DELTAFOXTROT

Report of Marriage to PSA - Pros and Cons?

13 posts in this topic

For some reason the PSA suggests to register a marriage if done abroad.

Why is that? Only reason I can think of if you wanted a Philippines Passport in your married name or if your spouse applies for a 13A visa in the future to live in Philippines it has to be done.

For me I don't want my name on any registers in the Philippines. My wife has her US Citizenhip, Her Philippines passport is in her married name, and I have zero plans to live or retire in the Philippines.

So I am correct in assuming for me and my wife purpose we don't need to do a ROM?

Report of Marriage: Application by Mail - Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines (philippineembassy-dc.org)

6 hours ago, Talako said:

How did she get a Philippine passport in her married name without a ROM?  Something is not right in your fact pattern.

@DELTAFOXTROT Yes, Philippines passport renewal to marriage name requires the Report Of Marriage.

https://philippineembassy-dc.org/e-passport-renewal/

See the Additional Requirement for Change of Family Name.

10 hours ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

For some reason the PSA suggests to register a marriage if done abroad.

Why is that? Only reason I can think of if you wanted a Philippines Passport in your married name or if your spouse applies for a 13A visa in the future to live in Philippines it has to be done.

For me I don't want my name on any registers in the Philippines. My wife has her US Citizenhip, Her Philippines passport is in her married name, and I have zero plans to live or retire in the Philippines.

So I am correct in assuming for me and my wife purpose we don't need to do a ROM?

Report of Marriage: Application by Mail - Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines (philippineembassy-dc.org)

Assuming for a moment that she got her US Citizenship, but her Philippines passport is still in her maiden name, she still needs to repatriate with the Philippines Embassy for dual citizenship.

See the Additional Requirements for Dual Citizens.

At the time of repatriation for dual citizenship, why would she want to claim her maiden name (with no the ROM) and not her marriage name (with ROM) if only to re-marry later in the Philippines?

One reason I can think of for the ROM is for claiming inheritance in case of a Philippines citizen's death. The foreign spouse with ROM can claim inherited properties in the Philippines, but can not buy properties. And foreigners can not inherit Philippines property from foreigners.

Also, the children can claim the legitimacy of the parents in the Report of Birth with the parent's ROM. For example, a foreigner married a Philippines citizen. Philippines citizen died and the foreigner inherited the Philippines property. The foreigner died and the non-Philippines or illegitimate children can not claim inheritance of the foreigner's Philippines property. However, the Philippines legitimate children can claim the inheritance of the Philippines property from the deceased foreigner parent. 

This was what someone told me before so this is second-hand interpretation.

Someone who is more knowledgeable about Philippines laws may want to fact check me?

Edited by EatBulaga

3 minutes ago, EatBulaga said:

@DELTAFOXTROT Yes, Philippines passport renewal to marriage name requires the Report Of Marriage.

See the Additional Requirement for Change of Family Name.

Assuming for a moment that she got her US Citizenship, but her Philippines passport is still in her maiden name, she still needs to repatriate with the Philippines Embassy for dual citizenship.

See the Additional Requirements for Dual Citizens.

At the time of repatriation for dual citizenship, why would she want to claim her maiden name (with no the ROM) and not her marriage name (with ROM) if only to re-marry later in the Philippines?

One reason I can think of for the ROM is for claiming inheritance in case of a Philippines citizen's death. The foreign spouse with ROM can claim inherited properties in the Philippines, but can not buy properties. And foreigners can not inherit Philippines property from foreigners.

Also, the children can claim the legitimacy of the parents in the Report of Birth with the parent's ROM. For example, a foreigner married a Philippines citizen. Philippines citizen died and the foreigner inherited the Philippines property. The foreigner died and the non-Philippines or illegitimate children can not claim inheritance of the foreigner's Philippines property. However, the Philippines legitimate children can claim the inheritance of the Philippines property from the foreigner parent. 

This was what someone told me before so this is second-hand interpretation.

Someone who is more knowledgeable about Philippines laws may want to fact check me?

My wife got her Dual Citizenship like 2 years ago, that is over with.

Her Philippines Passport is in her maiden name.

