locations in the airport offer good rates as compared to sending money to yourself then having to pay the exchange rate plus the fees.

Also, make sure if you plan on using your credit cards out of the country, call or go online to let them know you will be using them and the dates of travel. 

If you are 100% sure this going to be your plan (K1). Take all of the K1 paperwork with you. You can go thru the list of things you will need from her, copies of birth certificates, pictures for the application, CENOMAR,  etc. This may help and avoid the expense of sending this to you back in the States.

If you are using taxis be sure they are using the meter, some will tell you a flat rate and it will be many times the actual cost if they were using the meters. Best to download GRAB unless you plan on using Jeepneys or trikes. (My 6' - 280lb frame does not fit well in local transportation).

But most of all...have fun, see the country side, enjoy the great food and hospitality. 

I have plans to rent a car when we reach our destination in CDO. When we arrive it will be late and I have them dropping vehicle off at airport. Hotel is about and hour away and never thought of using a taxi or a Grab. Should I change my plans and go for a grab instead. It will be after midnight before I am able to head towards the hotel. The rental is priced ok but requires a Hugh deposit. After watching videos of all the traffic and it being my first time there - I am thinking I may lose that deposit because of someone not paying attention.  

Edited by Simply Newt

40 minutes ago, Simply Newt said:

I have plans to rent a car when we reach our destination in CDO. When we arrive it will be late and I have them dropping vehicle off at airport. Hotel is about and hour away and never thought of using a taxi or a Grab. Should I change my plans and go for a grab instead. It will be after midnight before I am able to head towards the hotel. The rental is priced ok but requires a Hugh deposit. After watching videos of all the traffic and it being my first time there - I am thinking I may lose that deposit because of someone not paying attention.  

Do Not Drive in the Philippines, you are a major target. People will seek you out for an accident for the money, once again do not drive your first time there.  If you have been there for a while and understand the country then drive, but driving is no no for newbie.  If there is an accident you will be at fault no matter what.

Where are flying from in the USA?  How layovers do you have?

On 9/1/2024 at 7:11 AM, Talako said:

Merry Christmas everyone.

At lunch today, I heard Christmas music.  I imagine displays will be up over the next few weeks. 

(If you know, you know)

2 hours ago, Simply Newt said:

Not advisable to drive for a newcomer. Manila has terrible traffic and bad drivers. LOL. Do not hail or get a taxi from the airport. Just use Grab - nothing else. Observe the traffic, streets etc to gauge and see if you can handle driving here. :) 

Timeline
39 minutes ago, maryaaaaaaaaaaa said:

Not advisable to drive for a newcomer. Manila has terrible traffic and bad drivers. LOL. Do not hail or get a taxi from the airport. Just use Grab - nothing else. Observe the traffic, streets etc to gauge and see if you can handle driving here. :) 

I couldn't agree with this more... I rented a car on my second trip to the Philippines so that we could go to Tagaytay and back to Manila and it was one of the most stressful things I've ever done. I've been driving for 37 years I've driven in Houston, Miami, NYC, Boston, Dallas, etc. and nothing compares LOL

K1 Visa
EventDate

Service Center :California Service Center

Transferred?No

Consulate :Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent :2023-09-16

I-129F NOA1 :2023-09-20

I-129F RFE(s) :2024-05-20

RFE Reply(s) :2024-06-01

I-129F NOA2 :2024-06-11

NVC Received :2024-06-18

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned :2024-07-01

NVC Left :2024-07-16

Consulate Received :2024-07-18

Packet 3 Received :2024-07-28

Packet 3 Sent :2024-07-28

Interview Date :2024-08-13 icon13.gif Submit Review

Interview Result : Approved!!

Visa Received : 2024-08-20

US Entry : 2024-08-30

Marriage : 2024-10-25

Comments :

Processing Estimates/Stats :Your I-129f was approved in 265 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 328 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Timeline
3 hours ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

Do Not Drive in the Philippines, you are a major target. People will seek you out for an accident for the money, once again do not drive your first time there.  If you have been there for a while and understand the country then drive, but driving is no no for newbie.  If there is an accident you will be at fault no matter what.

