Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

2,103 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, BramptonDesi said:

Can I ask where are you updating phone number? I need to do it as well. 

via email to Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov

Married since 2016
I-130 Approved September 2023

DQ February 14 2024

Interview May 17 2024 - Refused

Submitted DS-5535 May 20 2024

8 hours ago, LukeCanada said:

Apr 5 2024: Interview & additional processing DS-5535 requested, DS-5535 was filled in and sent on the same day
July 25 2024: Status updated on CEAC.STATE.GOV site (no reason given)
July 30 2024: Passport requested from me, sent via Canada post on the same day, received by Montreal on July 31 2024

Aug 9 2024: Status updated on CEAC.STATE.GOV site (no reason given)

Aug 12 2024: Status updated on CEAC.STATE.GOV site (no reason given)

Aug 13 2024: Status changed to ISSUED from REFUSED
Aug 16 2024: Tracking number issued
Aug 19 2024: Passport picked up with Visa in hand

That's such fast timeline. Congrats Luke and thanks for giving hope to folks!

My interview was in March and got 3 updates recently (July 31st, Aug8th, Aug 9th), but unfortunately no update after that 😕 Was getting my hopes up.

7 hours ago, 4EverAp said:

Issued !!!!!! 

Thank you all for the direct or even indirect support as i went through this tediously long process. Honestly my hopes and expectations were set very very low , and i believe that is what probably helped me cope mentally. With so low expectations anything really was a surprise. 

a quick timeline for me 

march 2023 - DQ

Oct 27 2023 -interview and given ds5535

Nov 1st - Submitted ds5535 form

Nov 3rd - First case creation and update 

march 2024 - first update despite sending form months prior 

radio silence again 

July 30th - first unsolicited update(that i noticed) 

july 31st - Update 

1st Wk August - a couple of updates 

August 8th - Request to send passport and medical 

August 9th - Took medical exam (was very lucky to find so soon) 

Aug 9th.    - sent in passport and photos after medical appointment 

Aug 19th - Received confirmation from clinic that they sent medical to embassy 

Aug 21st - finally Shows the beautiful words 

Of “issued” . 

honestly when i read those words i began crying as this was a very stressful and emotional process for my partner and I. I want you guys to know though there is an end to the tunnel. And they seem to be processing them faster now , hoping that trend keeps going . 

Congrats! Hope for us too

Timeline
14 hours ago, 4EverAp said:

Issued !!!!!! 

Thank you all for the direct or even indirect support as i went through this tediously long process. Honestly my hopes and expectations were set very very low , and i believe that is what probably helped me cope mentally. With so low expectations anything really was a surprise. 

a quick timeline for me 

march 2023 - DQ

Oct 27 2023 -interview and given ds5535

Nov 1st - Submitted ds5535 form

Nov 3rd - First case creation and update 

march 2024 - first update despite sending form months prior 

radio silence again 

July 30th - first unsolicited update(that i noticed) 

july 31st - Update 

1st Wk August - a couple of updates 

August 8th - Request to send passport and medical 

August 9th - Took medical exam (was very lucky to find so soon) 

Aug 9th.    - sent in passport and photos after medical appointment 

Aug 19th - Received confirmation from clinic that they sent medical to embassy 

Aug 21st - finally Shows the beautiful words 

Of “issued” . 

honestly when i read those words i began crying as this was a very stressful and emotional process for my partner and I. I want you guys to know though there is an end to the tunnel. And they seem to be processing them faster now , hoping that trend keeps going . 

Congratulations!!

Timeline
On 8/9/2024 at 10:01 PM, DS5535TXCAN said:

Hey y’all apologies for the long post in advance. 

I just noticed another email (US Visa Personal Courier-In Instructions) come through last night asking me to send my documents and only the requested documents (in my case my passport) via courier. I am wondering if this is because I requested instructions for how to send documents back to the consulate. However, what peaked my mind is that it had the following snippet at the end of the email regarding interview waiver processing. 

”Only include requested documents.

Interview Waiver processing times take between four to six weeks. Prior to completion of visa processing, your U.S. visa application status will appear as “No Status” when you perform an online check at https://ceac.state.gov/CEAC. The Consular Section will not respond to any email inquiries about your case until after the six-week processing time from the reception of your documents.“

does this mean the visa was previously approved and then put my application in ds5535 vetting and now they’re re-issuing it? I’m so lost 😅.

For reference the CO at the interview took my passport and put the purlator sticker on the back and shortly after changed demeanour and said they needed more info and provided me with 221g + ds5535 and asked if I wanted my passport back, which I did take back. 

