Simply Newt

The Journey Officially Begins

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all. I am an American getting ready to venture over the the Philippines for the very first time to meet my fiancée for the very first time. She is currently an OFW working in Hong Kong and I was able to purchase her plane ticket to coordinate with mine where we will meet for the first time in Manila with a two hour lay over. Then we will board a plane where I purchased seats so she will be able to sit next to me and we will fly to our destination in CDO. I will spend just a week there as I have spent my vacation time earlier in the year and have minimal days left. 

This will be my first time going to the Philippines and am looking for any advice on anything I may need to know before leaving and while I am there. We are going to use a K1 Visa to get her into the USA so we can get married and any advice on what I need to do while we are together for that short week will be very helpful to me. I plan onmeeting her family and this time and I am sure I will be very nervous in doing so. 

Thank you for your time and I look forward to reading the responses very soon. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Moved to the Philippines Regional forum where similar PI questions are answered by our esteemed Philippine Experts.***

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

58 minutes ago, Mylin And Bruce said:

She is currently an OFW working in Hong Kong and I was able to purchase her plane ticket to coordinate with mine where we will meet for the first time in Manila with a two hour lay over.

Coordinating two people meeting in Manila for the first time arriving from seperate flights all on a 2 hour layover could be a little bit tight timewise.  Delays are very common at MNL.  Is it all from the same terminal????

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
18 hours ago, top_secret said:

Coordinating two people meeting in Manila for the first time arriving from seperate flights all on a 2 hour layover could be a little bit tight timewise.  Delays are very common at MNL.  Is it all from the same terminal????

Yes, She will arrive first from where she lives and have a 5 hour wait before our 2nd flight leaves for CDO. I will arrive a couple hours later with 2 hours before our flight to CDO leaves. So we will enjoy a couple hours of bonding before we have to board our second flight.

Congratulations on your journey! ☺️

I’m not entirely sure how long the CR1 process nowadays but what I can tell you is K1 approval now is as short as 60 days!

And if all goes smooth (I hope it does!!), medical is smooth she can fly out to the US in 5-6 months.

I’ve seen a lot of cases like this! Plus embassy is finally opening up more interview slots now (Tuesdays). November slots are open already as early as today. 

Goodluck! 

Enjoy the first meeting, you will never forget it!

I just have some advice for your K1 Visa.... make sure your fiance gets a police clearance certificate before she leaves Hong Kong, this will make life easier later on in the process.

I filed last month, unfortunately the USCIS has slowed down significantly right now on processing the applications, its in the 4-6 month time frame now just for I-129F approval... it was 2-3 months a few months ago.

Edited by RufusDawes

Timeline
On 9/8/2024 at 8:38 PM, RO_AH said:

Some advice. Dress very casual. Don't wear jewelry. When in public and walking around keep your cell phone put away. When I go I keep a separate wallet from my wallet I use at home. I keep my drivers license and whatever money I will need for the day. I keep my wallet in my front pocket. I always keep my passport where I am staying and never take it out and about. Bring USD with you. Make sure they are nice clean crisp bills because money changers are sometimes picky. You get the best exchange rates by exchanging there and no fees as opposed to sending money to yourself through a remittance service. I have never felt unsafe there but I always understand that I am in a foreign country and some people will target foreigners, so I always try to take these precautions and always stay aware.

Don't be nervous about meeting her parents.  Filipinos are probably the most welcoming and friendly people in the world. My 1st trip to the Philippines was a life changing experience, I fell in love with my wife, the country and the people there. I have been there 11x total and my next trip will be permanent.

Last, I always recommend a CR1 over K1. I know a lot of people that went the K1 route and wished they did the CR1. I don't know of anyone that went the CR1 route that wished that they did a K1. Whatever route that you choose, make sure that you take lots of pictures and that she has her family and friends in the pictures too. This will be needed for your visa application.

Excellent advice. Nothing to add other than have fun!

I-129F Shipped: 6/8/2024

I-129F NOA1: 6/10/2024

I-129F NOA2: 9/10/2024

NVC Received:

Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned:    

NVC Left:    

Consulate Received:

Timeline

All of the points that @Spicy Chickenjoy has stated. As for currency exchange, Check the current rate of exchange online before you go. The exchange locations in the airport offer good rates as compared to sending money to yourself then having to pay the exchange rate plus the fees.

Also, make sure if you plan on using your credit cards out of the country, call or go online to let them know you will be using them and the dates of travel. 

If you are 100% sure this going to be your plan (K1). Take all of the K1 paperwork with you. You can go thru the list of things you will need from her, copies of birth certificates, pictures for the application, CENOMAR,  etc. This may help and avoid the expense of sending this to you back in the States.

If you are using taxis be sure they are using the meter, some will tell you a flat rate and it will be many times the actual cost if they were using the meters. Best to download GRAB unless you plan on using Jeepneys or trikes. (My 6' - 280lb frame does not fit well in local transportation).

But most of all...have fun, see the country side, enjoy the great food and hospitality. 