Where are flying from in the USA?  How layovers do you have?

I am flying out of Georgia right to Tokyo.  2 hours there then off to Manila. Another 2 hours there and then off to our final destination.  Should arrive there sometime after 10:30pm. How late do the Grab vehicles run? Will they be running that late at night? Do I need to call or will they be outside airport? 

59 minutes ago, Edward and Jaycel said:

I couldn't agree with this more... I rented a car on my second trip to the Philippines so that we could go to Tagaytay and back to Manila and it was one of the most stressful things I've ever done. I've been driving for 37 years I've driven in Houston, Miami, NYC, Boston, Dallas, etc. and nothing compares LOL

I live in QC and work in BGC - it takes 3 hours for me to arrive and it 17kms only. 😆 Even worse with BER months! (September - December)

32 minutes ago, Simply Newt said:

I am flying out of Georgia right to Tokyo.  2 hours there then off to Manila. Another 2 hours there and then off to our final destination.  Should arrive there sometime after 10:30pm. How late do the Grab vehicles run? Will they be running that late at night? Do I need to call or will they be outside airport? 

Grab is available 24 hours :) Stay at the terminal and book from there. They will fetch you from your pinned location. 

26 minutes ago, Simply Newt said:

Unless you have a lot of experience driving in third world conditions I concur driving is a bad idea.  I drive there myself so I can't tell anyone not to do it but at least be very certain you know what you are getting into.   There are NO traffic controls in most places.  Not a stop light not a stop sign, no lines on the roads, have to cut across four lanes of bumper to bumper traffic to get where you are going, etc etc.  Parking is usually a big problem.  Grab, trikes and taxies are incredibly cheap.

Grab is phone app based similar to Uber or Lyft.  Some airports have a Grab kiosk in the arrivals area that would call one for you but I'm not sure about CDO.  You should place a high priority on having working mobile data.  Either roaming on a US plan or you can get cheap prepaid eSims in advance or if you phone won't support eSims they have free(ish) SIM cards at the airport.  Get Grab set up and the acct verified, credit card approved all while still in the US.

Honestly, for a late night arrival on a first ever trip to the Philippines, at least check with your hotel how much it costs to have a driver waiting for you with a sign in arrivals.  It will probably cost twice what a Grab would charge but is probably still ridiculously cheap and provides piece of mind and lowers stress.

Be careful making tight schedules.  The Philippines is a "tight schedule averse environment".  A night time arrival at CDO is almost guaranteed to be significantly delayed.  The two hour layover in Manila is doable but still a little risky if the arrival and departure is all in Terminal 3.  It could be almost impossible if there is a terminal change and separate tickets.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

5 hours ago, Simply Newt said:

Thank you for this advise. Will have to look closer at the CR1 route. I thought the denial rate was higher for the CR1. Not true?

Philippines has a very low denial rate in general but CR1 has less denials. It really depends on your goals. If your only goal is to get her to America as fast as possible, K1. But, the K1 only starts the journey. In the end the K1 costs more, it will take much longer to get a green card, so if her plan is to work here, be prepared for a long wait. You will need to file more paperwork to adjust status. With a CR1 it's one and done. Everything is done up front. You can do a online wedding but you do have to have an in person visit after the wedding in order to file.

Agree with the others, you do not want to rent a car there especially your first time. I have been to the Philippines 11 times and still have not drove there. Like @top_secret said check with the hotel you are staying at if they can provide a shuttle service from the airport. I have a driver I have always used for over 13 years, but my most recent trip I arrived late in Manila so I stayed 1 night in a hotel there before heading to our house. The hotel arranged a shuttle, which was good because we had 4 people, 8 large suitcases, and our carry ons so I definitely needed a van. Then I had our normal driver pick us up in the morning the next day. Get used to trikes. Where my wife lives we take a trike everywhere. You will be spending a lot more if you take Grab everywhere.

