Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,355 posts in this topic

Timeline
2 minutes ago, DS5535TXCAN said:

I think you might want to reassess your situation if you are already in the US. You SHOULD consult with a lawyer. This is especially the case if you, yourself have been in the US for more than 6 months (Canadians can only stay in the US for a max of 6 months or otherwise risk getting banned from entering the US. This could be 10 years or more). 

I already have a TN visa which i can travel on and stay more than 6 months

11 minutes ago, ak47 said:

but once i send passport to montreal embassy within Canada then i have to separated with family for a long time if they delay my passport.

As I said, you can travel by land with the enhanced driver's license. Mail it in, when your father receives it, drive back to pick it up and to enter on your visa.  
Now that you wrote that you have a TN visa, that might be useful to support your request to get a second passport.  If you are in the US, you might want to reach out to the consulate for your area.  

Edited by Lemonslice

3 minutes ago, ak47 said:

but once i send passport to montreal embassy within Canada then i have to separated with family for a long time if they delay my passport.

As I said, you can travel by land with the enhanced driver's license. Mail it in, when your father receives it, drive back to pick it up and to enter on your visa.  
Now that you wrote that you have a TN visa, that might support your request to get a second passport.  If you are in the US, you might want to reach out to the consulate for your area.  

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Now that you wrote that you have a TN visa, that might support your request to get a second passport.  If you are in the US, you might want to reach out to the consulate for your area.  

Do you mean second passport as in temporary passport ?

Also can i do medicals in usa ?

Then i can send my passport from usa and stay in usa till i hear back. And travelon enhanced license or second(temporary ?) passport.

Edited by ak47

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
20 minutes ago, ak47 said:

Do you mean second passport as in temporary passport ?

Also can i do medicals in usa ?

Then i can send my passport from usa and stay in usa till i hear back. And travelon enhanced license or second(temporary ?) passport.

@ak47 - not to be rude, however, the medical exam question has been answered by many people on this thread.

You need to complete your medical exam inside Canada by an approved panel doctor. There are limited number of approved doctors across canada. So you would need to complete this inside of Canada.    

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MTL-Montreal.html#med_exam_instructions  (clearly states:  Medical examination results from other physicians will not be accepted.)

Edited by DS5535TXCAN

Timeline
4 hours ago, DS5535TXCAN said:

Going on week 7 after delivery of passport to consulate.

It took exactly 7 weeks for us from passport delivery to upgraded Issued status.  Hang in there.  It’s coming!!!

Timeline
15 hours ago, ajxl888 said:

Hi All, 

For those who have received their visas and passports back and have made their way to the US: My visa stamp (I-551?) shows "IV Expires on January 22, 2025".  What is the process/protocol for extending or re-applying leading up to this expiration date?  Is this the expiration for just the stamp in the passport while I await my green card in the mail? 

Thanks!

You now have a Machine-Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) on your passport

Once you arrive in the US a CBP agent will see the MRIV, and will stamp your passport (again)

That stamp — sometimes called the Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications (ADIT) stamp will show:

Your status as a lawful permanent resident (LPR) — you’ll notice the temporary I-551 designation at the top of the stamp

Your date of admission (crossed the border)

The date of expiration for your temporary I-551

The MRIV, together with the ADIT stamp, will prove your LPR status for NO MORE THAN one (1) year following the date of entry

Employers should, therefore, accept the MRIV, with the ADIT stamp, as “List A” documents proving your identity and authorizing you to work

Once the date of expiration listed on the ADIT stamp is reached, you will need to provide the official I-551, otherwise known as your GC (good for either 2, or 10 years)

15 hours ago, ajxl888 said:

Hi All, 

For those who have received their visas and passports back and have made their way to the US: My visa stamp (I-551?) shows "IV Expires on January 22, 2025".  What is the process/protocol for extending or re-applying leading up to this expiration date?  Is this the expiration for just the stamp in the passport while I await my green card in the mail? 

Thanks!

