Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,355 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Sisa24 said:

Heartbreaking indeed. Others who have been under AP with ds5535 were able to visit their spouses back & forth with no issues; provided they show proof that they’re coming back (letter from work, return ticket, lease agreement etc). I wonder why your case was treated differently. What kind of details were you asked if you don’t mind sharing?

I showed all proofs (lease, work, return ticket, etc.). The officer was convinced of my intentions, but they consulted with the department of state and they told them that I am currently under background checking. 
He asked me a lot of questions, almost about every detail of my life since I was born.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, frhm said:

I showed all proofs (lease, work, return ticket, etc.). The officer was convinced of my intentions, but they consulted with the department of state and they told them that I am currently under background checking. 
He asked me a lot of questions, almost about every detail of my life since I was born.

Did you tell them about your pending case upfront or did he know about it and asked you first?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, frhm said:

Were you traveling on Canadian passport or on B1/B2 visa stamped by Toronto consulate?

Edited by Leo The Great

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, cala2023 said:

Did you tell them about your pending case upfront or did he know about it and asked you first?

No I didn’t, I only answered their questions.

18 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

Were you traveling on Canadian passport or on B1/B2 visa stamped by Toronto consulate?

B1/B2 visa that I have since 2021 I got it from saudi arabia. I have traveled multiple times to the US using it. This is the first time I have such issue due to the fact that I’m in backgroud checking.

Edited by frhm

Timeline
15 hours ago, CL23 said:

Hi all.. my husband received form DS-5535 and 221g after my two very young children got issued theirs in February 2024. We are still waiting without a single update to our case since March 8th(seems like these were the initial updates when they receive it). This whole process has been a rollercoaster and a half!! I have until July to cross with my children :(
our timeline:

IR1 category 

started this process June 2022 

DQ’d September 2023

interview Feb 2024 

Hi there,

I am in the same boat. My kids got visa in Jan 2024. I am waiting for mine. My file has been updated 7 times. Last one on April 9th. Since then no update.

My kids visa expires in June 15th.

My medical and passport will expire soon. 

I guess...waiting is the only option we have.

Timeline
1 hour ago, JanMontrealDS5535 said:

Hi there,

I am in the same boat. My kids got visa in Jan 2024. I am waiting for mine. My file has been updated 7 times. Last one on April 9th. Since then no update.

Isn’t there a new rule out that medical appts after November 2023 don’t expire? I could have sworn my lawyer sent us that! 
I am so sorry you’re in the same boat. This process needs to be expedited immensely. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Cholte cholte said:

CL23...we had 3 updates within the first week...and no updates since then...it is really frustrating.. 

ah okay, so very similar to us then! I don’t know whether to obsessively check every day or leave it alone and just wait 🤣 LOL 

1 hour ago, CL23 said:

Isn’t there a new rule out that medical appts after November 2023 don’t expire? I could have sworn my lawyer sent us that! 
I am so sorry you’re in the same boat. This process needs to be expedited immensely. 

Not for this type of visa. It was discussed before here & someone confirmed that this rule doesnt apply to CR1/IR1

2 hours ago, JanMontrealDS5535 said:

Hi there,

Your kids need to activate visa before it expiry. I guess you already know it. 

1 hour ago, CL23 said:

ah okay, so very similar to us then! I don’t know whether to obsessively check every day or leave it alone and just wait 🤣 LOL 

Generally you get few updates after submitting DS-5535 as consulate might be working on your form to send it to DC. Once done, you should not see any updates unless consulate reply to your query or DC pick up your case for processing and at that time you may see more update.  May be check weekly until you get some unsolicited updates. At that time you can choose to check it daily.

Flagging this again. Please make your voice heard. The more we make noise the more likely this is to get attention and move.

Most immigration applications have been shortening timelines, so it seems like the administration wants to shorten timelines, they probably just don't know this is a problem.
Plz help send a comment to the administration per below.

@Leo The Great @Sisa24 @CL23 @JanMontrealDS5535 @cala2023 @frhm @julia_29387 @Halioak @Gha @tas005 @yvesemma @ak47 @Phil_K_IR1

---

DOS seems to have opened an inquiry on DS 5535 in the last few weeks. I think this is a good sign.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2024/04/29/2024-09082/30-day-notice-of-proposed-information-collection-supplemental-questions-for-visa-applicants#:~:text=The DS-5535 solicits additional biographic information that,providing a copy of the questions electronically

I am positive if enough of us complain about the process they may staff up more people or change the process altogether. Please state your case and how unreasonable the process is.

From what I understand, to submit comments you need to follow these steps:

1. Go here: https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/PRAMain _> 

2. Use the Find functionality of your browser and look for entry "Supplemental Questions for Visa Applicants" or OMB Control Number: "1405-0226".

3. Click "Comment" next to the entry you found.
4. Submit the comment. Make sure to cite specifically Montreal and DS 5535 and long timelines.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.