Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,104 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

@Superluminal

36 minutes ago, LYV said:

I think you were the one who gave me the site link of where to change your address for passport return? This is where you find and print the courier instructions to send to them. 

We called the consulate phone number and went through the automated system one of the options is courier in additional documents. Once we got an hang of someone  they walked us through this process. Feel free to give them a call if you want to feel assured. However, we were instructed to enter the documents requested by the consulate in that text box. Once completed they will send you the courier instructions. I believe you can view the same instructions via the “print instructions” link on the same site. 

Hope this helps!

Timeline
3 hours ago, DS5535TXCAN said:

@Superluminal

We called the consulate phone number and went through the automated system one of the options is courier in additional documents. Once we got an hang of someone  they walked us through this process. Feel free to give them a call if you want to feel assured. However, we were instructed to enter the documents requested by the consulate in that text box. Once completed they will send you the courier instructions. I believe you can view the same instructions via the “print instructions” link on the same site. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks, worked fine! This whole process has shattered my confidence and I just wanted some reassurance from those who just did it

On a slightly happier note, whenever you guys get your visa, the process at the Point Of Entry is very much painless. It took me 3 minutes extra to go through Customs in Calgary airport.

I brought a photocopy of my marriage certificate since I've been married for over 2 years on the day of entry. The border agent said he'd make a note and that it does matter that I told him about it.

On 8/24/2024 at 4:58 PM, Superluminal said:

Hey those who have recently sent documents to Montreal (@Canucklehead,  @ajxl888, @LYV, @northface, @4EverAp, @DS5535TXCAN), I had a question about the courier service. I got this info from the consulate:

"We strongly encourage applicants to send ALL the required documents together to the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal using our courier service. This helps process mail more efficiently and helps avoid unnecessary delays. Detailed instructions on how to use the courier service may be obtained by contacting the Official U.S. Department of State Visa Appointment Service using the contact details here https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-CA/iv/information/contact_us."

Based on that, I found this info on the website:

image.png.e2bbd3ae3a483df06a991e07f07a8e83.png

Did you all get some Certificate to be able to send your documents? I couldn't find a direct link to what to do next, but logging in the consulate scheduling page, you can select an option to send more documents:

image.thumb.png.83d715b920d48d0953ebdbf3230fea07.png

But that results in this pretty nasty warning: 

image.thumb.png.9f3da9207206755de14cebb629ba0090.png

Am I on the right path and I need to fill this out or are these unrelated and there is a different course of action I should be taking? Hoping to send all my documents on Monday.

Thanks!

Hey! I had to change my address too - call the AIS service number and they can make the change directly for you. I wasn’t able to make the change myself. They also helped me make sure I got the PDF - you absolutely need it when mailing documents because one of the pages actually goes in the envelope along with your other documents and then you keep the other page for when you pick up I believe. 

On 8/24/2024 at 4:58 PM, Superluminal said:

Hey those who have recently sent documents to Montreal (@Canucklehead,  @ajxl888, @LYV, @northface, @4EverAp, @DS5535TXCAN), I had a question about the courier service. I got this info from the consulate:

"We strongly encourage applicants to send ALL the required documents together to the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal using our courier service. This helps process mail more efficiently and helps avoid unnecessary delays. Detailed instructions on how to use the courier service may be obtained by contacting the Official U.S. Department of State Visa Appointment Service using the contact details here https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-CA/iv/information/contact_us."

Based on that, I found this info on the website:

image.png.e2bbd3ae3a483df06a991e07f07a8e83.png

Did you all get some Certificate to be able to send your documents? I couldn't find a direct link to what to do next, but logging in the consulate scheduling page, you can select an option to send more documents:

image.thumb.png.83d715b920d48d0953ebdbf3230fea07.png

But that results in this pretty nasty warning: 

image.thumb.png.9f3da9207206755de14cebb629ba0090.png

Am I on the right path and I need to fill this out or are these unrelated and there is a different course of action I should be taking? Hoping to send all my documents on Monday.