I won't be nor will my wife be buying any property while I am alive, she might when I die, but I suspect she will stay in the house I have now, it's much nicer living in USA vs Philippines. USA is comfortable and convient and modern.

16 minutes ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

My wife got her Dual Citizenship like 2 years ago, that is over with.

Her Philippines Passport is in her maiden name.

I won't be nor will my wife be buying any property while I am alive, she might when I die, but I suspect she will stay in the house I have now, it's much nicer living in USA vs Philippines. USA is comfortable and convient and modern.

One option when not having the ROM is the Philippines spouse can always go back to the Philippines and re-marry easily since she is still single in the Philippines.

It's up to the US citizens to determine if that is favorable or not for unforeseen cases like if one gets incapacitated, what keeps her from draining your savings and moving back to the Philippines to start a new life? Then again if this is a far-fetched scenario not worth considering, then no need to continue with this thread?

Edited by EatBulaga

9 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

One option when not having the ROM is the Philippines spouse can always go back to the Philippines and re-marry easily since she is still single in the Philippines.

It's up to the US citizens to determine if that is favorable or not for unforeseen cases like if one gets incapacitated, what keeps her from draining your savings and moving back to the Philippines to start a new life? Then again if this is a far-fetched scenario not worth considering, then no need to continue with this thread?

Or I could go to Philippines and get married if needed, Would be another good thing for not doing a ROM now.

I was under the impression if you do a marriage visa like a CR1 vs a K1 you don't have to disclose criminal history and if you have multiple petitions you don't have to do a waiver. So it could have some benefits for a US Citizen as wel.

2 hours ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

Or I could go to Philippines and get married if needed, Would be another good thing for not doing a ROM now.

I was under the impression if you do a marriage visa like a CR1 vs a K1 you don't have to disclose criminal history and if you have multiple petitions you don't have to do a waiver. So it could have some benefits for a US Citizen as wel.

For someone with "zero plans to live or retire in the Philippines", looks like you are making plans already?

For CR1 and K1 paths, you do have to disclose criminal history at some point like on the I-485. And if your intent is to  have multiple petitions, USCIS will find them. Sounds like you are advocating illegal means which are not recommended on Visajourney?

I see no benefits to the US citizen for not having an ROM if your intent is a bona fide marriage. If your intent is not a bona fide marriage, then you might find more loopholes having an undocumented cross the Mexican border and seek asylum?

55 minutes ago, EatBulaga said:

For someone with "zero plans to live or retire in the Philippines", looks like you are making plans already?

For CR1 and K1 paths, you do have to disclose criminal history at some point like on the I-485. And if your intent is to  have multiple petitions, USCIS will find them. Sounds like you are advocating illegal means which are not recommended on Visajourney?

I see no benefits to the US citizen for not having an ROM if your intent is a bona fide marriage. If your intent is not a bona fide marriage, then you might find more loopholes having an undocumented cross the Mexican border and seek asylum?

I tried to live in Philippines after a few months I can't wait to leave the Philippines, I get too bored there after a while, so been there done that.

You must not understand the K1 visa application, once you have multiply filings you have to get a waiver when you file a K1 ,this isnt' done on a CR1 to my knowledge, and of course USCIS knows how many times you have filed but they really care nor does the Consular Officers at the Embassy in Manila when you do your visa interview.

Per guidelines on thus website there is no I-485 filing for CR1, it says I-130 and I-130A, I guess you are unaware on K1 petition they ask about your criminal past.

There are many benefits for the US citizen to not file ROM, If you look on your other post you will learn.

The K1 is a very simple process, and I would assume the CR1 is as well,  only reason I am going to Mexico is to be in Cancun.

40 minutes ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

I tried to live in Philippines after a few months I can't wait to leave the Philippines, I get too bored there after a while, so been there done that.

You must not understand the K1 visa application, once you have multiply filings you have to get a waiver when you file a K1 ,this isnt' done on a CR1 to my knowledge, and of course USCIS knows how many times you have filed but they really care nor does the Consular Officers at the Embassy in Manila when you do your visa interview.

Per guidelines on thus website there is no I-485 filing for CR1, it says I-130 and I-130A, I guess you are unaware on K1 petition they ask about your criminal past.

