Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,355 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, MTLaffectee said:

Hey everyone, my wife picked up her passport today and set to cross the border on Sunday. You all have been accommodating with insights and personal anecdotes that helped us along the way. I have one last question for you all. My wife is currently pregnant and too pregnant for us to wait for a green card and social security and everything so we decided to have the baby delivered in Canada. 

So the plan is for a wife to cross the border to activate her visa by crossing the land border and returning to Canada. Based on my little research that will trigger the production of green card and social security number both of which will be delivered to our address in the US. Anyone has done this previously in this thread or know of someone who did it successfully?

Yes, We crossed the border and returned to Canada earlier this year because 2nd visa was in AP. The green card was delivered to the US address but SSN was not delivered beside we checked the option in the DS-260 form. So we had to go to SSN after 5 weeks(On next visit to US) to get it (SSN# was available from same office next day) and later physical card was delivered to US address

hello all! we received our passport request via congressional inquiry yesterday. Interview was June 17 2024 for K1 visa. 4 updates in September leading up to the passport request.

My fiance just has to send passport as his medical and police check is still valid.

I know it's a broad range, but I'm wondering what people have seen as far as timelines from passport request -> issued -> passport and visa in hand?

Thanks all for your insights in this process!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
16 hours ago, ak47 said:

Actually my family is in usa and already staying here over 6 months. If they delay sending passport in Canada then i am stuck in Canada for more than 2 to 3 months and family separation.

@Ontarkie

Also can i do Medicals in USA ?

As others have mentioned the medical cannot be done in the US. 

1 hour ago, MTLaffectee said:

Hey everyone, my wife picked up her passport today and set to cross the border on Sunday. You all have been accommodating with insights and personal anecdotes that helped us along the way. I have one last question for you all. My wife is currently pregnant and too pregnant for us to wait for a green card and social security and everything so we decided to have the baby delivered in Canada. 

So the plan is for a wife to cross the border to activate her visa by crossing the land border and returning to Canada. Based on my little research that will trigger the production of green card and social security number both of which will be delivered to our address in the US. Anyone has done this previously in this thread or know of someone who did it successfully?

Only one hic-up here. Once your wife endorses her visa she is no longer a resident of Canada and cannot use the Canadian health care system. Many on here will disagree because if you called the Health Canada all you are talking to is the call center. They will read the part like students and snowbirds retain their health care. But once it reaches the ppl who investigate these things you will get a hefty bill, it's not fast but they are cracking down in this stuff and inforcing it. Don't do it. If she is really close do not endorse the visa and wait until baby is born. Then you will also have to do CRBA to bring baby into the US.

You can add your wife on to your health care through your employer the minute she moves. Moving to be with a spouse is enough reason to add her on. They do not need her SSN, they might give you a hard time but they truly do not need it. Get her added asap. Plan on delivering in the US so get that ball rolling now.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

3 hours ago, CarmenD said:

Husband’s IV stamped Passport delivered yesterday.  Long journey from start of process in May 2021 filing I-130.  Just a few days over a year in AP/DS-5535.  This forum has provided a wealth of information in the short span of time I’ve participated.  This chapter is closed. Moving on to orchestrate the next (moving) phase.  Good luck to all 🤗 

Good luck 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 9/27/2024 at 12:14 AM, CarmenD said:

Not silly at all.  Log on to your CEAC account.  On the top left hand side look for this language 

“Summary Information

One or more Immigrant Visa (IV)

Application(s) (form DS-260) on your case have been reopened because updates are required. Please update the DS-260(s) as directed and re-submit the form(s). If you have any questions, please contact your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate General. Information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates can be found at https://www.usembassy.gov/

On the bottom right hand side you’ll see the words “Re-opened” in red letters

Thank you, I just tried logging in, after putting in case number it goes to the next page asking for invoice number from NVC (is that the one that starts with WAC?) I put the receipt number in that I was provided from NVC and submitted but it says it doesn’t match their records. I’m seriously starting to wonder if our case fell through a bureaucratic black hole. 

37 minutes ago, ken5535karma said:

Does anybody know what a re-oath appointment is?

The consulate just scheduled me in for one next week, after receiving my 2nd medical exam and passport. They also asked me to update my ds-260

I think they need to take oath on one of the questions/doubts they may have which is rare but happened in few cases. It happened to my wife’s case. Nothing serious since you cleared AP. 

Timeline

Hi everyone! 

I had my interview back in May 3rd and I was given the dreaded form and have been waiting since. I’ve had several updates since but I’m wondering if the frequency means anything or this is normal processing? it goes as follows:

• may 4 (unsolicited
  • may 10 (unsolicited)
  • may 28 (unsolicited)
  • august 28 (solicited)
  • september 5 (unsolicited) 
  • september 19 (unsolicited)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, mariagomez said:

Hi everyone! 

I had my interview back in May 3rd and I was given the dreaded form and have been waiting since. I’ve had several updates since but I’m wondering if the frequency means anything or this is normal processing? it goes as follows:

• may 4 (unsolicited
  • may 10 (unsolicited)
  • may 28 (unsolicited)
  • august 28 (solicited)
  • september 5 (unsolicited) 
  • september 19 (unsolicited)

I would ask your congressman to reach out as I didnt hear back after 3 unsolicated updates and when my congressman reached out they asked for my passport same day. Might be a situation where the file is awaiting consular officer review. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, tdot2nj said:

I would ask your congressman to reach out as I didnt hear back after 3 unsolicated updates and when my congressman reached out they asked for my passport same day. Might be a situation where the file is awaiting consular officer review. 

How do I find out which congressman to reach out to? I’m the foreign fiancée in this case, my fiancé is the American Citizen and I’m Canadian! He lives in Hawaii 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All. Happy to report I am in the US with the visa stamped.

I have gone through the conversation the last couple of weeks and tried to update the spreadsheet with whats been stated. I have received minimal DMs, so I am doing what I can. For those waiting and who are new, the trend is definitely improving:

Output image

This is a plot of wait time for document request vs interview date for the 33 people who have received a request in the logger (form 2023 onwards). I colored them by orange = IR/CR, blue = EB, and purple = K. There is a clear decrease in wait times. People in early 2023 were waiting 400-500 days for document request. People who interviewed early 2024 are waiting 200-300 days. Its still brutal but a needed trend.

Output image

There is a clear trend upwards as of this June on the number of people getting requests from MTL. Hopefully the trend stays high.

Now that this is past my wife and I, I expect I will be spending less time on this forum. I will likely unlock the tracker I've been maintaining and hand it over to the group, or give it to someone else who is interested in keeping it going. Please let me know.

Thanks and good luck everyone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.