Timeline

I have used them all. Taxis, Grab and have rented a car. Unless you are planning to travel long distances and doing a lot of sight seeing there is no need to rent a car. If you do decide to rent, check out the prices in Klook.com. They are a 3rd party rental but you still get the car from Hertz, etc. 

But, like everyone has said; driving in the Philippines can be a hair raising experience. You are on the surface street with everything from pedestrians (that have no clue) to kamikaze bus drivers and everything in between. Traffic lights and road signs, if there are any and merely a suggestion as many intersections have nothing. 

But on the national highways traffic is much better, not much but better. I am always shocked at how everyone drives but surprisingly everyone gets out each others way. 

I see you are in Alabama also. If you need anything, I would be happy to talk to you. 

Timeline

I don't risk bringing or depending on having enough cash, except a small emergency amount.  The Schwab debit card has $0 exchange or international fees, and they reimburse you all the ATM fees. The exchange rate is the basically market rate which is close to the best you can get.  For backup, I use Fidelity and Etrade debit cards which are similar in refunding all the fees and the market exchange rate. But they might have a 1% fee. Can't keep track.  For a 3rd backup, I also just have a local bank account and they will even lend you $10K emergency funds if need. Yeah .. paranoid and overkill .. 

When you take your trip, the key things that you should do for your K-1 is

1) Take a photo of your boarding pass to Manila before it gets lost. Since she is meeting you there, take a photo of hers. You can submit it as proof you met her.  

2) Don't lose your passport and the passport stamp entering Manila. This is critical evidence for your K-1

3) Take photos of you with her, and with her and her friends and her family to prove its not a secret. This is required to get the K-1.

The cost or renting a car or even a van and driver, and keeping both 24/7 is not much difference in cost than renting a car.  I do this for long trips to the province, and keep the car and driver for a couple of days for longer side-trips.  Its crazy to drive a car there since the custom is different, you'll probably run over a few motorbikes.  You will be blamed for any accident.  Actually, I just rent a motor-bike an go crazy, as the drivers wait and expect you to cut in front, etc.. if you don't they even get confused. But I am NOT recommending this for you if you are not already skilled in riding a motorcycle, but personally I love it, and can't live without it in the province.

Oh .. make sure you have a BC plan .. hehe. You will certainly need it.

Edited by W199

On 9/7/2024 at 11:27 AM, Simply Newt said:

This will be my first time going to the Philippines and am looking for any advice on anything I may need to know before leaving

One thing that I forgot to mention, pasalubong. It is customary to bring gifts when you go the the Philippines, for your fiance as well as family members. It can be snacks (they love chocolates from abroad) clothing, lotion, soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc. In Philippines most things are single use. so you buy as you need. Shampoo and conditioner is in single use packets. I bring the big ones from Costco or Sam's Club with a pump. I get some lotions and cologne spray from Bath and Body Works. I pick up T-Shirts from our local swap meet.

I second a lot of the info here:

Truly the friendliest people I've met (Costa Rica is the closest in the western hemisphere but PH is times 10).  Strangers will just strike up conversations on buses, in restaurants, etc.  First time I was there riding a motorcycle along the roads of Bohol with a Filipina girl this group of young guys rode by yelling at us.  I thought maybe it was something like "Go Home Gringo" or "Don't Take Our Women" but my partner told me they were just yelling "Welcome to the Philippines!"

I never rent a car abroad (other than Australia).  Why do the work yourself, worry about getting lost, parking, fees, navigating, traffic, etc. when you can pay a professional who knows the roads?  But especially in PH--taxis are cheap and ubiquitous--plus they will handle luggage for you and everything.  It's like being a VIP.  Traffic is a nightmare and you want someone who knows the routes.  Grab is good but not needed.  If your girl has the app you can use it but I always just flag a regular taxi (there are huge lines of them at any airport) and never had a problem other than the Manila Airport Taxis which will rip you off and say the meter is broken.

Been using Schwab card for years traveling abroad.  It basically gives you the equivalent of a temporary local bank account abroad--you can withdraw money from ATMs in local currency without any fees at the prevailing VISA exchange rate.  Without this you're paying 500PHP every time you get cash PLUS 4.5% or higher markup on the conversion (or exchanging in bulk at the airport or Western Union / M'Luihiller with the risk of carrying around too much money).

