Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,286 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, BramptonDesi said:

My DS-260 was open the entire time i beleive. I did make changes to it earlier this year as I had to renew my passport so resubmitted with new number and expire date.

Did you receive any unsolicited updates these last few weeks. Because few people are getting unsolicited updates, hopefully they’ll hear some good news soon. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
24 minutes ago, SEP-27-DS_5535 said:

Did you receive any unsolicited updates these last few weeks. Because few people are getting unsolicited updates, hopefully they’ll hear some good news soon. 

Yes, I received one on Sept 18th. 

10 hours ago, MandyMila said:

Hi there, I cleared the DS-5535 last month and received my passport a few days ago and have that temporary immigrant visa within the passport pages, and have my flight scheduled. What are the steps for US officer at the airport to activate this? Is there anything I need to do?

Literally walk up and say "Hi, I am immigrating to the States today" and the process will take 2 minutes at the booth. That was my case in Calgary airport

On 9/20/2024 at 11:24 AM, 604vancouver said:

CEAC says Issued today!! ❤️🥹😭 Thank you to everyone in this forum who has been posting their journey - AP is such an isolating experience and it makes a huge difference having a community.

See below for dates -

I-130 Filed: June 16th, 2022

NVC Case Creation: June 6, 2023

DQ: August 3, 2023

Interview: January 10, 2024

WOM Filed: July 30, 2024 (Hacking)

Passport Requested: Sept 6, 2024

Medical & Passport Received: Sept 17, 2024

CEAC Issued: Sept 20, 2024

Congrats! Our timelines are very similar and we used the same law firm lol. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 hours ago, MandyMila said:

Hi there, I cleared the DS-5535 last month and received my passport a few days ago and have that temporary immigrant visa within the passport pages, and have my flight scheduled. What are the steps for US officer at the airport to activate this? Is there anything I need to do?

Proceed to the airport and check in as per usual. When heading through immigration, let the CBP officer know that you need to activate your visa.  They will take you to secondary inspection where they will pull up the relevant information in the system, stamp your passport (make sure they stamp it - some people haven't been getting a stamp and the visa isn't technically valid without a stamp indicating entry date) and send you on your way.  

Make sure you do give yourself extra time.  It usually doesn't take long, but you could hit a day where it is slow and you don't want to miss your flight.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
11 hours ago, BramptonDesi said:

Yes, I received one on Sept 18th. 

Did you receive another update after that?

I received an update on Sept 13 and then on Sept 18.

I was hoping for email for passport request but it has been quite since then.

Timeline

I sent an email to MTL consulate on Wednesday last week and this is the fastest response i have received. As I mentioned earlier I received 3 unsolicited updates in August and it has been radio silence since. The response I received today is the following:

“This case is currently pending review by a consular officer. As soon as the review is complete, the Visa Unit will advise of the next steps if anything else is needed to complete processing the case”

Has anyone ever received this type of a response before? I don’t want to assume anything but I am under the assumption that my processing is complete and I am just waiting for someone to ask me for my passport at this point. I looked back at my previous generic responses from them and none of them are like this.

Just now, tdot2nj said:

I sent an email to MTL consulate on Wednesday last week and this is the fastest response i have received. As I mentioned earlier I received 3 unsolicited updates in August and it has been radio silence since. The response I received today is the following:

“This case is currently pending review by a consular officer. As soon as the review is complete, the Visa Unit will advise of the next steps if anything else is needed to complete processing the case”

Has anyone ever received this type of a response before? I don’t want to assume anything but I am under the assumption that my processing is complete and I am just waiting for someone to ask me for my passport at this point. I looked back at my previous generic responses from them and none of them are like this.

You’ll surely be getting email to send passport and medical. I guess the AP is clear

1 minute ago, tdot2nj said:

I received the same response on Friday. 

23 minutes ago, JanMontrealDS5535 said:

Did you receive another update after that?

I received an update on Sept 13 and then on Sept 18.

I was hoping for email for passport request but it has been quite since then.

I noticed the pattern of getting emails regarding passport and medicals were usually out on Thursdays or Fridays.

Just now, DS5535_jan2024 said:

I received the same response on Friday. 

You’re next as well!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
19 minutes ago, tdot2nj said:

I just received a reply to my email I sent on 9/12. Same response as yours: 

Thank you for your inquiry.

As soon as the current review of your case is complete, the Visa Unit will advise of the next steps if anything else is needed to complete processing the case.

We hope that this information is helpful in replying to your inquiry.
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Also, Same reply to the last email I sent. 

I checked my case status after and it hasn’t even been updated since August 22nd, is that normal to get an email with no date update? We’ve now hit the 5 month mark of the consulate having my fiancés passport. I’m strongly considering going with a law firm at this point. Does anyone mind sharing the costs they incurred going that route? Thanks in advance. 

Timeline
47 minutes ago, SEP-27-DS_5535 said:

I noticed the pattern of getting emails regarding passport and medicals were usually out on Thursdays or Fridays.

Ours came on August 8 ..  a Thursday

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.