Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,497 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, tdot2nj said:

Thank you!! 
My timeline is: 

Applied: February 2022

Case approved by USCIS: March 31, 2023

Interview: Nov 28, 2023

DS5535 sent: Nov 28, 2023

Unsolicited updates: August 8, 13, 15 2024

Medical and passport request: Sept 25, 2024

Passport delivered: Oct 2, 2024

Medical delivered: Oct 8, 2023

Status changed to issued: Oct 15, 2024

Did you get a case update when the medical was delivered or was the status change to issued the next update you got? The doctor confirmed our medical delivery on Friday and we got a case update today (but not Friday), but it still says refused. We are wondering if this is just them receiving the medical or if it means something more? 

Edited by DuBrun20

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, tdot2nj said:

Thank you!! 
My timeline is: 

Applied: February 2022

Case approved by USCIS: March 31, 2023

Interview: Nov 28, 2023

DS5535 sent: Nov 28, 2023

Unsolicited updates: August 8, 13, 15 2024

Medical and passport request: Sept 25, 2024

Passport delivered: Oct 2, 2024

Medical delivered: Oct 8, 2023

Status changed to issued: Oct 15, 2024

Congratulations!!!

Can you please confirm if this is  ccorrect address to send documents? 

955 1re Ave #usa

Saint Catherine, QC

J5C 1C5

Tracking says it is redirected to new address.

Timeline
2 hours ago, tas005 said:

Hi many Congratulations,

We tried to reach congressman, and we got response that they will contact USCIS on our behalf, I was like our case is at Montreal consulate why contacting USCIS, and tried to explain them, and now waiting for their reply,

I want to know, when we request congressman, they contact directly to Montreal consulate or  they contact USCIS first, though we tried to explain them clearly about the whole case which is currently in AP. anyways, if they contact through email to Montreal consulate do they send an email to the same email address (montreal-iv-dv@state.gov) where we send for inquiry or they have any other way of inquiring, I am asking because if representative of congressman is unaware of the process then we can share this email address with them. Its been like more than 12 days we submitted request if they can inquire on our behalf, and still they have not done it. Please guide. Thank you

Hello my congressmans office I was able to speak with via phone call. They have sent the email to the consulate and got responses the next business day. They have been directly emailing the US consulate in Montreal. 

Timeline
50 minutes ago, DuBrun20 said:

Did you get a case update when the medical was delivered or was the status change to issued the next update you got? The doctor confirmed our medical delivery on Friday and we got a case update today (but not Friday), but it still says refused. We are wondering if this is just them receiving the medical or if it means something more? 

So my medical was sent on a Friday but the medical submitted email from emedical was received by me on Tuesday morning. I received a case status update on Tuesday and then again on Thursday before the visa was issued the following Tuesday. Took a full week to received issued status after medical was received by consulate. 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, JanMontrealDS5535 said:

Congratulations!!!

955 1re Ave #usa

Saint Catherine, QC

J5C 1C5

I am not sure as I printed a return label via the portal. That return label already has the consulates address on it. Furthermore the Canada Post designated location I went to mails to the US consulate in Montreal so i didnt have to provide an address. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, tdot2nj said:

So my medical was sent on a Friday but the medical submitted email from emedical was received by me on Tuesday morning. I received a case status update on Tuesday and then again on Thursday before the visa was issued the following Tuesday. Took a full week to received issued status after medical was received by consulate. 

My medical was received on Oct 11, and

Status was updated on Oct 11 as well. 

After long waiting, I got the request from Montreal embassy for the second medical and passport on Oct. 2nd. I had my physical done on Oct. 8th and the doctor said that he would email  the embassy to re-activate my case on the same day. However, until today, per the doctor's office, the embassy still has not reactivated my case yet so that the medical report wont be able to be submitted. I haven't seen that anyone said they were waiting for the case reopen in this forum.  Does anyone know anything about the process?

Timeline
On 10/15/2024 at 12:29 PM, JanMontrealDS5535 said:

Congratulations!!!

955 1re Ave #usa

Saint Catherine, QC

J5C 1C5

I received an email with " Action required" from Yatri: US DOS Visa.

They have requested medical, passport and photos.

Shall I ignore the email as medical was sent a week ago and passport delivered today 🤔

Any thoughts? 

On 10/9/2024 at 8:09 PM, DS5535TXCAN said:

That happend to us. Received an email confirmation from congressmen, then were ghosted and when we finally got in touch the congresman sent it right away. The crazy part is the consulate provided two different responses the same day. The first response was to my US citizen spouse who had inquired two weeks prior and the second response was to the congressmen who inquired that same day. It seems that the consulate does not care to read our emails and just sends template responses based on previously sent emails. The reason I bring this up is because we inquired so many times on whether we needed to provide any other supporting documents such as the medical and photos, and they kept ignoring us. 

First response to my spouse was that the case is STILL pending consular review (its been 8 weeks since request of first document; passport). 

Second response was to the congressmen inquiry and that email indicated that AP is complete and they are now requesting ALL documents (passport, medical, and passport photos) mind you that they already have the passport. 

It seems congressmen inquiry really does push it forward, at least in our case, and I hope that you will receive your issued visa soon!

Question for anyone who's used the congressman contact route. My case is EB2-NIW. I don't have a sponsor in the US, nor a job, etc. How would I initiate such inquiry? I'm in Canada and don't reside in the US, nor do I have a "state" where I can find a congressman for.

Timeline
On 10/4/2024 at 5:46 PM, Ontarkie said:

I'm sorry but that is not how it works and you can see why this causes so much confusion for Canadians. It's not like a work visa, or student visa. With even a K-1 Visa which is a non immigrant visa they consider you no longer a resident on the day you cross and get that visa endorsed. 

When you cross the border to endorse the visa you are no longer a resident of Canada, because that is the date you tell the US you are now a US PR.

When you file your exit taxes you will mark the day the visa is endorsed. If you get baby bonus, whatever the GST is call now they all go by the date the visa is stamped. If you get any of those they will want their money back for that month and they will be the first to figure it out. 

The 212 days outside the US is for students and snowbirds, not someone who shows up at the border with a visa declaring that on this day you are a US PR. That is how they decide you are no longer a Canadian Resident. 

Over the years we have had many Canadians end up with a bill. I'm not making this up, it's experience and time on here that has proven otherwise. 

I provided a telephone number for Ontario Health in the reply.  Reach out to it for your own edification.    I worded my question very carefully to both representatives I spoke with to make it abundantly clear that my husband would be crossing the US border so we could search for/be shown/secure a home to move to, BUT that we needed to return to Canada to orchestrate both a UHaul and a moving company consolidated truck, followed by the permanent move.  I asked if the mere act of activating the US IV would invalidate OHIP coverage. I was told not, not until such time as the permanent move is complete.

Timeline

Crossed the border yesterday out of Toronto-Pearson to activate IV.  The BPO took fingerprint impressions and led us into secondary which turned out to be less than a half hour wait.

The date imprint stamp was placed on the page next to the IV foil page in the passport.  The Alien registration number and visa type were handwritten in. Were processed in secondary by a grumpy and not friendly officer. She didn’t even say “Welcome to America” to my husband 😂 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.