Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,102 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, Hopelessincanada said:

Hi there, can I ask when you did your medical? I’m pretty sure my fiancé will have to redo his, but I’m seeing different timeframes on the medical expiration. He interviewed 6 days after your spouse. 

We hit the 180 day mark on Oct 22, so 180 days since we’ve turned in his passport and additional docs. We’re not even a DS case, but I’m seeing people who have additional background checks still getting processed quicker than ours. I don’t understand, but wondering at this point of I should just keep sending emails. 

I did my original medical in December 2023, and it expired 6 months later in June 2024. 

I would recommend getting an additional Covid vaccine as this is a new requirement (must be within last 12 months) for all medical exams in 2024 onwards.

On 6/21/2024 at 8:42 AM, Leo The Great said:

Your case is not DS-5535. Consulate asked for Resume only and it was pending review by CO in your last communication Right?

If that the case not sure why consulate is taking so much time. May be send an email to consulate regularly asking them if the case is still waiting for CO review by quoting the old reply.

I got 6 updates from the end of April to Mid May, after that no status updated at all, I dont know what is happening, i am so down because of this process,  I sent an inquiry in June and got response that my case is currently under administrative processing. As soon as the administrative processing is complete, the Visa Unit will advise of the next steps if anything else is needed to complete processing the case. Since then complete silence, I am going to send them another email now as 3 months already passed when I sent them last inquiry, and will also ask our attorney and congressman to get inquiry,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
16 hours ago, Rezasoe said:

Hello,

Apologies in advance if the following question is obvious to others.

I have a question about those applicants who cross the border to “activate”their immigration visa. It is for those who are already in the US and need to cross the border and come back to Canada and enter again? If not, are people with the visa stamp suppose to enter to the US before expiration date of the visa, stay there until they get the GC? If applicants can cross the border, activate the visa, come back to Canada and promise the immigration officer that they immigrate soon after sorting things out, what are the rules then? 
I already googled about it but did not find much official information. 

Thanks,

Yes, you will have to cross the border to get your visa endorsed before the visa expires. You can return to Canada right away, no need to wait for the GC. No need to mention that you are returning to Canada right away, unless they ask. Then you just explain you are going back to collect the rest of your things. Just do not make it sounds like you're not moving yet.

It is  normally not an issue. Only once in all my years on VJ did I see someone be turned away and told not to enter until she was ready to move. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Hi everyone,

I am EB2 applicant in Montreal office. My interview date is mid October. I wanted to plan my life and start looking for a job in US and selling my house but came across this topic here. As I am Iranian with a common name and graduated from a STEM field, what is the chance that I will be on AP and if so what would be the waiting time? As I am new here I would appreciate a summary of what are likely scenarios.

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, ghp2019 said:

Hi everyone,

I am EB2 applicant in Montreal office. My interview date is mid October. I wanted to plan my life and start looking for a job in US and selling my house but came across this topic here. As I am Iranian with a common name and graduated from a STEM field, what is the chance that I will be on AP and if so what would be the waiting time? As I am new here I would appreciate a summary of what are likely scenarios.

It is very likely that you have to go through the administration processing. Then, you have to wait for a year or so until they are done. If you did not do the military service, include a document showing that you didn’t. That is very important to them. 
I suggest you skim through some of the previous pages and take a look at spreadsheet showing some of people’s timeline. 

6 hours ago, ghp2019 said:

Hi everyone,

100%.

Hi all, I have received my passport yesterday. My visa expires on September 19th so I’m flying to the US during the weekend.

A note to everyone, my visa has a note on it saying “Clearance received on 30-July-2024” and this date is in line with the first unsolicited update I got which was 5-Aug-2024. So I am sure many of you have the clearance already but it’s a matter of time the consulate asks you to send them your passport. Keep bombarding them with emails and ask your congressman to send them emails.

Thank you everyone for the amazing support, good luck all!

9 hours ago, Rezasoe said:

It is very likely that you have to go through the administration processing. Then, you have to wait for a year or so until they are done. If you did not do the military service, include a document showing that you didn’t. That is very important to them. 
I suggest you skim through some of the previous pages and take a look at spreadsheet showing some of people’s timeline. 

What kind of document can I show that I have not done my military service?

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Ds5535jan said:

Hi everyone I received an email to submit documents which I did was wondering how long it usually takes to get passport back I have a trip to Mexico next month not sure if I will get it back in time smh 

Not sure if you have everything ready, but I've had all my documents sitting with MTL for over 2 weeks now and no updates. If you have to get a medical, I would add 5 - 10 days on top of that

56 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Not sure if you have everything ready, but I've had all my documents sitting with MTL for over 2 weeks now and no updates. If you have to get a medical, I would add 5 - 10 days on top of that

I second that… I sent my documents on the 16th and my last update was on the 26th of August. Could’ve been the timing with summer vacations but I haven’t had any news since they confirmed receipt on the 26th. 

I have been following this thread for the last year and I wanted to share my experience/timeline. 

I am a U.S. citizen who filed for my parents from Canada. They both have nexus, no criminal history, no issues ever coming into the US. 

09/13/23 - Interview at MTL Consulate - mom approved/ dad DS-5535

09/17/23- Submitted DS-5535

**random updates from this point on. My senator's office inquired a couple of times with no help**

Dad came into the US while case was in AP. 

01/17/24 - Filed WOM (knowing that there was 50/50 chance for it to work)

Beginning of March - Dad came into the country for birth of granddaughter/ to help 

03/20/24 - Found out that they will be filing a motion to dismiss

04/16/24- Judge granted Motion to Dismiss

Since my dad was still in the country at this time, our attorney recommended that we proceed with an adjustment of status. We were unsure because that would completely restart the immigration process. Finally we decided it made sense given that he was already here. 

06/14/24- USCIS received AOS 

07/19/24- Biometrics 

07/24/24 - Work authorization approved 

09/07/24- Green card approved (should we getting the card tomorrow). 

The adjustment of status was approved in 85 days (no interview). 

We were worried that maybe the Montreal consulate with approve the application during this time but nope, nothing from them. 

I can't believe how long this process was when it should have been so easy and there was absolutely no reason for the DS55-35. 

I wish you all the best!!! I know how frustrating this whole process is. 

Timeline

Hello everyone, I have two questions regarding the new medical and document request. First, starting September 1, 2024, Ontario is not administering COVID-19 booster until the vaccine is approved. Randall Lee's office assistant says that since we cannot get the booster, they will just write in unavailable. Has anyone had a similar situation recently? Second, can we send the documents through any Canada Post location or does it have to be 25 King St W location in Toronto? 

Timeline
37 minutes ago, MTLaffectee said:

Hello everyone, I have two questions regarding the new medical and document request. First, starting September 1, 2024, Ontario is not administering COVID-19 booster until the vaccine is approved. Randall Lee's office assistant says that since we cannot get the booster, they will just write in unavailable. Has anyone had a similar situation recently? Second, can we send the documents through any Canada Post location or does it have to be 25 King St W location in Toronto? 

There are several Canada Post options available. I used the one at Young & Bloor, for instance. That one was on their list of approved couriers. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.