Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,104 posts in this topic

Received an email from the consulate on Tuesday September 3rd requesting my passport and they informed me they are ready to issue my visa but it will expire on September 19th because my medicals expire on that date. They asked me if I am able to travel to the US before the 19th and I said yes.

I sent them my passport and they received it on Wednesday September 4th then I communicated with them through email and they told me they will reach out to me once the visa is issued. I received a case update on the 4th and today on the 6th, but still it shows refused on the system.

Fingers crossed I need to get my passport before September 19th and fly to the US!

Anyone had a similar case like me?

NB: My interview was on 18-Apr-2024 and have been in AP/DS-5535 since then.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
21 hours ago, Kara.gana said:

The consulate has had my husband’s passport and medical in hand since August 23rd. Today is two weeks of waiting. I’ve seen about 4 updates on CEAC, last one today. But no word from them yet. Definitely worrisome waiting this long for passport to come back. Maybe we’ll email them next week. 

The pace in moving these along has certainly decreased recently.  🤞🏻🙏🏻 this coming week will bring cases to Issued status 

Timeline
1 hour ago, 604vancouver said:

Hi everyone!

Wanted to share a positive update that I received a passport request on September 6th after 8 months of waiting!! See below for my timeline

DQ: August 3, 2023

Interview: January 10, 2024

WOM Filed: July 30, 2024

Passport Requested: Sept 6, 2024

🥳 Congratulations 🎉🥂🍾 How far did the WOM progress?  Judge heard/ruling?  

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, 604vancouver said:

Hi everyone!

Wanted to share a positive update that I received a passport request on September 6th after 8 months of waiting!! See below for my timeline

Congratulations!!! Did they request new medical?

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, 604vancouver said:

Hi everyone!

Congratulations!

May I know what lawyer you got your WOM filed by?

On 9/6/2024 at 7:47 PM, frhm said:

Received an email from the consulate on Tuesday September 3rd requesting my passport and they informed me they are ready to issue my visa but it will expire on September 19th because my medicals expire on that date. They asked me if I am able to travel to the US before the 19th and I said yes.

I sent them my passport and they received it on Wednesday September 4th then I communicated with them through email and they told me they will reach out to me once the visa is issued. I received a case update on the 4th and today on the 6th, but still it shows refused on the system.

Fingers crossed I need to get my passport before September 19th and fly to the US!

Anyone had a similar case like me?

NB: My interview was on 18-Apr-2024 and have been in AP/DS-5535 since then.

My case was updated to issued today. How long will it take for me to receive my passport?

Timeline
4 hours ago, Coco_2023 said:

Congratulations!

May I know what lawyer you got your WOM filed by?

I went with Hacking Immigration - would recommend. They said it's about a 50/50 chance that it moves the needle with the MTL consulate. They requested new medical, passport photos. 

I was told to let my attorney know when I've submitted everything so they can update the US attorney.

Edited by 604vancouver

Timeline

Does anyone know how you go about getting your passport mailed to your address when the visa is issued? 

I gave the consulate my mailing address and paid the fee at my original interview. Do we need to do this again? Didn't receive a link and I'm worried 

11 hours ago, 604vancouver said:

Does anyone know how you go about getting your passport mailed to your address when the visa is issued? 

I gave the consulate my mailing address and paid the fee at my original interview. Do we need to do this again? Didn't receive a link and I'm worried 

Call the AIS number and they will confirm. Also you can log into your AIS account and find out where it’s being mailed to. My suggestion is to ask them directly as the embassy will take longer to answer. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, DS5535_jan2024 said:

Congrats!! How long was the time between when you sent your passport to when it said issued? 

Two days according to a previous post. They got priority it looks like since they had a medical expiring in a week or two. So they will have to enter the US by then.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
15 hours ago, 604vancouver said:

I went with Hacking Immigration - would recommend. They said it's about a 50/50 chance that it moves the needle with the MTL consulate. They requested new medical, passport photos. 

I was told to let my attorney know when I've submitted everything so they can update the US attorney.

Hi there, can I ask when you did your medical? I’m pretty sure my fiancé will have to redo his, but I’m seeing different timeframes on the medical expiration. He interviewed 6 days after your spouse. 

We hit the 180 day mark on Oct 22, so 180 days since we’ve turned in his passport and additional docs. We’re not even a DS case, but I’m seeing people who have additional background checks still getting processed quicker than ours. I don’t understand, but wondering at this point of I should just keep sending emails. 

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

Apologies in advance if the following question is obvious to others.

I have a question about those applicants who cross the border to “activate”their immigration visa. It is for those who are already in the US and need to cross the border and come back to Canada and enter again? If not, are people with the visa stamp suppose to enter to the US before expiration date of the visa, stay there until they get the GC? If applicants can cross the border, activate the visa, come back to Canada and promise the immigration officer that they immigrate soon after sorting things out, what are the rules then? 
I already googled about it but did not find much official information. 

Thanks,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.