Also strongly recommend the IR1 over the fiance K1, if you're sure you will marry.  Great plan would be to do the Utah marriage in PH before you head home, because the clock starts ticking at your first physical presence together as husband and wife.  Very strongly recommend universal heart ministry Rev. Chris who made our day so special but you can also get a Utah state bureaucrat to do it for about $10 cheaper.  I did the Utah online ceremony as a civil union and then planned a religious church ceremony the next year in PH (also a great way to make the waiting time go by).

On 9/13/2024 at 7:00 AM, Simply Newt said:

Thank you for this advise. Will have to look closer at the CR1 route. I thought the denial rate was higher for the CR1. Not true?

The denial rate for bringing a stranger to the country (K1 fiance) is always higher than bringing your wife or any other family member (IR1/5).  And of course some fiances come to USA and never marry.  Do they all return home?  The bar is lower and less evidence required for family members.   Either way PH does not have a high denial rate for either case.

and will add:

Filipinos love to talk loudly and laugh a lot!

Get out of the cities, *ESPECIALLY MANILA*.  I have traveled all over the world and Manila is the poorest presenting and most depressing I've seen (I've been to poorer countries but none affected me the way Manila did--it was truly a shocker).  I avoid Manila at all costs for multiple reasons (taxi drivers there rip you off but never had a single problem in Cebu, authorities much stricter, etc.) but I spent one night in Manila and I had to literally step over the bodies of homeless people sleeping on the bridge to cross to the other side and catch my bus... sad, dirty, noisy, (to me) very ugly.  Anywhere out of the city is fantastic.  I love Bohol!

You need a copy of your airline ticket to enter the airport--you can't just show up and expect to check in and get your boarding pass.  There is a guard at the door who only lets people into the airport who can show proof of a ticket.  Learned this the hard way once when I had to go walk with all my luggage to some office and pay ~$1 for a paper ticket and come back to him, wasting an hour in the heat).  Screenshot on your phone is fine.  I suppose it keeps pickpockets, etc. out of the airport.

Expect incredible levels of service.  I am so spoiled by the general service levels in Asia and particularly PH that I can barely tolerate American taxis, hotels, waitresses, etc.  Enjoy breakfasts at your $75 hotel that will rival what you get at the Four Seasons back home.  Doormen, Bellhops, guards, sharply dressed in uniform, happy to assist you with a smile while they address you as sir.  Baggage carts will be personally delivered to you at the airport for free--they cost $15 to RENT in Atlanta's airport.  You can enjoy an hour massage every day for the cost of a fast food meal back home.  Really incredible lifestyle.

Going to the mall is FUN!  As a guy I can honestly say I like shopping there.  Malls are big social events.

Transportation is great.  No matter where you want to go, there is a plane, bus, boat, rapid van, jeepney, taxi or tricycle heading there every few minutes, or just flag down someone with a motorbike and they'll take you for as little as 50p!  

You are treated the way you deserve (unlike say the TSA who pats down grandmas, often I'm just waved into the mall by the security guard at the door because I'm obviously not there to cause harm).

If you need data, SIM card is easy and cheap (well not as easy now with new identity registration law but still cheap--or just use wifi in your hotel and I get around with Maps.me offline map app).

The food is below par in Asia for a westerner, nothing like Taiwan or Japan with lots of delicious Sushi and high quality beef--it's low quality pork cuts and lots of unhealthy fried foods (my girl loves Pork Knuckles).  You can find decent food but this was perhaps my biggest disappointment.  But great cheap fruits and fresh juices/smoothies and Buko pie is amazing.

Do extra cheesy / romantic things.  Buy your girl flowers.  Make her feel special / different.  #1 country in the world for Facebook is Philippines so she will take a hundred photos of it and feel very kilig.  Bring some pasalubong and sing karaoke and the family will be ready for you to marry that night 😁

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.