Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,086 posts in this topic

first unsolicited update today.   appointment was June 20, 2024, refused that day.  file was update in July and now I have a September 5th update.   no email, nothing.  I really hope this is good news.  my partner and I are struggling here in Canada and would have far better support down south.  this delay is in a way hurting us by keeping us here.

Hi all - first, thanks to everyone who posts updates here. It’s been so helpful to hear about all the cases and have a better idea of what my timeline could be. 
Interview and placed on DS-5535 Aug 15 2023

Submitted form in 2 weeks after 

Case touched end of Sept 2023

Case touched again beginning of August 2024

Sent email to Montreal embassy Aug 15 2024 

Sent email to senators office Aug 20 2024

Got email for passport, police, medical and photos on Sept 13 2024 

I believe my medical and police will take 10 business days at best. I want to keep my passport as I do day in and out trips in the US for work. 

Question - for those who brought their passports in person, how did you do this? Is there a way to schedule or did you just show up in Montreal after all files were submitted? I read of a few but not sure how this was arranged!

Thanks!  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Aab777 said:

Hi all - first, thanks to everyone who posts updates here. It’s been so helpful to hear about all the cases and have a better idea of what my timeline could be. 

I believe my medical and police will take 10 business days at best. I want to keep my passport as I do day in and out trips in the US for work. 

Question - for those who brought their passports in person, how did you do this? Is there a way to schedule or did you just show up in Montreal after all files were submitted? I read of a few but not sure how this was arranged!

Thanks!  

I inquired about hand delivering it and they said it was not possible and I had to use the courier. Hopefully others have had better luck as I have now waiting almost 3 weeks after the consulate received all of my documents.

1 hour ago, EveK said:

Hello everyone, I have a question about how you approached congressman or senator for your case. Did you meet in person or sent an email to their office regarding your pending case? 

On the website of the senator there was an online form we filled out.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I inquired about hand delivering it and they said it was not possible and I had to use the courier. Hopefully others have had better luck as I have now waiting almost 3 weeks after the consulate received all of my documents.

I did also.  Via email.  Twice.  They ignored the first one and replied after a week but did not address the question directly at all.  

Timeline
3 hours ago, Aab777 said:

Thanks!  

Can’t just show up; you’ll be turned away.  I learned others were able to deliver passport early in the day for stamping and picked it up that afternoon, but with prior approval.  Apparently they put a stop to that.  I tried to arrange it via email request.  It was a frustrating exercise in futility.  Don’t waste time and effort.

Timeline
10 hours ago, tas005 said:

I sent an inquiry email to Montreal Consulate few days ago, previously I used to get auto reply within few seconds, but this time no auto reply received, should I send an email again? any one faces the same recently like no auto acknowledging email receive?

There’s simply no consistency.  Sometimes those within seconds auto replies show up, other times they do not, per my experience.  Email again.  Can’t hurt!

Timeline
12 hours ago, tas005 said:

I sent an inquiry email to Montreal Consulate few days ago, previously I used to get auto reply within few seconds, but this time no auto reply received, should I send an email again? any one faces the same recently like no auto acknowledging email receive?

These days they have turned off the auto reply option. 

I have not received auto reply to my two emails. Few months ago they used to send auto reply. Not anymore.

Hi Everyone,

Just an update on my case. Not a desirable update but would like to share with you guys. On September 13th, I received an unsolicited update on my case after a very long time. Then today I received an email response that I sent to consulate on September 6th for an update on my case. 

Case is going under administrative processing……

Does it happen to anyone else or I’m the rare case here?

would appreciate your feedback and advice.

It’s been a really frustrating September. They’ve had my passport for nearly a month now and no updates. I sent an email asking if they needed more info. We will reach out to our congressperson now because we can’t risk another expired medical (1 month out of 6 is gone) or another month of not being able to plan our lives. This process is endless heartbreak. 
I also didn’t get the auto response when I emailed this time. I think it’s normal. 

53 minutes ago, DS5535_jan2024 said:

It’s been a really frustrating September. They’ve had my passport for nearly a month now and no updates. I sent an email asking if they needed more info. We will reach out to our congressperson now because we can’t risk another expired medical (1 month out of 6 is gone) or another month of not being able to plan our lives. This process is endless heartbreak. 
I also didn’t get the auto response when I emailed this time. I think it’s normal. 

We’re in the same boat. At the end of the week they’ll have had my husband’s passport for 4 weeks. 
We’ve already given notice on our rental and started making tentative plans for travel in November. 
But same thing, so heartbreaking and discouraging to keep on waiting. 
Let us know if consulate replies. 

59 minutes ago, Kara.gana said:

We’re in the same boat. At the end of the week they’ll have had my husband’s passport for 4 weeks. 
We’ve already given notice on our rental and started making tentative plans for travel in November. 
Let us know if consulate replies. Ugh this seems like it never ends

i hope we all get some visa soon I also submitted everything last week no updates yet except the day the medical was submitted the last update date changed.. hoping I get my passport back in time for my trip to Mexico smh 

Just now, Ds5535jan said:
1 hour ago, Kara.gana said:

Let us know if consulate replies.

Timeline
2 hours ago, SEP-27-DS_5535 said:

Hi Everyone,

Just an update on my case. Not a desirable update but would like to share with you guys. On September 13th, I received an unsolicited update on my case after a very long time. Then today I received an email response that I sent to consulate on September 6th for an update on my case. 

Case is going under administrative processing……

Does it happen to anyone else or I’m the rare case here?

would appreciate your feedback and advice.

I also recieved unsolicited update on September 13. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.