Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,104 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Gha said:

Hi

@Canucklehead what’s your last case update .in spread sheet it’s shows 16 November.but I think you had to date changed in February 

thank you 

Hey there, nope it's still November 16, 2023 unfortunately. I have emailed them 3 times since that update and haven't received any emails back whatsoever.

For context, my last update (Nov 16) corresponded to the last time I received a generic email response, so I'm not confident in the slightest they've even looked at my file in the last 3 months.

Edited by Canucklehead

On 2/5/2024 at 10:57 AM, Daft_Cat said:

I understand the stress and feeling of urgency, but your WOM is premature. The state department will file a motion to dismiss and you won't be in a great position to fight the dismissal given your very recent interview date. I would get a second opinion and consider pulling your lawsuit so that you can refile at a later date.

I know it's hard to hear, but it's probably a good idea to make peace with the fact that you're in for an extended wait. Keep in mind that there are people in this very thread that have been waiting a year now (myself included), and that the AP backlog has grown to ~66k, with only ~35 employees dedicated to processing cases. The situation could improve, but that's roughly where it stands today.

I don't know what internal process the consulate has in place for prioritizing applicants, but I would have to assume (and hope) that there's at least some semblance of first in, first out. 

Hello everyone my interview was Feb/16/2024 after interview officer gave me my passport back nd gave me ds5535 with qr code he said these are just supplement questions just answer these questions after answering all questions send us your passport I asked him how to send he gave another paper with instructions.I scanned qr code in my phone nd answered those questions it didn’t ask for my emails or social media.I took screenshots while filling.After submitting it appeared on screen your response has been successfully recorded.My PROBLEM now is I found out in my passport number i put one alphabet wrong how do I correct it or contact them providing correct number and I haven’t received any confirmation or anything after submitting the form.

35 minutes ago, Bhandal said:

Hello everyone my interview was Feb/16/2024 after interview officer gave me my passport back nd gave me ds5535 with qr code he said these are just supplement questions just answer these questions after answering all questions send us your passport I asked him how to send he gave another paper with instructions.I scanned qr code in my phone nd answered those questions it didn’t ask for my emails or social media.I took screenshots while filling.After submitting it appeared on screen your response has been successfully recorded.My PROBLEM now is I found out in my passport number i put one alphabet wrong how do I correct it or contact them providing correct number and I haven’t received any confirmation or anything after submitting the form.

E-mail the consulate at Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov with the correct number. Make sure to include your case number in the subject line.

Shouldn’t be a big deal but I’d keep pestering until they confirm the revision.

13 minutes ago, Daft_Cat said:

E-mail the consulate at Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov with the correct number. Make sure to include your case number in the subject line.

Shouldn’t be a big deal but I’d keep pestering until they confirm the revision.

One more quick question while filling ds5535 they ask for DS-260 barcode number but it has two barcodes one has case number underneath nd other has confirmation number which one is to write in that case

16 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

These random case updates that lead to potentially nothing make no sense.

Like what are they even doing? Hoping it's good things for you! 

It’s basically them opening your case for whatever reason. To update a clearance, to respond to an email, etc. Generally, semi-frequent case updates are a sign that they’re actively working on your case. The typical applicant journey is a handful of updates right after DS-5535 submission followed by months of radio silence (unless you send them an email) followed by another flurry of updates right before your case is approved.

Edited by Daft_Cat

36 minutes ago, Bhandal said:

One more quick question while filling ds5535 they ask for DS-260 barcode number but it has two barcodes one has case number underneath nd other has confirmation number which one is to write in that case

Confirmation number (7.DS-160/DS-260 Barcode Number)

Edited by Leo The Great

44 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

Confirmation number (7.DS-160/DS-260 Barcode Number)

I got an update on my case date today. Till this afternoon there’s nothing but I just check now, the case last date updated. I Sent an email to the consulate on Feb 7th. I think it might be due to that…but I didn’t receive a generic email from the consulate regarding my case status. Weird🫣

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ahmad0606 said:

I got an update on my case date today. Till this afternoon there’s nothing but I just check now, the case last date updated. I Sent an email to the consulate on Feb 7th. I think it might be due to that…but I didn’t receive a generic email from the consulate regarding my case status. Weird🫣

I sent an email to the consulate on January 30 and never received a response back. Its been over two weeks. I don’t know if thats a good thing or bad thing. I did send an email in early December and they did end up responding to that within 10 days. Havent had a case update since December 18. Interview was Nov 28, 2023. 

14 hours ago, tdot2nj said:

I sent an email to the consulate on January 30 and never received a response back. Its been over two weeks. I don’t know if thats a good thing or bad thing. I did send an email in early December and they did end up responding to that within 10 days. Havent had a case update since December 18. Interview was Nov 28, 2023. 

I've only sent a handful of emails over the past year, but I'd say their response rate is about 50%. If I recall correctly, emails that went unanswered didn't trigger a case update.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Daft_Cat said:

I've only sent a handful of emails over the past year, but I'd say their response rate is about 50%. If I recall correctly, emails that went unanswered didn't trigger a case update.

I’ve sent an email to the Montreal US Consulate only once requesting a status update, just recently to canada.visas@gdit-gss.com.  I received reply below.  Am I not using the proper email address for inquiry, or is this the generic reply everyone receives?  Can anyone reply with the proper email address for the MTL Consulate for visa case status requests?  Thanks IMG_3293.thumb.jpeg.d2a1eb528d54117f711f940f73ce8030.jpeg

4 minutes ago, CarmenD said:

I’ve sent an email to the Montreal US Consulate only once requesting a status update, just recently to canada.visas@gdit-gss.com.  I received reply below.  Am I not using the proper email address for inquiry, or is this the generic reply everyone receives?  Can anyone reply with the proper email address for the MTL Consulate for visa case status requests?  Thanks 

Wrong address. I believe that's an admin address for appointment scheduling. Email the consulate directly at Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov. Make sure to include your case number in the subject line. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.