Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,286 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, Coco_2023 said:

Has anyone ever been denied after getting into AP?

I haven't see4n anyone personally from Montreal. Some of the High fraud countries yes for sure. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

On 9/26/2024 at 2:05 PM, Angiw said:

Hey guys.

Unfortunate to be a new member here in this thread.

EB-1A, Chinese Citizen, Canadian PR, Ph.D. from US, Materials Scientist in Canada

DQ: March, 2023

Interview: Sep 16, 2024

My CV was asked during interview, and I was given 221(g) with my passport back. The only requested document was my DS-5535.

The officer gave me two OF-194 sheets. One is 12-2010, on which they required Passports x2 (mine and my spouse's) under "you must present the documents listed above and/or the following information", and the other one is 06-2017, on which only the 221g, AP and 5535 squares were ticked. No instructions regarding passports are provided.

I filled the form (more like a questionnaire) online yesterday, and send message to my lawyer for confirmation. The lawyer said I should mail the passports immediately to them since it is requested.

So, I am quite confused. Do I actually need to mail the passports now, or I should wait for the processing of my DS-5535, and wait for notifications from the consulate?

Thanks in advance!

With everything we’ve all experienced, and what we know now, I wouldn’t recommend sending your passport until they finish processing 5535. Also, you will submit your CV electronically and the ds5535 electronically. The passport is mailed through their courier service and they send the instructions for that via the AIS. If he wanted your passports, he would’ve kept them at the interview. The ds5535 process will likely takes months and when they’re ready to finalize processing, the mailing process takes only days. Don’t send it in. 

Also - my experience with one lawyer consult is that unless a firm specializes in ds5535 and specifically with the Montreal consulate , they know nothing about it. This community knows more about it than some lawyers (the one I consulted said that I must’ve said something wrong during my interview, which triggered my ds5535) but we know it’s decided before you even do the interview. 

On 9/11/2024 at 6:52 PM, ghp2019 said:

Hi everyone,

I am EB2 applicant in Montreal office. My interview date is mid October. I wanted to plan my life and start looking for a job in US and selling my house but came across this topic here. As I am Iranian with a common name and graduated from a STEM field, what is the chance that I will be on AP and if so what would be the waiting time? As I am new here I would appreciate a summary of what are likely scenarios.

Unrelated to your question, but may I ask what is your DQ date? 

Btw, why did you not complete a military service? Whatever the reason is, you would have some documents explaining/proving that, so take with you the original document and its translation.

On 8/21/2024 at 2:56 AM, LukeCanada said:

My Visa is in hand and flight is booked in 2 days. I want to thank everyone in this thread and also all the other resources provided on Visjourney.com. It helped guide me through the process and set my expectations appropriately LOW. It's been an awful long process for me, and I know from reading this thread that many of you are suffering even longer waits than I have. I wish you all the best! Honestly, what an inhumane process and wait time for people who are getting married, trying to start a family, or trying to raise kids.

Here's the timeline in case whoever's in charge of the spreadsheet wants to include it:

Oct 2 2022: Paid for I-130

Aug 30 2023: NVC case creation date

Nov 27 2023: Consulate Received
Mar 7 2024: Interview letter received
Apr 5 2024: Interview & additional processing DS-5535 requested, DS-5535 was filled in and sent on the same day
July 25 2024: Status updated on CEAC.STATE.GOV site (no reason given)
July 30 2024: Passport requested from me, sent via Canada post on the same day, received by Montreal on July 31 2024

Aug 9 2024: Status updated on CEAC.STATE.GOV site (no reason given)

Aug 12 2024: Status updated on CEAC.STATE.GOV site (no reason given)

Aug 13 2024: Status changed to ISSUED from REFUSED
Aug 16 2024: Tracking number issued
Aug 19 2024: Passport picked up with Visa in hand

I'll bring a copy of my marriage certificate to show the border agent. Because of the extensive wait time, I will be married for over 2 years by the time I cross the Port of entry. Hopefully they won't mess it up and give me a short term green card instead of the 10 year one due to my CR-1!

Congratulations! Do you mind letting us know what triggered your AP? Seems a fast timeline.

