Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,497 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, sundim said:

General question for those of you still here who have cleared, gotten the visa and crossed the border:

Anything notable about the port of entry?  Does CBP ask for anything other than visa + passport?  I'm aware that I should be ready with the immigrant fee paid.  Other than that, all my worldly belongings, important documents etc.  But asking specifically for anything CBP might want.  Feel free to share your experience too, if you want.

I'm currently waiting for my visa stamp.  My passport arrived at the Montreal consulate today.  My medical exam expires on November 8th so I want to make sure I'm ready to leave last minute just in case it arrives before I have to re-do medical (I realize they're slow but I still have hope).  I have time now to prepare, which I might not have when I have the visa in hand.  Thanks in advance!

Hey guys . I will gladly answer this one as I finally crossed the border 9 days ago and I am officially a permanent resident . YAY ! so there is a light at the end of the tunnel . In my particular case , I had read and researched to be at the port of entry 1-2 hours prior to what you would normally get there to ensure you sign and complete documents. but on my end it was smooth and quick  . Personally they have asked me way more questions when I was visiting than when I actually moved. I left from YUL airport ( I was suggested to cross by Champlain since "CBP is normally less strict by car" , but I have no comment to validate or deny those claims ) , I had a very early flight at 6:00AM . I got to the airport at 3, customs did not open until 4:30 (I was really nervous about maybe missing the flight , if it took too long in customs ). I got to the officer's kiosk , he asked me where I was going . I handed my passport in the visa page and said I was moving today , she looked at it and took me to the back (secondary inspection). At that point I was a bit nervous because I did not know how long it would take , she handed my passport to another officer . After maybe 5-10 minutes , the other officer called me up , to validate my address and phone number in the US and was about my way. The whole thing took probably 15 minutes at most , I was expecting to spend hours there. I must say though , I probably had the earliest flight that morning and was probably the first immigrant immigrating , which is why my turnaround was probably as fast. But honestly , I was not asked a single question other than to validate my US ADRESS and US phone number. I was also expecting to fill out a form with all of my assets that I can move to the US with whiteout tax implications , even that they did not ask (not sure if they were supposed to) . Either or , it was a quick and easy process. Much quicker than I anticipated. 

Hello everyone,

In 2023, I had an interview for the lottery, during which the officer requested that I submit DS-5535. After the administrative processing was completed, I was asked to send my passport. However, two days later, the visa cap was reached, and my passport was returned without a visa.

I had another interview on May 31, 2024, for my EB2-NIW case. The officer again requested DS-5535 and placed my case in administrative processing. He mentioned that he would flag my application since I had previously undergone administrative processing and would expedite my case. As of now, I have not received any updates.

What steps can I take to address this situation?

Timeline
9 hours ago, apsincejune23 said:

Interesting, I emailed AIS and they said I shouldn’t expect any status change or a tracking number until they mail my passport back. It’s inconsistent with your page though 😕  Now I’m just hoping it’s not lost, that would really be the cherry on top of this whole thing lol

I think everyone's AIS website might look different. Please note that what you saw in my screenshot is documents I sent TO the consulate after they requested them. When I requested a courier-in authorization certificate my 3 pages included a QR code that the post office scanned to allow them to print the return slip. Yours might be different because your instructions might have been different.  Again, it's important you follow the instructions provided to YOU by the consulate.

I am still waiting for CEAC to update my case status to ISSUED. After that happens I will expect a tracking number sent to me via the AIS site or by email. 

For detailed information on document delivery, I suggest to review the FAQ on the AIS site: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/information/faqs

Timeline

Adding our last few case status updates for others who may be in the same position. 

Aug 8, 2024 - Passport requested.

Oct 8. Medical exam and passport photos requested separately from passport.

Oct 10. Medical was completed.

Oct 17. Passport photos delivered (did not get a case status update for this between when it was delivered and next update)

Oct 22. Email received from Drs Office that the medical exam was submitted and confirmation will be sent out next day. 

Oct 23. Case Status Updated (confirming consulate received the medical)

Oct 25. Another case status update (2 updates in one week 🙏)

8 minutes ago, DS5535TXCAN said:

Adding our last few case status updates for others who may be in the same position. 

Aug 8, 2024 - Passport requested.

Oct 8. Medical exam and passport photos requested separately from passport.

Oct 10. Medical was completed.

Oct 17. Passport photos delivered (did not get a case status update for this between when it was delivered and next update)

Oct 22. Email received from Drs Office that the medical exam was submitted and confirmation will be sent out next day. 

Oct 23. Case Status Updated (confirming consulate received the medical)

Oct 25. Another case status update (2 updates in one week 🙏)

We got a case update today too, this is our 4th unsolicited update since sending the passport and medical! Hopefully we will all get processed soon, this wait is agonizing 😫

On 10/25/2024 at 2:13 PM, zero1331 said:

I have been using the status tracker, checking daily and just keeping track.  my question is,     does anyone know of a way to see all the updates in your case listed my date ?  the tracker only shows the most recent update, not all.  

I think you can only see the last update and not a list of updates. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.