There are many benefits for the US citizen to not file ROM, If you look on your other post you will learn.

The K1 is a very simple process, and I would assume the CR1 is as well,  only reason I am going to Mexico is to be in Cancun.

Well you seem to contradict yourself about living in the Philippines to remarry for the sake of contradicting yourself. Can't help you with that.

Yes, CR1 also has to removal conditions for the green card so background check for criminal history do matter despite you saying you don't have to disclose criminal history.

4 hours ago, DELTAFOXTROT said:

For K1, criminal history does matter in the I-129F and in the I-485. So in both cases, criminal history do matter regardless if you disclose to USCIS or not. So both are contrary to what you said if your intent is to hide the criminal history.

And I don't even know what you are talking about no waiver for multiple petitions. USCIS will find out either way.

I have no problem with either the pros or cons of the ROM. But you contradicting yourself or saying false statements about criminal history just confuses the issue if not yourself as your posts show.

The whole issue does not apply much to a foreign spouse.  It is the Filipino Citizen that is required by the Philippine Government to report an overseas marriage.  What the foreign spouse does is not much concern to the Philippine government and they have no jurisdiction over a foreign spouse outside the Philippines.

My own opinion is this.  If the neither of you have plans for maintaining significant ties to the Philippines then it probably makes little difference.  If you feel that your marriage is likely to end in divorce then it is very beneficial to the Filipino Citizen spouse NOT to file it.  If either of you ever think of retiring there, having a bank account there, drivers licence, business, property, etc etc etc, it will be an issue that could constantly come up at every dealing with the Philippine Government and it is probably easier just to file it.  Plus, juggling multiple names on multiple travel documents is doable but kind of a hassle.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

22 hours ago, top_secret said:

The whole issue does not apply much to a foreign spouse.  It is the Filipino Citizen that is required by the Philippine Government to report an overseas marriage.  What the foreign spouse does is not much concern to the Philippine government and they have no jurisdiction over a foreign spouse outside the Philippines.

My own opinion is this.  If the neither of you have plans for maintaining significant ties to the Philippines then it probably makes little difference.  If you feel that your marriage is likely to end in divorce then it is very beneficial to the Filipino Citizen spouse NOT to file it.  If either of you ever think of retiring there, having a bank account there, drivers licence, business, property, etc etc etc, it will be an issue that could constantly come up at every dealing with the Philippine Government and it is probably easier just to file it.  Plus, juggling multiple names on multiple travel documents is doable but kind of a hassle.

It not required by the Philippines Government, I think they just want the money to me, seems like just a money grab like making their citizens pay a exit fee to leave the country.

I  don't plan or retiring or having a business, and I got a Driver License already for Philippines. My wife just carries both passport when she enters Philippines, I am not sure which one they use, I was already in Philippines when she came to Philippines last trip.  I usually travel solo to Philippines.

We do make a trip together in June and I will use the balikbayan entry so I won't have to mess with getting visa extensions

23 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

Well you seem to contradict yourself about living in the Philippines to remarry for the sake of contradicting yourself. Can't help you with that.

Yes, CR1 also has to removal conditions for the green card so background check for criminal history do matter despite you saying you don't have to disclose criminal history.

For K1, criminal history does matter in the I-129F and in the I-485. So in both cases, criminal history do matter regardless if you disclose to USCIS or not. So both are contrary to what you said if your intent is to hide the criminal history.

And I don't even know what you are talking about no waiver for multiple petitions. USCIS will find out either way.

I have no problem with either the pros or cons of the ROM. But you contradicting yourself or saying false statements about criminal history just confuses the issue if not yourself as your posts show.

You made some comment about USCIS will find out if you have have filed a previous petition.

Here is your exact comment  "And if your intent is to  have multiple petitions, USCIS will find them."

USCIS don't care if you have mulitiple petitions, and US EMbassy in Manila Consular officers don't care if you had more than one or two K1 visa.  They are only concerned about your current petition.

My point was a K1 you have to file a waiver for multiple petitions, a CR1 you don't have to file a waiver for multiply petitions. 

You can file as many petitions as you can afford, there is no limt.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.