Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,040 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Kara.gana said:

Did you email the consulate asking for receipt confirmation or they sent it by themselves?

My husband sent his  passport August 20th, Canada post said it was delivered August 22nd. And the clinic said they sent his medical August 22nd. I’ve seen a few unsolicited updates, but we’re almost at 2 weeks since he sent his passport. 

I didn’t email asking that per se but I had emailed earlier asking about how to change the address for the pick up and then they replied a couple weeks later saying that it was through the AIS and they confirmed they received my documents in the same email (I couldn’t wait for their response anymore which is when I found the answer myself by calling the AIS number). 

I really feel like there must’ve been a small pause cuz there’s a noticeable slowdown. I truly hope it was just the end of summer holidays. 

2 hours ago, DS5535_jan2024 said:

I didn’t email asking that per se but I had emailed earlier asking about how to change the address for the pick up and then they replied a couple weeks later saying that it was through the AIS and they confirmed they received my documents in the same email (I couldn’t wait for their response anymore which is when I found the answer myself by calling the AIS number). 

I really feel like there must’ve been a small pause cuz there’s a noticeable slowdown. I truly hope it was just the end of summer holidays. 

Ok. Makes sense. Hopefully we all hear soon. 
Yes, I noticed the pause too, hope it picks back up for everyone. 

On 9/3/2024 at 12:12 PM, as2023 said:

Please keep us informed,I am in the same situation.

To close this loop -- we received a notice on September 4 that the passport would be sent by courier, and on September 5 a note that it was available for pick up. We will pick it up today.

***In the meantime, we had reached out to our Senator's office to help move things along, and today they told us that our AP is complete and the consulate needs an updated medical and two photos...! We have not heard this from the consulate directly, but I assume we will soon. We have an update on CEAC today and the status is still "Refused." We will still pursue the L1 visa as the application is almost ready to submit, and this will give us flexibility for my husband to be in the states while our daughter and I finish up some health care stuff in Canada before we officially activate the green card. Seems things are really moving forward!

Our basic timeline for reference is below:

May 25, 2022. I-130 filed.

June 7 2023. Approved.

August 15, 2023. Documentarily qualified.

January 18, 2024. Interview, AP same day. 14 updates since then including today (Sept 6), ~3-4 solicited.

September 6, 2024. Request for updated medical, 2 photos, and passport with 6 months to expiry. (We had re-done the RCMP check in December 2023 just before the interview so that is probably still active.)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, DS5535_jan2024 said:

Has anyone had any updates at all this week? 

I got another one today. Fourth since August 23. No request for a second medical or anything yet. 

1 hour ago, spousalsponsor said:

To close this loop -- we received a notice on September 4 that the passport would be sent by courier, and on September 5 a note that it was available for pick up. We will pick it up today.

***In the meantime, we had reached out to our Senator's office to help move things along, and today they told us that our AP is complete and the consulate needs an updated medical and two photos...! We have not heard this from the consulate directly, but I assume we will soon. We have an update on CEAC today and the status is still "Refused." We will still pursue the L1 visa as the application is almost ready to submit, and this will give us flexibility for my husband to be in the states while our daughter and I finish up some health care stuff in Canada before we officially activate the green card. Seems things are really moving forward!

Our basic timeline for reference is below:

May 25, 2022. I-130 filed.

June 7 2023. Approved.

August 15, 2023. Documentarily qualified.

January 18, 2024. Interview, AP same day. 14 updates since then including today (Sept 6), ~3-4 solicited.

September 6, 2024. Request for updated medical, 2 photos, and passport with 6 months to expiry. (We had re-done the RCMP check in December 2023 just before the interview so that is probably still active.)

Hello,congratulations for being done with them,and thanks for the prompt response.Have you reached out to your senator's office after they told you to escalate the issue or way before that?

32 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Consulate had my medical & documents in hand on the 29th. Got an update on the 29th, the 4th, and today and still refused. I'm holding my breath over here. 

Me too.  I’m about a week ahead of you and still haven’t heard back. By Monday it’ll be two weeks since I heard anything so I may just write to them. I have a nexus so luckily I’m still able to see my husband if they are delayed but I know others aren’t as lucky. 

The consulate has had my husband’s passport and medical in hand since August 23rd. Today is two weeks of waiting. I’ve seen about 4 updates on CEAC, last one today. But no word from them yet. Definitely worrisome waiting this long for passport to come back. Maybe we’ll email them next week. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It’s reassuring that many are in the same position. They really dropped the ball the past few weeks. 

Consulate has had passport since Aug 15 and confirmed receipt Aug 23 (case status updated) and still no status updates since then. 

Praying that the next week brings many of us long awaited news. 

Please do provide updates as it’s been really helpful to see updates in real-time. 

5 hours ago, as2023 said:

Hello,congratulations for being done with them,and thanks for the prompt response.Have you reached out to your senator's office after they told you to escalate the issue or way before that?

We had already been in touch with them for several months, so I sent them a quick note when we weren't sure when exactly we would receive the passport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.