Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,286 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, Angiw said:

So, I am quite confused. Do I actually need to mail the passports now, or I should wait for the processing of my DS-5535, and wait for notifications from the consulate?

Hold on to passports if you want to/intend to travel while waiting.  Once AP is complete you’ll be asked for them

Timeline
10 hours ago, tdot2nj said:

Currently getting my medical done. I am curious to know how long everyones been waiting between sending their passport to Montreal and receiving visa. I have a vacation booked at the end of October and I really want to go to that lol

Consulate received passport on September 9.  Still waiting as of September 26 for the case to update to Issued status, let alone having IV sticker passport in hand.

Timeline
10 hours ago, snowfalls said:

Just popping in to update on my timeline, my status turned to "Issued" about a week after sending my medical and passport in! Hopefully I'll have my passport back on hand soon 🙂 going to pick it up at the designated mailing location once it arrives.

Wishing everyone speedy processing times!

Thanks.  Lucky you!  Where are you located, out of curiosity?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Hopelessincanada said:

Sorry if this is a silly question. How can you see if that’s re-opened?

Not silly at all.  Log on to your CEAC account.  On the top left hand side look for this language 

“Summary Information

One or more Immigrant Visa (IV)

Application(s) (form DS-260) on your case have been reopened because updates are required. Please update the DS-260(s) as directed and re-submit the form(s). If you have any questions, please contact your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate General. Information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates can be found at https://www.usembassy.gov/

On the bottom right hand side you’ll see the words “Re-opened” in red letters

7 hours ago, CarmenD said:

I would strongly suggest updating the information in the re-opened DS-260, if you haven’t already 

I am unsure what informations to update until I hear any guidance or email from the consulate. I see DS260 is open and emailed the consulate about why it is open, so far nothing from the consulate has yet.

8 hours ago, CarmenD said:

Hold on to passports if you want to/intend to travel while waiting.  Once AP is complete you’ll be asked for them

Update your DS-260 means if any of your circumstances changes e.g. if you change your address or phone number or email or occupation…..Things like that. 

Just now, SEP-27-DS_5535 said:

Update your DS-260 means if any of your circumstances changes e.g. if you change your address or phone number or email or occupation or travel history…Things like that. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Abahoni said:

I have not received any instructions from the consulate on what to update yet, see that DS260 is open, waiting to hear from the consulate since April 2023!!

The Consulate DOES NOT email people solely to instruct them to update DS-260 information.  You sign in and update outdated information.  In our case, only for travel needed.  I give up.  

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, Abahoni said:

Praying for you along with so many people waiting after getting DS5535, be strong. I have been waiting since April 2023, nothing can be done but wait!

Thanks for your kindness. I hope we all get out of this nonsense situation as quickly as possible but I'm glad we have forums like this to exchange our experience and support each other👊

11 hours ago, Leo The Great said:

I remembered one VJ member submitted his Pakistani passport to consulate for visa and was put  in AP. He used his Canadian passport for travelling. Visa was stamped on his country of origin passport. There will be no issue if the visa is issued on other passport and you use Canadian passport for travelling.

should I inform Montreal consulate or USCIS about the update of Canadian status and Canadian passport or wait for them till they clear AP, how process will continue onwards, At what stage It will required to update my citizenship status on D-260, currently its locked.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, ShawnK said:

I would have thought USCIS would have informed them because they ask and can obviously see your consular case. In the AOS application  I wrote an explanation about what happened and the whole admin processing thing.

Do I need to email Montreal and tell them to close the case? 

Happy to hear you got sorted.  I'm sure your whole family are in a much better place! 

I don't know how many people have been in this situation.  May want to post on the general forum or toss this one in to Hacking during one of his shows!  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline

My passport has changed because i got it renewed. I was asked to send in my passport and I will be sending the new one in however the passport number they have on the DS260 is of my old one. Do I need to let them know anything? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.