On 9/27/2024 at 12:11 AM, CarmenD said:

I would strongly suggest updating the information in the re-opened DS-260, if you haven’t already 

Thanks again, I know I have to do medical, RCMP clearance etc. How do I update without hearing from the consulate? Each time I email, I get the message that "additional security screening is being conducted" as like everyone gets the prepopulated message.

11 hours ago, MTLaffectee said:

Hey everyone! My wife's visa status changed to issued today. Here is our brief timeline:

Interview: October 6, 2023

DS-5535 submitted: October 8, 2023

Status updates: November 3, 2023, March 7, 2024, August 23, August 26, August 30, September 6, September 13, September 26, and September 27. 

Second medical request: September 6, 2024

Passport sent and medical done: September 18, 2024

Medical sent: September 26, 2024

Visa Issued: September 27, 2024

There doesn't seem to be a logical sequence of issuing visas. Many of you sent your documents and medicals weeks ago and are still waiting whereas our medical was sent yesterday and our status changed to issued today. This whole DS-5535 experience is nothing short of an inhumane and degrading experience. We are very thankful to this community for all the guidance and support. MAY YOU ALL ESCAPE THIS HELL SOON. 

Best of luck and keep praying for the people in the forum, my status has been updated three times this month since November 2023, not sure what is going on. No email for updated RCMP police clearance, medical, travel etc. But I see DS-260 is open!!

12 hours ago, MTLaffectee said:

Hey everyone! My wife's visa status changed to issued today. Here is our brief timeline:

Status updates: November 3, 2023, March 7, 2024, August 23, August 26, August 30, September 6, September 13, September 26, and September 27. 

There doesn't seem to be a logical sequence of issuing visas. Many of you sent your documents and medicals weeks ago and are still waiting whereas our medical was sent yesterday and our status changed to issued today. This whole DS-5535 experience is nothing short of an inhumane and degrading experience. We are very thankful to this community for all the guidance and support. MAY YOU ALL ESCAPE THIS HELL SOON. 

Have you received an email to do medical, and RCMP police clearance to upload DS260, or mailed to the consulate? thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, MTLaffectee said:

29 minutes ago, CarmenD said:

100% Correct .. consulate is all over the place!  Unstructured and unpredictable!

With that said, adding my husband’s case to the seemingly substantial number of cases that moved to ISSUED yesterday, September 27.

434 days in AP/DS-5535 from interview on July 21, 2023.  Consulate received medical on September 4, and the remainder (passport/RCMP Cert/passport pics) on September 9.  Looking forward to seeing that passport return tracking number soon.  I’ll update as we move forward 😃 

Congratulations to you both! - please keep us updated on how long it takes to get your passports back. 

@CarmenD -  you mention substantial number of cases. Do you have an estimate # of those issued yesterday? 

This system is abhorhently inhumane. This uncertainty has been hard to cope with and relationships, financials and overall wellbeing is becoming straining. 

Passport was requested back on Aug 08, it was delivered on 15 Aug and still no sign of any updates since then other than replies and case status updates based on emails sent to the consulate. Last update for us was 13 Sep which was solicited.  Feeling really discouraged at this moment and really down.

Edited by DS5535TXCAN

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Abahoni said:

Thanks again, I know I have to do medical, RCMP clearance etc. How do I update without hearing from the consulate? Each time I email, I get the message that "additional security screening is being conducted" as like everyone gets the prepopulated message.

Not my intention to be rude, yet I must point out this has been explained by me as well as others previously on this thread.

You will not, I repeat, WILL NOT, be “hearing from the Consulate” with a request for, or providing instructions about updating your IV application.

You would log in to your CEAC website account.  If under “IV Application” on the lower right hand side the words “Re-opened” in red letters appear, you may/can tap on them to update whatever information has changed.  In our case, only the travel section required it.

IT RE-OPENED FOR THE SIMPLE REASON IT REQUIRES UPDATING AND YOU’RE BEING REQUESTED TO DO SO.  If you don’t see those words in red letters the IV application is NOT available to you for updating

Once completed/signed it will indicate “Completed” in the area where the “Re-opened” words appeared in red

I have a suggestion for you at this point.  Read carefully through this thread 

Edited by CarmenD
Add word

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.