Thanks!

If I recall correctly, you can go into Print Instructions. After that, you should be able to click View Courier-in Receipt on the bottom right corner of the page to view the certificate. 

Timeline

Hi All,

I emailed on Aug 15 and on Aug 22 to provide my new passport information.

I neither receive autoreply nor email response. In both cases there was no status update.

Today(Aug 26) , I saw the status update. Does that mean it is unsolicited update?

Any thoughts? 

Timeline
33 minutes ago, LYV said:

Hi, I’m sure it’s been mentioned in the past but has anyone gone across the border to activate their visas before their actual move date? If so did you run into any issues?

Thanks!

No issue at all. My kids crossed the border to activate their visas, and we did mention at the border that we will move after the school year ends. 

Just remember to pay the green card fee after activation. Otherwise they will send you a reminder ...that usually delays the process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/25/2024 at 12:37 AM, LukeCanada said:

I brought a photocopy of my marriage certificate since I've been married for over 2 years on the day of entry. The border agent said he'd make a note and that it does matter that I told him about it.

CBP and USCIS aren't the same.  It should trigger in USCIS' system that you're an IR1, not a CR1.  If you receive your GC and it's a 2yr, file an I-90 to have it fixed.  

8 hours ago, JanMontrealDS5535 said:

No issue at all. My kids crossed the border to activate their visas, and we did mention at the border that we will move after the school year ends. 

Just remember to pay the green card fee after activation. Otherwise they will send you a reminder ...that usually delays the process.

Just be careful that your kids don't lose their healthcare from the Canadian provincial standpoint.  Information is shared and the expectation is that once that visa is activated, they are LPR's of the US.  

You can pay the GC fee before you even leave Canada.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

9 hours ago, JanMontrealDS5535 said:

Thank you!

On 8/27/2024 at 4:35 PM, Pearljamm said:

Hey everyone! 

Just wanted to update. 

August 12 - recieved email from Consulate to submit documents

August 14 - Document delivered to montreal consulate

August 16 - Medical Appointment 

August 23 - Consulate confirmed they have recieved documents but waiting for medical report

August 26 - Physicians sent the medical report to consulate. 

Now we wait 

How did you confirm if they have received all the documents?

Hey everyone. Just wanted to ask if anybody knows the turnaround time after sending in your passports?

I got my DS-5535 in May 2023 after my interview. After that I got an O-1 and have been living in the US since Sept 2023. In July 2024 I received an email to update my DS260, update the Canada Post mail info, etc. I got my new medical on July 30th and then sent all the documents (passport, new photo, etc) to the consulate on Aug 8 and it was received on Aug 9 2024 (Fedex tracking told me they received it, but I havent heard from the consulate).

Anyways, long story short, I sent everything in and it was received Aug 9th, and now I still haven't gotten an email or heard back. Whats the turnaround time at this stage? Should I expect something soon, or can it take months?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, BrKi said:

Hey everyone. Just wanted to ask if anybody knows the turnaround time after sending in your passports?

I got my DS-5535 in May 2023 after my interview. After that I got an O-1 and have been living in the US since Sept 2023. In July 2024 I received an email to update my DS260, update the Canada Post mail info, etc. I got my new medical on July 30th and then sent all the documents (passport, new photo, etc) to the consulate on Aug 8 and it was received on Aug 9 2024 (Fedex tracking told me they received it, but I havent heard from the consulate).

Anyways, long story short, I sent everything in and it was received Aug 9th, and now I still haven't gotten an email or heard back. Whats the turnaround time at this stage? Should I expect something soon, or can it take months?

Thanks!

Hi, If you check the tracker you can see recent information for people who have gotten through. Ours and others recently it has only taken 7-10 days so I would email them to confirm they have received everything and hopefully that will get them to finish processing. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.