qwertyqwertyqwert

Relationship is very strained, don't know what to do

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, antalia said:

Come to think of it, the reason we can't work from home in a studio was that we both ideally are on phone calls throughout the day.

Hopefully he's not working illegally before getting work authorization.  Sounds like the AOS interview may be a difficult one if you get that far in the process and don't get a divorce.  Are you the sole financial sponsor, or do you have a joint sponsor?  If you have a joint sponsor, they are obligated to help you financially.  From the sounds of it, your income alone is not enough.  This post and thread is another very good example why a spousal visa is a so much better path.  I can't imagine what my husband would have done if we had chosen the K-1 route, not being able to work or drive for so many months.  I hope you can figure out how to best navigate your challenges, and move forward in a positive way, whatever you choose to do. 

6 hours ago, antalia said:

So, today he says his health issue with itchy moles is flaring up again, that he's been on pain management (thc and nicotine) for a long time barely coping, and that I'm so blatantly oblivious to all that and care about my emotions only. When we don't fight, he doesn't look to be in pain, or speak about it, and the last time he brought it up I got really scared and said nothing will happen until we go check this, no matter how much it costs out of pocket. And he then said it's ok for now and let's focus on the docs and other more urgent things. My mistake was to let this go like this.

We talked today, and I heard that I initially presented myself as an expert on local customs, basically lured him in here saying that I'll help, while I needed help myself. The last straw was my "no" to "will you talk respectfully", and then also the way I ignore him being in strong physical pain these following days. I know, it's hard to believe we've known each other for years with this level of miscommunication, but we didn't get there in a day. Finally, he stated I'm not really interested in anything except my ego. So, I don't know what happens next. He has little savings left, and when I give him cash or cards he just refuses it. 

We went groceries shopping today, agreeing on the store, and midway through he said "oh it's the store where my card doesn't work", so he dropped the cart, said he's good, and when I offered to go to another store he said the card won't work there either, let's go home. His card does work in other stores, and he has cash, and we are married and we took turns paying, when he asked to do so, even though my card's clearly a safer choice because it's local... yeah. Now he went to sleep on the floor by the bed, fully clothed just laid down and that's that.

As for SSN, he insists that it would have been valid until visa expired only, and thus mostly useless to obtain before getting i-485 approved. However it would still let us get started on things like joint account, state ID, DL, if I am not mistaken?

Thank you everyone for your input, you guys helped me to get through this day.

He is incorrect. Either he is intentionally lying, delusional, or completely ignorant. An SSN doesn't expire. It is his for life. He just cannot use the number to work until authorized (the authorization is the EAD or the green card). The SSN must be updated several times during the immigration process, but the number never changes or expires. I don't normally suggest going into the SSN and asking them questions as the employees aren't always helpful, but if he suggested that to one they'd laugh him out of the building. All of this doesn't matter. Because you have waited too late to obtain the SSN from the beginning, it now cannot be obtained until the EAD arrives.

About jobs, I must stress to please don't think for one second that as soon as you have an EAD jobs will be so easy to obtain. From experience, my husband was extremely qualified in the IT field and even with that EAD no one wanted him. The problem to me is not only the market itself but that employers and some HR don't understand what an EAD is. They wanted to see a green card. The EAD only helped him with documentation for his DL not jobs. Experiences will vary of course. Once my husband had a green card he was hired nearly immediately, but by that time we were quite desperate. That did not mean he took a high qualifying job either. It was a part time, without benefits position, in low end IT work. Good people there saw the potential and qualifications and realized he did not belong in that role. I can only imagine what will happen when your spouse realizes not being able to achieve a job he believes he deserves or is forced to take a menial one.

Are there mental health issues going on here? Strange statements and laying on the floor seem odd to me.

What are you aware about the I864 obligations, in light of the potential breakdown of this relationship?

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. I'm sure you're already familiar with this, but keep in mind that Russian culture is very patriarchal. There is a strong social expectation that the man should be the breadwinner and provider in a relationship, much more so than in American culture. I'm sure being unable to fulfill that role and being financially reliant on you, even temporarily, is deeply emasculating to him, which, along with the stress of relocating to a foreign country and adjusting to a new way of life, is probably taking a toll on his mental health.

At the same time, from your description, he's responding to that stress in an unacceptable way. Don't think about it as a response to your own inadequacies; nobody is perfect, thinking about what you could have done differently will only cause you more anguish, and nobody deserves to be berated by their partner like that. I won't presume to tell you what decisions you should make about your relationship, though I think it's perfectly understandable if/that you're having second thoughts due to this kind of treatment. You deserve better than that, just because you are you. 

I echo what others have said in that you two need to work on your communication. Try to communicate from a place of self: it's not so much about what your partner is doing or saying, it's about how you feel. It's not, "you have unreasonable expectations," (though I don't disagree with that statement, based on what you've shared), it's "when you criticize me, it makes me feel like you don't see and appreciate my efforts and it makes me feel inadequate." "When you say/do X, it makes me feel Y because Z" is a great formula to follow. 

Some practical advice:
- It sounds like you are both operating under some misconceptions about SSNs. I would sit down, together, and do some research, plot out what the rest of the journey is going to look like, and make a to-do list for the big immigration / documentation milestones. 

- California must have a decent-sized Russian community, have you or your husband thought about getting in touch with someone? That would certainly help with the social isolation at least, and might make things logistically easier if you can make some good connections.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
12 hours ago, antalia said:

Yeah, I guess I want him to change his attitude somehow:) We were really looking forward for him to get EAD, as he'd get hired much easier than me with the background he's got, and his starter salary will be at least twice what is my average -- he's CTO level and I'm a junior project manager. However, we would still require two incomes for it to make sense in the current climate, so I was also working on studying for a job transition, QA online courses. This is another point of conflict, because I honestly don't put in as much effort in it as I should be putting. It's not something I am generally excited about, so I spend a ton of energy in that general direction, feeling guilty when not studying and feeling hopeless when I do, and so on. 

Someone asked about i-864, I sponsor it, with the job I have working for my family as a project assistant. It is just a means to an end, as I wasn't able to land a job in my field in time with the deadlines. We agreed that he'll get a job as soon as he'll get that authorization, that I will work on my studies, and he even stated multiple times that he's ok with being a sole provider (which is something I wouldn't do, as I do want to work, for social and financial reasons.) Now, I have a lot of free time on my hands which I should be spending either working or studying, which I don't. He sacrifices sleep preparing for the tech interview questions. Obviously another resentment builder, even though I do my best putting all effort that way when we are not fighting.

I would not recommend transferring careers into something you do not enjoy doing.  This will only aggravate you more. Find something you are passionate about. It seems that you have the perfect setup, able to live with your family, but pride is getting in the way.  I know when my husband and I arrive, we will not have the luxury to live with family long-term.  It will be more of a short time, waiting for an apartment or house to be approved and lights turned on. I suggest you enjoy this freedom for now, and he needs to stop worrying about the kitchen.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
8 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

"Get on the phone with your Congressman's immigration liaison and concisely explain the need to expedite EAD." like this is thing. If he has a job offer he can try with that, but oh i have marital problems expedite the EAD is not a thing.

I have to agree, I was a little shocked reading this too. It is not going to resolve any issues.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
9 hours ago, KMG said:

I have to agree, I was a little shocked reading this too. It is not going to resolve any issues.

It's one part of taking action instead of the litany of "can't, don't, won't."

No one can say which specific elements of "taking action" will help or not -- being proactive, instead of wallowing in inaction, is what's important.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.