Hi all, sending our heartfelt congratulations to the recent members who were issued their visas after such an ordeal. Hoping that many in this position get to reunite with their loved ones soon! 

I wanted to provide a small update to the above: 

I was requested to only send my passport (Aug 8). I emailed the consulate right away asking if they needed any additional items (medical, passport photos). After one week of silence we sent the passport. Passport delivered to consulate on 15 Aug via courier.

Today, Aug 23 we received a case update and an email from the consulate acknowledging receipt of documents and pending review from a consular officer. The email indicated that they would be letting us know if they need any additional items to continue processing the immigrant visa. 

Here’s to hoping that we see “issued” status in the next week or so without any additional document requests. 

Cheers! 

Edited by DS5535TXCAN
Spelling

On 8/19/2024 at 2:30 PM, LYV said:

Hi, wondering if you were all put in DS 5535 and then you and your kids were issued visa while your wife still waits in AP? 

We sent our visa’s and documents in. My husbands status says issued right away last week. Mine still says refused. 

Hi All,

I am happy to report we now have our passports with visas in hand and we plan to go to the border next week to activate. To add to my comment above. My husband, the primary applicant, was showing issued the day they received our medical. Mine didn’t say issued until we received the passports so not sure what happened there but just in case that happens to anyone else in the future. Our interview date was May 26, 2023. I am listed on the tracker as LYV here is an update for the remainder of the dates.

Sent passports on Aug 7 2024 and that was the day we did the medical as well. They received the medical on Aug 12 and my husbands status changed to issued that day. We got the tracking number for the passports on Aug 20 and received the passports Aug 21. We are under EB1A category. 

Timeline
24 minutes ago, halfbloodprince said:

Those who already have a b1/b2 visa, can they also get a ds-5535 while being interviewed for IV?

Short answer - Yes

Timeline
1 hour ago, LYV said:

Not sure I understand your question.

I interpreted that as, if able to visit the U.S. with Canadian passport as a tourist/visitor or visitor-temporary work visa, could 221(g) refusal with DS-5535 be given at time of interview (implication being that B1 or B2 visa precludes being issued the DS-5535)

Timeline

Hey those who have recently sent documents to Montreal (@Canucklehead,  @ajxl888, @LYV, @northface, @4EverAp, @DS5535TXCAN), I had a question about the courier service. I got this info from the consulate:

"We strongly encourage applicants to send ALL the required documents together to the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal using our courier service. This helps process mail more efficiently and helps avoid unnecessary delays. Detailed instructions on how to use the courier service may be obtained by contacting the Official U.S. Department of State Visa Appointment Service using the contact details here https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-CA/iv/information/contact_us."

Based on that, I found this info on the website:

image.png.e2bbd3ae3a483df06a991e07f07a8e83.png

Did you all get some Certificate to be able to send your documents? I couldn't find a direct link to what to do next, but logging in the consulate scheduling page, you can select an option to send more documents:

image.thumb.png.83d715b920d48d0953ebdbf3230fea07.png

But that results in this pretty nasty warning: 

image.thumb.png.9f3da9207206755de14cebb629ba0090.png

Am I on the right path and I need to fill this out or are these unrelated and there is a different course of action I should be taking? Hoping to send all my documents on Monday.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Hey those who have recently sent documents to Montreal (@Canucklehead,  @ajxl888, @LYV, @northface, @4EverAp, @DS5535TXCAN), I had a question about the courier service. I got this info from the consulate:

"We strongly encourage applicants to send ALL the required documents together to the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal using our courier service. This helps process mail more efficiently and helps avoid unnecessary delays. Detailed instructions on how to use the courier service may be obtained by contacting the Official U.S. Department of State Visa Appointment Service using the contact details here https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-CA/iv/information/contact_us."

Based on that, I found this info on the website:

image.png.e2bbd3ae3a483df06a991e07f07a8e83.png

Did you all get some Certificate to be able to send your documents? I couldn't find a direct link to what to do next, but logging in the consulate scheduling page, you can select an option to send more documents:

image.thumb.png.83d715b920d48d0953ebdbf3230fea07.png

But that results in this pretty nasty warning: 

image.thumb.png.9f3da9207206755de14cebb629ba0090.png

Am I on the right path and I need to fill this out or are these unrelated and there is a different course of action I should be taking? Hoping to send all my documents on Monday.

Thanks!

I think you were the one who gave me the site link of where to change your address for passport return? This is where you find and print the courier instructions to send to them. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.