Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,104 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, snowfalls said:

Also, any insights on the waiting time for passports to get stamped and returned?

It’s all over the place.  Some waiting close to a month now, while someone was just updated to Issued status merely 12 days after receipt of passport.  Continues to be inconsistent and unpredictable, as with everything concerning this Consulate.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, CarmenD said:

Wait a minute, since April after clearing AP and sending fresh medicals, or April interview and approved at that time?

Hi there, his interview was Jan 16. He completed medical on Jan 12. They put him into AP, with 221g asking to send a couple forms along with his passport. We had the complete packet in April and have had nothing since. His medical is now expired so he’s going to have to fly out and do that all over again. 

Timeline

I thought they had a policy change where medicals done after November 1, 2023, do not expire starting April 1, 2024. 

Timeline
28 minutes ago, MarDS said:

Has anyone had a passport request without new medical even though it’s been more than 6 months since medical was done?

We received a request for just passport over a month ago after a counsular officer reviewed the case. The passport has now been in their possession for 4 weeks. We have sent multiple emails prior to sending the passport to the consulate to confirm if this was a mistake and whether there are any additional items required (i.e., medical exam). The response we got was an short email with their confirmation of receiving our passport (doucments). However, when contacting AIS (courier service) to send the passport, we asked if we should get another medical, they told us to only provide what was requested.

Our last contact with the consulate, 13 sep, the email noted that the case is still pending consular officer review🤬. This likely means that our files are sitting on someone's desk waiting to be looked over and stamped. 

My theory here is that visa was approved and was going to be issued, but at the end of the interview and mind you the VO was very rushed and was talking to other VO, then comes back and out of nowhere tells us there was additional information required for our case and then provided DS5535. My hopeful thinking here is that in their system the visa was issued, and instead of requesting another medical, they'll issue the visa based on the previously approved one?🤔 The other theory I have and I sure hope to all things that are powerful in this universe that this is not the case. - Another delay tactic by requesting passport and medical individually. 😶‍🌫️I will keep you all updated on what happens. 

Did you only get a request for just your passport?  

3 hours ago, JanMontrealDS5535 said:

Just received another update today ( Sept 18).

I am very excited 😊.  Hoping for email for second medical and passport request soon. 

Anyone else received the update today?

I know someone who also received unsolicited update today (September 18th). He received two updates one on September 13th and other on September 18th. I hope people will soon get an email from the consulate for new medical and passport. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Ds5535jan said:

I also received an update on a Saturday when my medical was submitted on that Saturday around 4 am which I find odd but no updates for passport or anything else 

Lucky you. They are working on the weekend for you.

😁😃

Timeline
14 minutes ago, MTLaffectee said:

I thought they had a policy change where medicals done after November 1, 2023, do not expire starting April 1, 2024. 

I am not sure this is applicable to cases going through consular processing through NVC and the embassy. What you're referring to is the USCIS (https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/uscis-announces-new-guidance-on-form-i-693-validity-period) which is for civil surgeons that provide medical exams within the US. Whereas we all completed our medical exams with panel phyicans. 

I would be curious to know if there are any people in the group that had their passport requested that had their completed medical in Nov 2023 and were only requested for passports. This could shed light onto whether the decision from USCIS is trickling down to the consulate.

For reference my medical was completed and sent to the consulate on 15-NOV-2023. 

Timeline
24 minutes ago, DS5535TXCAN said:

We received a request for just passport over a month ago after a counsular officer reviewed the case. The passport has now been in their possession for 4 weeks. We have sent multiple emails prior to sending the passport to the consulate to confirm if this was a mistake and whether there are any additional items required (i.e., medical exam). The response we got was an short email with their confirmation of receiving our passport (doucments). However, when contacting AIS (courier service) to send the passport, we asked if we should get another medical, they told us to only provide what was requested.

Our last contact with the consulate, 13 sep, the email noted that the case is still pending consular officer review🤬. This likely means that our files are sitting on someone's desk waiting to be looked over and stamped. 

My theory here is that visa was approved and was going to be issued, but at the end of the interview and mind you the VO was very rushed and was talking to other VO, then comes back and out of nowhere tells us there was additional information required for our case and then provided DS5535. My hopeful thinking here is that in their system the visa was issued, and instead of requesting another medical, they'll issue the visa based on the previously approved one?🤔 The other theory I have and I sure hope to all things that are powerful in this universe that this is not the case. - Another delay tactic by requesting passport and medical individually. 😶‍🌫️I will keep you all updated on what happens. 

Four weeks ...just to stamp visa.

That does not sounds very productive way to do things.

58 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

After having my passport for 3 weeks, I got a 2nd update. One on the 13th and one today. Still refused though. I had made a prediction something would happen on a Thursday. Wish us luck.

We’ve had 8 updates (counting the day the passport and medical were delivered) the last one today and CEAC still says refused. 

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, DS5535TXCAN said:

Yes. Only passport request

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am not sure this is applicable to cases going through consular processing through NVC and the embassy. What you're referring to is the USCIS (https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/uscis-announces-new-guidance-on-form-i-693-validity-period) which is for civil surgeons that provide medical exams within the US. Whereas we all completed our medical exams with panel phyicans. 

I would be curious to know if there are any people in the group that had their passport requested that had their completed medical in Nov 2023 and were only requested for passports. This could shed light onto whether the decision from USCIS is trickling down to the consulate.

For reference my medical was completed and sent to the consulate on 15-NOV-2023. 

My medical was done Mar 08, 2024. Got request for passport only on Aug 26. Passport was received on Sept 03 with 2 updates. One on 9th and 13th Still refused. Medical would have expired sept 08 if the 6 months still apply. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.