Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,286 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Kara.gana said:

Final update. It’s been a long stressful journey. We are thankful for this group that kept us going and provided many answers. 
IR1 visa for my husband.

February 5, 2022 I-130 submitted. 
November 25, 2022 case sent to Department of State. 
Interviewed Aug 1, 2023 and put in AP that day. Sent in DS5535 and I221G August 3, 2023. 
Had a handful of updates from Aug 2023 to July 2024, usually after email or Congressman enquiry. 
July 24, 2024 started seeing consistent updates, usually every few days. 
August 5, 2024 status changed to “expiring soon”

August 9, 2024 received medical, passport and photo request. 
August 22, 2024 passport and medical delivered to consulate. 
September 24, 2024 Status changed to Issued. 
September 27, 2024 Tracking number sent for passport

October 1, 2024 Passport and visa in hand!

Best of luck, and thanks for your update, iR5 visa DS5535 waiting since April 2023...

2 hours ago, Kara.gana said:

Final update. It’s been a long stressful journey. We are thankful for this group that kept us going and provided many answers. 
IR1 visa for my husband.

February 5, 2022 I-130 submitted. 
November 25, 2022 case sent to Department of State. 
Interviewed Aug 1, 2023 and put in AP that day. Sent in DS5535 and I221G August 3, 2023. 
Had a handful of updates from Aug 2023 to July 2024, usually after email or Congressman enquiry. 
July 24, 2024 started seeing consistent updates, usually every few days. 
August 5, 2024 status changed to “expiring soon”

August 9, 2024 received medical, passport and photo request. 
August 22, 2024 passport and medical delivered to consulate. 
September 24, 2024 Status changed to Issued. 
September 27, 2024 Tracking number sent for passport

Is it a general rule that  after a  year of  filling up  ds260 it changes to "expiring soon "status

,or it's just random.

Hello, this may be a dumb question but... how do we use the courier service to send the passport... We cannot find any information about how to do this in the request from the consulate just a statement that we should use their courier services. The link they provide us with that is supposed to allow us to request courier services is useless as far as I can tell. we ended up calling one of the customer services and they had us go to this website https://ais.usvisa-info.com/ and going through a whole process to get to this page. I just wanted to make sure that this is the process everyone else went through since it is so counterintuitive, and what did you put as your reason for request? Thank you in advanced. Somehow this keeps getting more complicated image.thumb.jpeg.1349417923acd7e88672710892d2c45b.jpeg 

I have one more question. My husband moved while we were waiting for the passport request, and our lawyer emailed the consulate to ask them to update his address and the courier location, but we never got a response from them about this. We want to make sure his address is accurate so that when they send the passport back he will have his proof of address that matches, and so that it will be sent to the right location, does anyone have any suggestions for this?

15 minutes ago, as2023 said:

Is it a general rule that  after a  year of  filling up  ds260 it changes to "expiring soon "status

,or it's just random.

As far as I have understood from others in this group:

Your DS260 opens up at the one year mark. We went ahead and updated it at the 1 year mark and submitted it without any instruction from the consulate.

As far as I understand, the two are not related. Your status may change to “expiring soon” when the consulate is getting close to sending you the passport and medical request email. 
Many others that waited longer than a year had their DS260 open at 1 year then months later have their status change to “expiring soon”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Kara.gana said:

Congratulations 🥳  🎉 🥂🍾🍾🍾 We’re anticipating receiving ours today, Oct 2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.