You now have a Machine-Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) on your passport

Once you arrive in the US a CBP agent will see the MRIV, and will stamp your passport (again)

That stamp — sometimes called the Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications (ADIT) stamp will show:

Your status as a lawful permanent resident (LPR) — you’ll notice the temporary I-551 designation at the top of the stamp

Your date of admission (crossed the border)

The date of expiration for your temporary I-551

The MRIV, together with the ADIT stamp, will prove your LPR status for NO MORE THAN one (1) year following the date of entry

Employers should, therefore, accept the MRIV, with the ADIT stamp, as “List A” documents proving your identity and authorizing you to work

Once the date of expiration listed on the ADIT stamp is reached, you will need to provide the official I-551, otherwise known as your GC (good for either 2, or 10 years)

Timeline
On 10/1/2024 at 5:44 PM, Pending DS5535 said:

Hi, a general question, do we get a solicited update on the congressman's inquiry to the Montreal consulate? 

Yes.  Our case received an update all 3 times a Congressional Inquiry was received, and replied to

Timeline
6 hours ago, ak47 said:

Hi, 

Can I get my medicals done and travel back to USA and then send the passport from USA to Canada. Will Also US address for return mail.

Not sure if it is possible...

Not going to happen, my friend.  Not possible.  Forget about it

Timeline
5 hours ago, ak47 said:

My father lives i canada and he can receive it..

It seems you have all the answers, but again, not how it works.

If your case is pending at/under Consular processing in Canada, Medical must be done in Canada, passport for IV stamping sent to Consulate from within Canada, to be returned to you with IV foil sent to a Canadian address using the Canada Post tracking numbers, or (for delivery to you at home) the expedited service via Purolator.  

Edited by CarmenD
add word

Timeline
1 hour ago, CarmenD said:

It took exactly 7 weeks for us from passport delivery to upgraded Issued status.  Hang in there.  It’s coming!!!

CORRECTION;  7 weeks from

from Consulate passport request after AP clearance (that took a bit over a year) TO Issued status (no longer Refused)

Okay, so in case anyone has been following along. I received an email with the following language:

Good morning y'all, update in my case. Was requested for 2nd medical and passport in August, everything was received by consulate last week. For your info my interview was Sep 27 23

In order to continue processing your immigrant visa case, please provide the confirmation page of the updated Immigrant Visa Application form DS-260 available at the following link https://ceac.state.gov/iv.

We also have scheduled a re-oath appointment for you on [date masked] at the U.S. Consulate in Montreal.
Please bring a piece of ID and a copy of this email to your re-oath appointment.
For a list of prohibited items that will not be allowed into the Consular Section, you can visithttps://ca.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-procedures/.  Please make arrangements to leave prohibited items behind, as storage at the security checkpoint is limited.  

Regards,

OP13

Consular Correspondence Unit | Immigrant Visa

Informations consulaires | Visa d’immigrants

U.S. Consulate General

Montreal, Canada

Anyone ever experience this?

Timeline

Hey everyone, my wife picked up her passport today and set to cross the border on Sunday. You all have been accommodating with insights and personal anecdotes that helped us along the way. I have one last question for you all. My wife is currently pregnant and too pregnant for us to wait for a green card and social security and everything so we decided to have the baby delivered in Canada. 

So the plan is for a wife to cross the border to activate her visa by crossing the land border and returning to Canada. Based on my little research that will trigger the production of green card and social security number both of which will be delivered to our address in the US. Anyone has done this previously in this thread or know of someone who did it successfully?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, MTLaffectee said:

Hey everyone, my wife picked up her passport today and set to cross the border on Sunday. You all have been accommodating with insights and personal anecdotes that helped us along the way. I have one last question for you all. My wife is currently pregnant and too pregnant for us to wait for a green card and social security and everything so we decided to have the baby delivered in Canada. 

So the plan is for a wife to cross the border to activate her visa by crossing the land border and returning to Canada. Based on my little research that will trigger the production of green card and social security number both of which will be delivered to our address in the US. Anyone has done this previously in this thread or know of someone who did it successfully?

How exciting!!! Congratulations 🥳  Yes, crossing the border will activate both of those.  She can return to Canada to deliver the baby, but should move/emigrate permanently to the U.S. as soon as possible thereafter.  Good luck 🤞🏻 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.