Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,091 posts in this topic

Hi - My mom who's applying for Green Card was asked to provide additonal documents back in Jan 2024 after her interview. We submitted the additional documents and the passport as requested, and soon got an email from Consulate to take the 2nd medical exam as the 1st one has expired. We completed the medical exam at the end of Feb. Radio silence since then. We received a status update on July 24. No updates since then. Seeing a lot of recent updates in this forum, any chances our case is near the finishing line as well (especially given the fact tht there is a case update at the end of July and our 2nd medical exam is about to expiring again)? Anything else we can do other than wait?

32 minutes ago, Pearljamm said:

Final update

August 12 - recieved email from Consulate to submit documents

August 14 - Document delivered to montreal consulate

August 16 - Medical Appointment 

August 23 - Consulate confirmed they have recieved documents but waiting for medical report

August 26 - Physicians sent the medical report to consulate. 
August 30 - visa issued 

this has been a long journey with everyone, I want everyone to know it’s a draining situation to be in but remember you will be reunited with your partner/family.

thank you all for the help. This website helped me a lot during my difficult times with tips and adives.

I will cross the border in September 

All the best to you and your family! Congrats on getting through this hard time. 

11 hours ago, summeras said:

Hi - My mom who's applying for Green Card was asked to provide additonal documents back in Jan 2024 after her interview. We submitted the additional documents and the passport as requested, and soon got an email from Consulate to take the 2nd medical exam as the 1st one has expired. We completed the medical exam at the end of Feb. Radio silence since then. We received a status update on July 24. No updates since then. Seeing a lot of recent updates in this forum, any chances our case is near the finishing line as well (especially given the fact tht there is a case update at the end of July and our 2nd medical exam is about to expiring again)? Anything else we can do other than wait?

Have you been emailing them? I can’t help but think something fell through the cracks here. 

10 minutes ago, DS5535_jan2024 said:

All the best to you and your family! Congrats on getting through this hard time. 

Have you been emailing them? I can’t help but think something fell through the cracks here. 

I email them every week , I have constantly reach out to get an update as well as asking local senator to reach out . I recommend doing that . 

1 hour ago, Pearljamm said:

Final update

August 23 - Consulate confirmed they have recieved documents but waiting for medical report

August 30 - visa issued 

this has been a long journey with everyone, I want everyone to know it’s a draining situation to be in but remember you will be reunited with your partner/family.

thank you all for the help. This website helped me a lot during my difficult times with tips and adives.

Congrats!! What email did you use to contact them to confirm they had received the documents?

41 minutes ago, DS5535_jan2024 said:

I've emailed them several times. Everytime I got either auto reply or no updates...We're devastated. I also called and got no real updates from them. The only answer we have is to wait...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Pearljamm said:

Final update

August 30 - visa issued 

Congratulations!!

do you mind sharing how you found out

your visa was issued? Was it an email from the consulate or a status update with your status updating from “refused” to “issued”?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
18 hours ago, summeras said:

We’re doing k1 process. My fiancé interviewed Jan 16, issued 221g requesting 2 documents and passport. We sent everything-passport included- in April. Our most recent updates were Aug 9, 13, 22, (they sent generic “your case is being reviewed” email response to my email) then nothing. My fiancé did his medical Jan 12, so that’s long since expire but they have yet to ask for a new medical. So they’ve had his passport 4 months, and now we’re sitting around waiting for them to hold it even longer and before they get around to asking for new medical. We’re giving it til the end of September then requesting the passport back. It’s ridiculous. 

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Hopelessincanada said:

We’re doing k1 process. My fiancé interviewed Jan 16, issued 221g requesting 2 documents and passport. We sent everything-passport included- in April. Our most recent updates were Aug 9, 13, 22, (they sent generic “your case is being reviewed” email response to my email) then nothing. My fiancé did his medical Jan 12, so that’s long since expire but they have yet to ask for a new medical. So they’ve had his passport 4 months, and now we’re sitting around waiting for them to hold it even longer and before they get around to asking for new medical. We’re giving it til the end of September then requesting the passport back. It’s ridiculous. 

I had a request to send back passport. Sent it with the courier in receipt and it was refused. Now on it’s back to me. Not sure why. I didn’t put my return address on the envelope so not sure where this will end up. 

Hey y'all, I'm currently in the US and my passport has been requested by the consulate. Did my medical in Canada last week, they should be receiving it in the next couple of days. Should I mail my passport from the US to family in Montreal who can then mail it to the consulate? Or just wait until I'm in Canada again, likely around mid-September. Then how long would I have to wait to get it back? I just don't wanna be away from my family too much longer.

Nearing the end of this... Just need some final bits of advice. For those concerned, you can enter Canada with just a birth certificate or other proof of Canadian citizenship, and I would have a foreign passport I can use anyways too. 

Edited by ken5535karma

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, ken5535karma said:

Hey y'all, I'm currently in the US and my passport has been requested by the consulate. Did my medical in Canada last week, they should be receiving it in the next couple of days. Should I mail my passport from the US to family in Montreal who can then mail it to the consulate? Or just wait until I'm in Canada again, likely around mid-September. Then how long would I have to wait to get it back? I just don't wanna be away from my family too much longer.

Nearing the end of this... Just need some final bits of advice. For those concerned, you can enter Canada with just a birth certificate or other proof of Canadian citizenship, and I would have a foreign passport I can use anyways too. 

Send it when you get back. The turn around is not anywhere near as long.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• Ontarkie changed the title to The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)
2 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Send it when you get back. The turn around is not anywhere near as long.

I feel like in this process every day is an eternity so I would veer toward sending it immediately via your family (make sure it’s courier to then obviously). Especially with them trying to catch up on backlogs now, you don’t want to lose your spot in the queue (if there is one when you actually get the email). I sent mine over 2 weeks ago and they confirmed by email on aug 26th that they had all my documents once the medical was sent to them. No updates since but someone else who also got confirmation that they had their documents on the 26th had their visa issued by the 30th. Hoping to hear some good news this coming week. Good luck! @ken5535karma

Edited by DS5535_jan2024

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
49 minutes ago, DS5535_jan2024 said:

I feel like in this process every day is an eternity so I would veer toward sending it immediately via your family (make sure it’s courier to then obviously). Especially with them trying to catch up on backlogs now, you don’t want to lose your spot in the queue (if there is one when you actually get the email). I sent mine over 2 weeks ago and they confirmed by email on aug 26th that they had all my documents once the medical was sent to them. No updates since but someone else who also got confirmation that they had their documents on the 26th had their visa issued by the 30th. Hoping to hear some good news this coming week. Good luck! @ken5535karma

Did you use the courier provided or your own? Does it make a difference. Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, DS5535_jan2024 said:

If Ken flew he is going to need his passport to get back on the plane. If he drove hopefully they don't grill him too badly. It's not wise to send the passport through the mail from the US and hope it doesn't take 3 weeks to make it to family. He will also be at the mercy of that family to send it in. Too many what ifs just is not worth the risks of more delays.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

47 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

If Ken flew he is going to need his passport to get back on the plane. If he drove hopefully they don't grill him too badly. It's not wise to send the passport through the mail from the US and hope it doesn't take 3 weeks to make it to family. He will also be at the mercy of that family to send it in. Too many what ifs just is not worth the risks of more delays.

I could enter with my foreign passport and I would fedex my canadian passport next day, but there is still some risk there i agree

just trying to consider all angles before I decide 

Edited by ken5535karma

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.