Elavod

DCF Advice on I-864 Filing as a U.S. Citizen Living Abroad with Unfiled U.S. Taxes (Merged Threads)

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Similar threads merged.  Please keep your questions in this thread***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• Crazy Cat changed the title to DCF Advice on I-864 Filing as a U.S. Citizen Living Abroad with Unfiled U.S. Taxes (Merged Threads)
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mongolia
Timeline
41 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

1.  Without filing the 3 most recent tax year returns (if income was over the threshold), you will not qualify as a petitioner. 

2.  Foreign income, if not continuing after re-location to the US, is not qualifying income. 

Thanks for your message!
1. I am working on those filings... Could you elaborate on what you mention about the "income threshold"?
2. In the I-864, under "Part 6. Sponsor's Employment and Income. I am currently...", should I enter the information of my future job/employer? My new job in US starts on February 3rd. At this point, I have an offer letter stating the position, salary, and start date.

Edited by elavod

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As mentioned you will need a Joint Sponsor, you can not use a future job.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Thanks for your message. I see... I will look into getting a Joint Sponsor.

Do you recommend I still file tax returns for the last three years, since I am still the primary sponsor?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
28 minutes ago, elavod said:

Do you recommend I still file tax returns for the last three years, since I am still the primary sponsor?

It is a requirement.  Otherwise, you do not qualify as the primary sponsor.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
7 hours ago, Boiler said:

That's correct.  The new job works only on a transfer with the same employer.  This can also end up being the reason the DCF request is denied, but worth a try.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

That's correct.  The new job works only on a transfer with the same employer.  This can also end up being the reason the DCF request is denied, but worth a try.

This is very disconcerting... why would this be a reason for denial?

This is the website linked from Frankfurt Consulate's "exceptional circumstances" page:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-b-chapter-3

Quoting from "Examples of exceptional circumstances include":

• Short notice of position relocation – A U.S. citizen petitioner, living and working abroad, has received a job offer in or reassignment to the United States with little notice for the required start date.

In my view, this includes a job offer from a new employer as long as the job offer is for a position in the United States and the notice given to relocate is short.

But please, let me know your thoughts.
Thanks for your message!

Timeline
1 hour ago, elavod said:

This is the website linked from Frankfurt Consulate's "exceptional circumstances" page:

In my view, this includes a job offer from a new employer as long as the job offer is for a position in the United States and the notice given to relocate is short.

Thanks for your message!

Can and will are different words, with different meanings.  I said "can".

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 hours ago, elavod said:

Thanks for your message!

If you look at the list of exceptional circumstances, there is a disclaimer that the list is not all encompassing.  Keep on your current path of DCF, some consulates are much more accommodating than others.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

Hi everyone, I need some advice on filling out Form I-864.

Here’s a quick update on my situation:

- I sent a “DCF request” email to the consulate and am awaiting their response.
- I’m filing back taxes for 2021, 2022, and 2023 under the Streamlined Foreign Offshore Procedures.
- I’m considering asking my parents to file I-864s as Joint Sponsors with me.

Now, I’m filling out Part 6 of Form I-864 regarding my employment and income, and I’m unsure what to enter.

My current situation:

1. I live and work in Germany.
2. I’m employed on a fixed-term contract until mid-2026.
3. My adjusted gross income for 2024 is expected to be $84k (I don’t need to apply for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion because the Foreign Tax Credit fully offsets my U.S. tax liability).

My future situation:

4. I plan to terminate my employment in Germany in February 2025.
5. I plan to start a new job in the U.S. in February 2025.

Given this, how should I complete Part 6 of Form I-864?

For example, since Item 7 asks for “My current individual annual income,” it seems that entering anything other than the $84k I expect for 2024 might be incorrect.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Timeline

I have another question, in addition to the previous one:

As part of the I-130 process, I need to provide "evidence of a bona fide marital relationship with the beneficiary."

My plan is to put together a dossier that includes some official documents in German, such as proof of residency at the same address and boarding passes.

Do all of these documents need to be translated into English? It feels a bit unnecessary to translate something like an airline boarding pass.

Thanks in advance for your help! I truly appreciate the support from this community during such a stressful time!

Timeline
10 hours ago, elavod said:

I have another question, in addition to the previous one:

As part of the I-130 process, I need to provide "evidence of a bona fide marital relationship with the beneficiary."

My plan is to put together a dossier that includes some official documents in German, such as proof of residency at the same address and boarding passes.

Do all of these documents need to be translated into English? It feels a bit unnecessary to translate something like an airline boarding pass.

Thanks in advance for your help! I truly appreciate the support from this community during such a stressful time!

Now that your request has been granted, the need for translated documents changes a bit as you are dealing with the Consulate instead of USCIS in the USA. Still I would stay away from things needing translation and concentrate on evidence of time spent together in person.  You live in Germany together.  Stick with that evidence.  Boarding passes would not need to be translated.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
11 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Now that your request has been granted, the need for translated documents changes a bit as you are dealing with the Consulate instead of USCIS in the USA. Still I would stay away from things needing translation and concentrate on evidence of time spent together in person.  You live in Germany together.  Stick with that evidence.  Boarding passes would not need to be translated.

Hello, @pushbrk, thank you so much for your response— it really helped clarify things!

I hope you don’t mind if I ask for your advice on how to fill out Part 6, Item 7 of the I-864.

I understand that my foreign income will be disregarded since it’s not expected to continue, and my future US income (stated in my job offer letter) should also be ignored. However, could you confirm that the best course of action is to enter $0 in this field? Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.