Timeline

I can't emphasize enough @AlaMike comment about using either Grab or metered taxis.... I lived in CDO for 13 months and I made the mistake of using a "flat-rate" taxi from the airport there to our condo once and it was 4 times the cost of a metered taxi or Grab trip. In CDO, eat at the Fat Chef restaurant (there's one downtown and one uptown). They have great bulalo!

K1 Visa
EventDate

Service Center :California Service Center

Transferred?No

Consulate :Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent :2023-09-16

I-129F NOA1 :2023-09-20

I-129F RFE(s) :2024-05-20

RFE Reply(s) :2024-06-01

I-129F NOA2 :2024-06-11

NVC Received :2024-06-18

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned :2024-07-01

NVC Left :2024-07-16

Consulate Received :2024-07-18

Packet 3 Received :2024-07-28

Packet 3 Sent :2024-07-28

Interview Date :2024-08-13 icon13.gif Submit Review

Interview Result : Approved!!

Visa Received : 2024-08-20

US Entry : 2024-08-30

Marriage : 2024-10-25

Comments :

Processing Estimates/Stats :Your I-129f was approved in 265 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 328 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

On 9/9/2024 at 1:42 AM, Simply Newt said:

Yes, She will arrive first from where she lives and have a 5 hour wait before our 2nd flight leaves for CDO. I will arrive a couple hours later with 2 hours before our flight to CDO leaves. So we will enjoy a couple hours of bonding before we have to board our second flight.

I got to say that 2 hours could be tight.  If your international and domestic flights leave from the same terminal, it will be tight.  You will have to hustle.  Immigration varies from "ok" lines to "holy #######" this is ugly.  It is dependent on time of day and number of flight arrivals.  If you have to change terminals, then you really need to hustle and pray.

One unknown is the new immigration procedures (they ask more questions) and how that may or may not affect the time to get through immigration.

Worse case, you take the next flight to CDO.  No big deal.

Grab is your friend.

Edited by Talako

Finally done.

Some advice. Dress very casual. Don't wear jewelry. When in public and walking around keep your cell phone put away. When I go I keep a separate wallet from my wallet I use at home. I keep my drivers license and whatever money I will need for the day. I keep my wallet in my front pocket. I always keep my passport where I am staying and never take it out and about. Bring USD with you. Make sure they are nice clean crisp bills because money changers are sometimes picky. You get the best exchange rates by exchanging there and no fees as opposed to sending money to yourself through a remittance service. I have never felt unsafe there but I always understand that I am in a foreign country and some people will target foreigners, so I always try to take these precautions and always stay aware.

Don't be nervous about meeting her parents.  Filipinos are probably the most welcoming and friendly people in the world. My 1st trip to the Philippines was a life changing experience, I fell in love with my wife, the country and the people there. I have been there 11x total and my next trip will be permanent.

Last, I always recommend a CR1 over K1. I know a lot of people that went the K1 route and wished they did the CR1. I don't know of anyone that went the CR1 route that wished that they did a K1. Whatever route that you choose, make sure that you take lots of pictures and that she has her family and friends in the pictures too. This will be needed for your visa application.

K1 Visa move much much faster, I wouldn't ever recommend a CR1 Visa, it has way too many negatives. And he will only be there for a week.

On 9/10/2024 at 2:13 PM, Edward and Jaycel said:

I can't emphasize enough @AlaMike comment about using either Grab or metered taxis.... I lived in CDO for 13 months and I made the mistake of using a "flat-rate" taxi from the airport there to our condo once and it was 4 times the cost of a metered taxi or Grab trip. In CDO, eat at the Fat Chef restaurant (there's one downtown and one uptown). They have great bulalo!

Metered Taxi will still rip you off.  My last trip I took it from NAIA terminal 3 to US Embassy in Manila at night aroud 10pm and he somehow rigged the meter to say 1500 peso, I have made this trip probably 40 trips and it is around 380 peso on grab or even taxi leaving going to airport. I gave him 500 peso, but looking back I should of given him nothing, he caught me being tired from flight.

They had a kiosk outside the termial that was a grab.

On 9/10/2024 at 1:44 PM, AlaMike said:

All of the points that @Spicy Chickenjoy has stated. As for currency exchange, Check the current rate of exchange online before you go. The exchange locations in the airport offer good rates as compared to sending money to yourself then having to pay the exchange rate plus the fees.

Also, make sure if you plan on using your credit cards out of the country, call or go online to let them know you will be using them and the dates of travel. 

If you are 100% sure this going to be your plan (K1). Take all of the K1 paperwork with you. You can go thru the list of things you will need from her, copies of birth certificates, pictures for the application, CENOMAR,  etc. This may help and avoid the expense of sending this to you back in the States.

If you are using taxis be sure they are using the meter, some will tell you a flat rate and it will be many times the actual cost if they were using the meters. Best to download GRAB unless you plan on using Jeepneys or trikes. (My 6' - 280lb frame does not fit well in local transportation).

But most of all...have fun, see the country side, enjoy the great food and hospitality. 

I have found the currency rate at the airport in the secured area after arrving to be excellent and they are quick to exchange large amounts.

Timeline

Thank you for this advise. Will have to look closer at the CR1 route. I thought the denial rate was higher for the CR1. Not true?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.