drumsmia

USC graduate student sponsoring wife (IR1). Already DQ. Confused about next steps

8 posts in this topic

I'm a USC and was working full-time when we got DQ (May 2024). My wife (applicant) and I are still waiting for our IL (Montreal) and I've just started my grad school and also no longer employed. I'm on a full scholarship and stipend that is above the USCIS poverty guidelines. My permanent address has also changed to another state where my school is at. 

Will these things be an issue during my wife's IR1 interview in Montreal? Do we have to update our I-864EZ?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

This shouldn’t be an issue.  Your wife can update your living situation when the interview comes around.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, drumsmia said:

@Dashinka thanks. How can my wife update the living situation? Should she just inform them during the interview? Or does she have to submit an updated I-864EZ, lease agreement, and enrollment/scholarship/stipend confirmation before attending the interview? 

She just gives a new address, and they will note it in the system.  You can upload an updated financial package before the interview, as belt and suspenders.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hey @drumsmia,

Glad to hear you guys are DQ! It should not be an issue that your financial information has changed as long as you still meet the minimum income required by USCIS, like you said. I believe that's currently $25,550 for a two-person household. Do make sure to bring all evidence of your current income to your interview, such as any tax documents, paystubs (I guess this wouldn't be applicable in your case, but perhaps monthly statements with your scholarship/stipend?), and any other type of income. It might be helpful to have a statement from whoever issues your scholarship and stipend--I assume your university?--which also confirms the amount you receive on a monthly or yearly basis. HOWEVER, you will have to change your address with the NVC as you are the principal sponsor. I believe that would be form I-865 (Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address). It's a simple form that you should be able to upload to CEAC. CEAC is the same website where you uploaded all of the documents required, such as your original I-864. You can also upload an updated I-864 to CEAC like @pushbrk said, as a 'belt-and-suspenders' situation. 

Your wife can tell them your new address at the interview, or she can contact Montreal's IV section to request they "release" her DS-160 form. I believe their email address is Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov. That will allow her to re-login to the DS-160 portal and update all of her outdated information, then re-submit her DS-160. She'll have to update her address but also yours, no? (I believe there's a section that requests the address where she plans to stay at in the US, which is usually where the USC is living at or a family member's address. If I'm incorrect, then please ignore this item!). I'm an immigration paralegal, and we had a client that had to contact the IV section in their foreign country to do the same thing. Hopefully they'll be just as quick in this situation.

Crossing my fingers for you both!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, drumsmia said:

@Dashinka @pushbrk @powpow13 If my wife(beneficiary) had a change in her employment status in Canada - do we have to update that too before interview? 

Not a high priority, she can update the CO at the interview of the change to the DS260, but it should not be an issue.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
7 hours ago, drumsmia said:

@Dashinka @pushbrk @powpow13 If my wife(beneficiary) had a change in her employment status in Canada - do we have to update that too before interview? 

No.  If asked at interview, she can mention it.  Since she's immigrating to the USA, they would expect she'll be leaving any job she already had anyway, so don't expect it to come up.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.